Flirc Forums

SkipApp-0.9.955 with IR Learning - Alpha 1

jason

Newer Version Here

Locking this thread now.

**EDIT ** - Critical - Learning requires both remotes to be facing each other and about 1 inch apart.

This was a significant amount of work, with a lot more to do. But now we need some testing and ask for patience while we work through what will be a fair number of bugs.

The learning process depends on an external server. I did this for a few reasons. All my IR decoding libraries are in C, and while it's fairly easy to interface with React Native, I did not want to keep posting releases for every small change. I also don't want to ask everyone for logs. So I took my C library and created a small Rust server that accepts the raw timing from the remote and returns the codes the remote uses. I even built a frontend that visualizes the timing and results: http://ir.flirc.io

I plan on making the user interface more useful over time.

Here is how it works:

You need to be using the included firmware in order to do any recording. The version embedded is v4.13.2

You should be prompted for the firmware upgrade. If you are not prompted, please don't post here, and PM me. We need to do some hardware revision compatibility testing first. I have not fully tested for power consumption changes on the remote.

Please use the latest versions here

• Thanks 1

• jason changed the title to SkipApp-0.9.955.6989 with IR Learning
  • jason pinned this topic

What happens if I want to use a combination of the remote code device that is already on the Skip database + IR codes from learning?
For example, the Skip database device is missing 1 action and I want to add it with IR learning after I already configurare initial with the Skip database device.

• Like 1

Hi Jason,

linux version crashes under wayland.

(skip-app:92905): GLib-GIO-ERROR **: 01:27:32.741: Settings schema 'org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.xsettings' does not contain a key named 'antialiasing'
Trace/breakpoint trap (core dumped)

starts under Xorg session, but it's just an empty window.

Some undefined symbols, but these errors showed up in the previous linux version too (SkipApp-0.9.953-Beta)

/usr/lib/gvfs/libgvfscommon.so: undefined symbol: g_task_set_static_name
Failed to load module: /usr/lib/gio/modules/libgvfsdbus.so
/usr/lib/gio/modules/libgiognomeproxy.so: undefined symbol: g_task_set_name
Failed to load module: /usr/lib/gio/modules/libgiognomeproxy.so
/usr/lib/libproxy/libpxbackend-1.0.so: undefined symbol: g_strv_builder_unref
Failed to load module: /usr/lib/gio/modules/libgiolibproxy.so
/tmp/.mount_skip-aeuZjZg/usr/lib/libgnutls.so.30: version `GNUTLS_3_6_3' not found (required by /usr/lib/gio/modules/libgiognutls.so)
Failed to load module: /usr/lib/gio/modules/libgiognutls.so

btw... firmware updates inside the tool is supposed to work in the linux version? I couldn't select a file.

In the end, I'm just glad there is a linux version. I never got the remote to connect with the app under virtual windows 11. So thanks for that, much appreciated.

Edited by shining
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, asyba said:

What happens if I want to use a combination of the remote code device that is already on the Skip database + IR codes from learning?
For example, the Skip database device is missing 1 action and I want to add it with IR learning after I already configurare initial with the Skip database device.

Really good question, we're going to build something like that but we are limiting it to the basics right now.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, asyba said:

for now you can just add another device with just the teached action. It ends up in a mixed activity anyway.

• Like 2

On 12/16/2023 at 3:46 PM, asyba said:

I ran into a similar issue as I was looking to add a missing button for a device. I cannot add a new device as A B and C are all assigned. I know that additional activities are promised and it would be great to see these implemented by long and double presses of ABC.

I have backed up my remote so I can add to the testing by deleting an activity and creating a new device that way...

Edit - oh wait, I see that you don't have to start from scratch anymore, so I can just add a new device with just the missing button I require and assign it to a button. I will check it out later.

Edited by Uzi2

2 hours ago, Uzi2 said:

Edit - oh wait, I see that you don't have to start from scratch anymore, so I can just add a new device with just the missing button I require and assign it to a button. I will check it out later.

but keep in mind: you have to run through device mapping again and this resets your button configuration for that activity - no way around this atm.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shining said:

but keep in mind: you have to run through device mapping again and this resets your button configuration for that activity - no way around this atm.

This is a really good point and something I need to solve. I'm not quite sure how to do this, since on the other end, it'll be frustrating for other half of people. For example, if I got a new TV, I go back to the wizard and delete my old one and put the new one, I'd want it to remap all the buttons. We can prompt users? Or leave the ones that were manually mapped. I understand there are also an entirely different set of folks who just want to try a different device, so they swap one out and then all their custom mappings are messed up.

@shining @Uzi2 @asyba and everyone. Would like to hear some feedback on how things are going. I know there are some things that need to be fixed and improved.

I want to make sure that the devices can be learned, and codes are transmitted correctly, this is the most important part. Maybe we need the ability to test during the wizard until things are more stable.

I see on the server things have been hit or miss, although I'm not sure if it's because we need to make it more clear that the remotes need to face each other. 

1 hour ago, jason said:

This is a really good point and something I need to solve. I'm not quite sure how to do this, since on the other end, it'll be frustrating for other half of people. For example, if I got a new TV, I go back to the wizard and delete my old one and put the new one, I'd want it to remap all the buttons. We can prompt users? Or leave the ones that were manually mapped. I understand there are also an entirely different set of folks who just want to try a different device, so they swap one out and then all their custom mappings are messed up.

have a third option "just add/delete device" in the activity manager. The flow (just back and continue) in the wizard isn't disturbed then. It is a very easy initial setup.

Add a device - do nothing with the mapping. Delete a device - remove the assigned buttons from that specific device and leave the rest of the mapping intact.

• Like 2

installed win11 on a stick and installed the latest version of the skip app. FW update showed error after 12% but still managed to update the remote... ok?! ;-)

I started learning the commands. The workflow is ok - design, record, finish... but the end result is not working at all. I used a small remote from my Gigabyte Aorus FV43U and teached all commands, none is working so far.

small bug: renamed custom buttons end up in the device mapping as buttons named CUSTOM - several of them ;)

Edited by shining
typo

working codes for cursor up from Gigabyte/Aorus FO48U from the database:

"0000,006C,0022,0002,0157,00AB,0018,0012,0018,0012,0018,0012,0018,0012,0018,0012,0018,0012,0018,0012,0018,0012,0018,003C,0018,003C,0018,003D,0018,003D,0017,003C,0018,003C,0018,003C,0018,003C,0018,0012,0018,003C,0018,0012,0018,003C,0018,0012,0018,003C,0018,0012,0018,0012,0018,003C,0018,0012,0018,003C,0018,0012,0018,003C,0018,0012,0018,003C,0018,003C,0018,05FF,015B,0051,0019,0E3E"

and my learned - not working - cursor up button:

"0000,006D,0021,0000,005C,0017,0017,0017,0017,0017,0017,0017,0017,0017,0017,0017,0017,0017,0017,0017,002E,0017,002E,0017,002E,0017,002E,0017,002E,0017,002E,0017,002E,0017,002E,0017,0017,0017,002E,0017,0017,0017,002E,0017,0017,0017,002E,0017,0017,0017,0017,0017,002E,0017,0017,0017,002E,0017,0017,0017,002E,0017,0017,0017,002E,0017,002E,0017,01CD"

On 12/24/2023 at 10:03 AM, Oliver Kötter said:

(skip-app:6803): GLib-GIO-ERROR **: 10:01:39.083: Settings schema 'org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.xsettings' does not contain a key named 'antialiasing'
zsh: trace trap (core dumped)  ./skip-app_0.9.955+6989_amd64.AppImage

Manjaro Linux, Kernel 6.6.8, Gnome Desktop

You are on a Wayland session. Try Gnome on Xorg in the login settings. The program should start then, but all I got is an empty window.

On 12/25/2023 at 12:15 PM, shining said:

You are on a Wayland session. Try Gnome on Xorg in the login settings. The program should start then, but all I got is an empty window.

Yes, on Xorg I also get an emtpy window. These are the message from console:

Gtk-Message: 12:36:40.721: Failed to load module "xapp-gtk3-module"
Gtk-Message: 12:36:41.069: Failed to load module "xapp-gtk3-module"
/usr/lib/libproxy/libpxbackend-1.0.so: undefined symbol: g_strv_builder_unref
Failed to load module: /usr/lib/gio/modules/libgiolibproxy.so
/usr/lib/gio/modules/libgiognomeproxy.so: undefined symbol: g_task_set_name
Failed to load module: /usr/lib/gio/modules/libgiognomeproxy.so
/tmp/.mount_skip-aHR0niO/usr/lib/libgnutls.so.30: version `GNUTLS_3_6_3' not found (required by /usr/lib/gio/modules/libgiognutls.so)
Failed to load module: /usr/lib/gio/modules/libgiognutls.so

@Oliver Kötter @shining Linux issues you are seeing are universal, this alpha has nothing to do with linux. Start a new thread, and we can work on stuff there. Sorry if the other links are not working. Gonna fix tomorrow.

@shining Appreciate you trying to record and replay, that's really the only thing I care about.

Found a ton of bugs, both firmware and the GUI, going to post a new version tomorrow to play with. I'll lock this one and start a new one when it's ready.

• Like 2

• jason changed the title to SkipApp-0.9.955 with IR Learning - Alpha 1
  • jason locked this topic
  • jason unpinned this topic