Flirc Forums

Switch HDMI Input on A/B/C

Dragon

Hello, I was wondering if it is possible to switch HDMI inputs when pressing the A/B/C buttons. For example, I have an A/V receiver that has 2 HDMI inputs. When I press button A, I would like the receiver to switch to input 1, and button B to switch to input 2. This way I could automatically switch to the input source, and start controlling it rather than having to select input 2, then press B to control the second device. Is it possible to do this?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, Nicolas M. said:

Actually I think it’s possible by adding a custom action through the interface. Selecting your TV on the right and drag n drop the « Set HDMIx » to the on/off button below « Power On ». 
didn’t test it but should work no ?

Yes, that's how it currently works. Right now the power button is set up to send all of the commands for turning on and switching inputs. You can actually set up any Skip button to send multiple commands by dragging and dropping.

25 minutes ago, Nathan said:

Yes, that's how it currently works. Right now the power button is set up to send all of the commands for turning on and switching inputs. You can actually set up any Skip button to send multiple commands by dragging and dropping.

FYI, If you re-run the wizard it will overwrite any customizations you've done to the power button.

On 1/12/2023 at 5:36 PM, Dragon said:

Hello, I was wondering if it is possible to switch HDMI inputs when pressing the A/B/C buttons. For example, I have an A/V receiver that has 2 HDMI inputs. When I press button A, I would like the receiver to switch to input 1, and button B to switch to input 2. This way I could automatically switch to the input source, and start controlling it rather than having to select input 2, then press B to control the second device. Is it possible to do this?

Really can not believe this is not possible! How the hell are you going to switch from HDMI input then when you start an activity. 

They should look at how the Harmony remotes and software work!

• Like 1

I too am used to the Logitech way but I think I see now how to handle this here for now as my receiver has a combined action of Power On and Input selection in the list of commands.  I don't think that's great though when switching activities... hm.

Edited by isoprene
more info

On 2/23/2023 at 6:11 PM, isoprene said:

I too am used to the Logitech way but I think I see now how to handle this here for now as my receiver has a combined action of Power On and Input selection in the list of commands.  I don't think that's great though when switching activities... hm.

Right. If the Power button were always "Power ON," then this would be OK, but it's often (usually?) a toggle, so having two activities for a cable box and a streaming box on the same TV would turn the TV off when switching between the two. I'd rather have a set of commands that are sent when switching activities that are not required to include Power.

7 hours ago, dhwalker said:

Right. If the Power button were always "Power ON," then this would be OK, but it's often (usually?) a toggle, so having two activities for a cable box and a streaming box on the same TV would turn the TV off when switching between the two. I'd rather have a set of commands that are sent when switching activities that are not required to include Power.

My LG TV defaulted to power toggle but I was able to change it to power on/off so switching activities should work better. Removing power from other activities would be an option as well? Modify the power button like any other button.

Edited by cybergrimes

4 hours ago, cybergrimes said:

Although after changing this I have no idea how the Skip knows if it needs to send power on or off, maybe that's why it's defaulting to power toggle...

I'm in a similar position.  Combined with the firmware issues of inconsistent sending of signals, I'm going to set this remote aside and wait for an improved firmware release.   I can't test effectively when I'm not sure signals are even being sent.

• Like 1

I mapped the "red" button as my power on/input select macro. When I want to watch TV, I hit Activity A, the Color button, then the Red/Up Arrow.

I also set the power button to power off everything by configuring both the power on and power off to have only power off. The one downside to this is if I use the wizard to add device, it overwrites the customization. Fortunately going into the wizard generally only happens when creating the Activity.  Also, I export my configuration and back it up to github so I can always revert back if I make a mistake.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am not affiliated with Flirc. I'm just a friendly guy with a (strange) passion for remote controls
My Skip 1s Configuration: https://github.com/benjaminmetzler/skip_remote
Find me on Mastodon at: https://mas.to/@benjaminmetzler

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 1/12/2023 at 11:36 AM, Dragon said:

On 1/12/2023 at 2:32 PM, Nathan said:

Not currently. This is a feature that I think will be added in time, just because enough people have been asking for it. But no idea on a timeline for that. Fairly large list of features we'd like to get added. 

Hello...

Is there a timeline for adding input switching to the A/B/C buttons as Dragon mentioned above?

I just got my Skip 1s to replace my EOL Harmony remote, and I don't want to have to power everything off in order to switch inputs (my Samsung TV is an older LCD model and it takes a while to start).

image.png.aa02a0b399f17b3aab88f559e4184303.png

TV - Samsung LN52A650A1F
STB - Cisco Explorer 9865HDC (Button A, HDMI-1)
Fire Stick (Button B, HDMI-3)

• Like 1

On 11/6/2023 at 8:36 PM, HPM said:

Hello...

Is there a timeline for adding input switching to the A/B/C buttons as Dragon mentioned above?

I just got my Skip 1s to replace my EOL Harmony remote, and I don't want to have to power everything off in order to switch inputs (my Samsung TV is an older LCD model and it takes a while to start).

image.png.aa02a0b399f17b3aab88f559e4184303.png

TV - Samsung LN52A650A1F
STB - Cisco Explorer 9865HDC (Button A, HDMI-1)
Fire Stick (Button B, HDMI-3)

Plus 1 on this here too - same for me - it's dumb to be power cycling the TV all the time just to change between Kodi box and Apple TV box

As noted above, that's not currently possible with the activity buttons. I'm hoping the developers will add the functionality sooner rather then later. Until the developers add macro support to the buttons, your best bet is to create a macro on one of the Color buttons that switch inputs after the Activity is set. It's an extra couple buttons to press to switch, but it saves you from shutting everything off.