Flirc Forums

SkipApp-0.9.955 with IR Learning - Alpha 2

jason

Critical - Learning requires both remotes to be facing each other and about 1 inch apart.

Further detail here along with video: https://forum.flirc.tv/index.php?/topic/13442-skipapp-099556989-with-ir-learning/

Changelog

• New Firmware - Many bug fixes, should replay now
  • GUI - Many bug fixes
  • GUI - Admin Panel - New IR Learning Tab for Debug (see below)
  • GUI - Windows Grid Size Fix
  • GUI - Fix Learned Automapping
  • GUI - Fix some hover statuses
  • GUI - Admin Panel - Remote Log Tab Improvement

This is helpful if we start debugging protocols. The top window is the raw capture, and the GUI assembles the timing from this array into the easily to read timing seen below it. This will also improve over time. This format is not useful if you want to create your own JSON file, but we'll get to that eventually.

I'm mainly interested in finding out if you are now able to learn and reply codes. I still need to add support for several protocols. Please, let me know how it goes.

image.png

You need to be using the included firmware in order to do any recording. The version embedded is v4.13.3

You should be prompted for the firmware upgrade. If you are not prompted, please don't post here, and PM me. We need to do some hardware revision compatibility testing first. I have not fully tested for power consumption changes on the remote.

Please use the latest versions here

• Like 2

3 hours ago, shining said:

it just works! :)

learned  the whole remote from Gigabyte/Aorus FV43U. All buttons work fine.

Bug in the GUI: Renamed "CUSTOM" buttons still end up as several CUSTOM buttons in the mapping.

Ah good catch. I’ll get that fixed. Glad it’s working. Thanks for the feedback. We can do config sharing once I fix that custom name issue. 

I'm having an issue when I try to learn more than one button. The progress bar never completes and continues to bounce after I stop sending the signal from the original remote. When I leave and return to the Record screen, it's still bouncing without mashing any buttons. Video is attached. This is on the latest MacOS.

Hello!

I am trying to install and use the Linux version of this new Alpha on Arch Linux. It comes in a TAR.GZ file labelled "x64", however when I extract the AppImage file, it's for an AMD64. I currently have an Intel I7 core, not AMD. When I run this version, I get nothing but a white screen.

The previous Linux version downloaded from the Downloads page of the Skip 1s product website works on this machine, but it does not recognize the remote. The website says it is version 0.9.953 BETA.

That said, when I attempt to run either of them with the terminal, I get error messages about LibGio. Please see the attached terminal output.

Got any ideas about this?

Skip app terminal output.txt

48 minutes ago, CFD_Cryss said:

Hello!

I am trying to install and use the Linux version of this new Alpha on Arch Linux. It comes in a TAR.GZ file labelled "x64", however when I extract the AppImage file, it's for an AMD64. I currently have an Intel I7 core, not AMD. When I run this version, I get nothing but a white screen.

The previous Linux version downloaded from the Downloads page of the Skip 1s product website works on this machine, but it does not recognize the remote. The website says it is version 0.9.953 BETA.

That said, when I attempt to run either of them with the terminal, I get error messages about LibGio. Please see the attached terminal output.

Got any ideas about this?

Skip app terminal output.txt 2.74 kB · 0 downloads

Run the one on the public website of the downloads page with sudo. I'm not sure about this linux crash.

9 hours ago, drewconner said:

I'm having an issue when I try to learn more than one button. The progress bar never completes and continues to bounce after I stop sending the signal from the original remote. When I leave and return to the Record screen, it's still bouncing without mashing any buttons. Video is attached. This is on the latest MacOS.

I found your logs and see the issue. I'll post a server side update tomorrow.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jason said:

Run the one on the public website of the downloads page with sudo. I'm not sure about this linux crash.

Thanks for the suggestion!

I've already tried running both versions in SUDO, but the public website version won't recognize the USB remote. I've tried various cords, USB ports (both type A and C). The app launches it's "First run" wizard, asking to name the remote, but it doesn't detect it. The batteries are fresh.

Thank you for replying!

I just received my Skip Remote today, and this build worked (very nearly!) perfectly. 

I setup my Haier TV, and Nvidia Shield (using a Flirc USB v2) using the existing database.

Then I recorded the remote of my Schiit Saga.

It works flawlessly, except for 'mute' which switches on, and then immediately back off. 

Not a big deal, and it might not even be related to the learning part. I'll try troubleshooting once the feature is in beta.

Initially I was using the latest beta build of the skip windows desktop app. I setup the config file to add my own .json file. I recorded the RAW IR signal of the Schiit remote using the Flirc desktop app. I should mention that I have no idea what I'm doing, and I was clearly in over my head. I exported the log file from Flirc, pasted it into chatGPT and asked what to do. 20 minutes later I was downloading IrScrutinizer and asking what the hell I got myself into. After digging around on the forum I saw your post from Friday and couldn't believe my luck. Thank you for all the hard work!

I have 2 bugs and 1 feature request. They're so low-priority that I would feel guilty if they every made it into your backlog. But I'm writing them anyways.

My 13" 1920x1080 laptop screen usually has scaling set to 150% (recommended). in this configuration the Flirc USB Windows desktop app has its UI cut off at the bottom and I cannot zoom out or scroll down to press the buttons. Setting my scaling to 100% solves the issue, but made me notice issue #2. (ok this one is more like medium priority, but likely not your problem)

When the Skip app is open and you change the scaling of your display, most ui elements scale. The glow of the buttons does not (see image). 

My feature request (again, not your problem. It's more of a feature request for IrScrutinizer) is to have Flirc compatibility! They support IrWidget, Global Cache, and IrToy, which are all basically the same hardware as the Flirc.

Either way, keep up the great work. Thank you!

ps

ok 2 feature requests! In the UI for learning, it should be made clearer that you need to repeatedly click the button that you want to learn (not just press and hold) some codes repeat when held down, but others do not. Maybe it was indicated, but I missed it. A repeating click!click!click! animation would be great.

skip scaling.png

Ok, so I pm-ed Jason for the firmware that I'm not prompted about, but am still running into issues for which I don't know if they're limited to this version or if anything else is going on.

I have started programming my Skip and notice that, apart from creating activities, there are very few options available in the app. Cloning activities, swapping letters, troubleshooting an activity, changing timing for devices etc are all grey and can't be used. I need, for example, to repeat the signal to my Panasonic TV to make sure it turns on but I can't find how to edit this in the app.

Is this something to do with me using this Alpha version or is there something else I need to try? I would really like to use this version because of the learning capability as I have an unusual soundbar that's not in the database.

Edited by Aziraphale

Ok, so I managed to update to the 4.13.3 firmware by using some tips from the forum. Learning now works a treat but the batteries are giving me problems. They seem dead but work again after I take them out for a minute or so. Could this be a problem with the firmware?

1 hour ago, Aziraphale said:

Ok, so I managed to update to the 4.13.3 firmware by using some tips from the forum. Learning now works a treat but the batteries are giving me problems. They seem dead but work again after I take them out for a minute or so. Could this be a problem with the firmware?

I'm not sure if this pertains to you or not, but I noticed the battery springs are close to the PCB. The battery contacts to the springs aren't made properly sometimes. The springs ends up touching the plastic wrappers of the battery instead of the negative contact.

Also, have you changed the batteries away from the pack-in ones that came with the remote? Mine died in a day so I replaced them with some Amazon batteries.

It seems to be fine as long as I don't jostle the remote too hard.

On 12/31/2023 at 6:16 PM, ijustwantoneflircingremote said:

I just received my Skip Remote today, and this build worked (very nearly!) perfectly. 

Then I recorded the remote of my Schiit Saga.

It works flawlessly, except for 'mute' which switches on, and then immediately back off. 

Not a big deal, and it might not even be related to the learning part. I'll try troubleshooting once the feature is in beta.

Go to the new learning tab in the advanced tab, press and hold the mute button. Do it again. Copy the results and share them here.

Initially I was using the latest beta build of the skip windows desktop app. I setup the config file to add my own .json file. I recorded the RAW IR signal of the Schiit remote using the Flirc desktop app. I should mention that I have no idea what I'm doing, and I was clearly in over my head. I exported the log file from Flirc, pasted it into chatGPT and asked what to do. 20 minutes later I was downloading IrScrutinizer and asking what the hell I got myself into. After digging around on the forum I saw your post from Friday and couldn't believe my luck. Thank you for all the hard work!

Thank you, really appreciate it. It was a technical marathon. Yes, I connected with the creator, and I'm working on direct integration.

My 13" 1920x1080 laptop screen usually has scaling set to 150% (recommended). in this configuration the Flirc USB Windows desktop app has its UI cut off at the bottom and I cannot zoom out or scroll down to press the buttons. Setting my scaling to 100% solves the issue, but made me notice issue #2. (ok this one is more like medium priority, but likely not your problem)

Is the GUI in compact mode? Press the three dots in the bottom right, go to settings. Display. Change regular screen resolution to compact. It should auto detect this, but maybe it's not working.

ok 2 feature requests! In the UI for learning, it should be made clearer that you need to repeatedly click the button that you want to learn (not just press and hold) some codes repeat when held down, but others do not. Maybe it was indicated, but I missed it. A repeating click!click!click! animation would be great.

This is a known issue. If you go to settings, accessibility, there is an option: Recording: IR Trouble shooting mode. This forces it to only use one frame. But we are going to improve this and make it automatic in the next or next next update.

5 hours ago, Aziraphale said:

It's firmware. Working on a version to log to help me figure out why.

• Like 1

On 12/30/2023 at 7:25 PM, CFD_Cryss said:

Thanks for the suggestion!

I've already tried running both versions in SUDO, but the public website version won't recognize the USB remote. I've tried various cords, USB ports (both type A and C). The app launches it's "First run" wizard, asking to name the remote, but it doesn't detect it. The batteries are fresh.

Thank you for replying!

We see why Linux is not working and should have an update on the next release. Hopefully in the next 2-3 days.

• Like 3

On 12/30/2023 at 9:35 AM, drewconner said:

We're going to improve the way it fails, this was not okay.

But I found the codes you are using and updated the server libs. If you fire up the same version again it should work. Let me know.

On 1/8/2024 at 9:55 AM, Aziraphale said:

Is there any way I could log things for you to help you?

I'm sorry for the delay. This was actually a problem in existing firmware. I think I got it. In new beta.

Thanks for the feedback and testing. Almost there on linux. I was hoping to have this done for the next release but we're stuck on one last problem.

New update released. The biggest part of the next update is the firmware. locking.

** Edit **

https://forum.flirc.tv/index.php?/topic/13729-skipapp-09955-with-ir-learning-alpha-3/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• jason locked and unpinned this topic