Flirc Forums

Battery does not last for more than a day

Shiv

2 hours ago, Wrathwielder said:

Hi Jason and all!

I ordered a few days ago and expect the Skip shortly. I'll post a "battery longevity" update after I start using it :)

Not sure if ALL the remotes you have been shipping are from the same batch from a while back (as you mentioned), or if you have done any new runs...?

Thanks!

-Greg

I'll await your results before I buy mine.

7 hours ago, Wrathwielder said:

Hi Jason and all!

I ordered a few days ago and expect the Skip shortly. I'll post a "battery longevity" update after I start using it :)

Not sure if ALL the remotes you have been shipping are from the same batch from a while back (as you mentioned), or if you have done any new runs...?

Thanks!

-Greg

I have been screening before shipping. I have not caught any. 10 of these as exchanges, .02% failure. Maybe double it, call it .04%. 

Unfortunately, the happy folks don’t post on the forums 

My issue was different and didn't require a return. The batteries were not making contact with the positive terminal in the battery slot. Pulling the center part of the "flat" positive terminal on the remote fixed this. BTW it must have been off by fractions of a mm - I wasn't even sure if I had changed the spring at all.

Check this thread

On 9/29/2023 at 11:10 PM, jason said:

I have been screening before shipping. I have not caught any. 10 of these as exchanges, .02% failure. Maybe double it, call it .04%. 

Unfortunately, the happy folks don’t post on the forums 

Since this is the case I'll go ahead and place my order now then. :)

I hate to pile on, but I think I'm having the same issue. I updated the firmware about a week ago, and I've been through three sets of batteries since. I'm using rechargeables, so I'm keeping up with the drain without using up alkalines, but it'd be nice to have a fix.

My order number was SHOP-36838.

Thanks much!

On 10/5/2023 at 5:39 PM, georgmi said:

I hate to pile on, but I think I'm having the same issue. I updated the firmware about a week ago, and I've been through three sets of batteries since. I'm using rechargeables, so I'm keeping up with the drain without using up alkalines, but it'd be nice to have a fix.

My order number was SHOP-36838.

Thanks much!

Are you using the .22 firmware, I posted in this thread.

43 minutes ago, borez said:

@jason would like to request a replacement too. Flashed to the latest .21 firmware that you posted, and batteries drained in less around a week, against a fresh set of rechargeable. Remote was not even used, LED brightness set at 20%.

Was a kickstarter backer, happy to take it via PM.

I’m puzzled by this. Yours wasn’t in this group of remotes and it’s been ten months? 

Out of this group of people, I’ve sent replacements and only received one remote back for analysis. That remote had bad caps like I thought. 

I’ve seen my firmware fix the battery in half a dozen remotes as I can easily reproduce the existing issue under the right conditions. I’m going to publish the firmware next week. 

18 hours ago, jason said:

I’m puzzled by this. Yours wasn’t in this group of remotes and it’s been ten months? 

Out of this group of people, I’ve sent replacements and only received one remote back for analysis. That remote had bad caps like I thought. 

I’ve seen my firmware fix the battery in half a dozen remotes as I can easily reproduce the existing issue under the right conditions. I’m going to publish the firmware next week. 

Oddly, my previous post disappeared so I’m reposting this. I’ve not used this since Day 1 as I’m waiting out for the bugs to be resolved. For warranty purposes, I received the remote only in March, so it’s less than 10 months.

If you see my posts, I’ve reported battery life issues as early as June.

Will wait for the .22 release. If that doesn’t work would like to request for a replacement please.

Edited by borez

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/15/2023 at 3:41 PM, georgmi said:

I've got the .21 firmware from page 1 of this thread, but I don't see a .22 version? I'm more than happy to try it out if I can figure out where to grab it from. :)

@jason Any word on a .22 version of the firmware? I've double-checked that I have the .21 version and I'm still seeing the drain issue. Thanks!

34 minutes ago, Mastermax54 said:

Hi,

New user, and battery not standing more few hours.....

I tried differents battery, also the same problem.

Tug the springs. It’s not the battery or the software.

Take pics before and after. I can’t reproduce this. May be it’s temperature related.

Focus on the positive terminals. 

On 11/7/2023 at 6:40 PM, jason said:

Tug the springs. It’s not the battery or the software.

Take pics before and after. I can’t reproduce this. May be it’s temperature related.

Focus on the positive terminals. 

Hi,

Thanks for the answer

This is the photos, seems goods ?

Thx

before.jpeg

after.jpeg

EDIT:

Battery not working more. They stop working suddenly.

Edited by Mastermax54

Don't want to hijack the tread, but wanted to share my experiences. Ever since I got my remote this summer it seems to periodically stop responding. First thought was it was a battery problem, fresh set of batteries later still no response. Clicking activity buttons at the top did not illuminate, no light on the center ring either. Fix I found was to take batteries out, wait about an hour then plug them back in. This has happened to me probably 6 times since this summer, but still using my original set of batteries. Just stumbled onto this forum and did some investigating on my positive battery terminals (springs?). Difficult to get anything in there to measure with, but the positive contact on the battery protrudes roughly 1.3mm from the surface of the battery. Sticking some shims in the remote, the spacing of the positive terminals was indeed very close to that same thickness. Took a little screwdriver out and bent out those springs a bit, about exposed to the plastic surface. Will try to keep posted here if I have trouble with the remote not responding again. Last time it stopped responding I was able to connect to it via my laptop, but the buttons didn't work... I expect this to be normal since I assume it draws USB power when plugged in? Remote is running firmware version 4.12.19.

21 hours ago, chrisharling said:

Don't want to hijack the tread, but wanted to share my experiences. Ever since I got my remote this summer it seems to periodically stop responding. First thought was it was a battery problem, fresh set of batteries later still no response. Clicking activity buttons at the top did not illuminate, no light on the center ring either. Fix I found was to take batteries out, wait about an hour then plug them back in. This has happened to me probably 6 times since this summer, but still using my original set of batteries. Just stumbled onto this forum and did some investigating on my positive battery terminals (springs?). Difficult to get anything in there to measure with, but the positive contact on the battery protrudes roughly 1.3mm from the surface of the battery. Sticking some shims in the remote, the spacing of the positive terminals was indeed very close to that same thickness. Took a little screwdriver out and bent out those springs a bit, about exposed to the plastic surface. Will try to keep posted here if I have trouble with the remote not responding again. Last time it stopped responding I was able to connect to it via my laptop, but the buttons didn't work... I expect this to be normal since I assume it draws USB power when plugged in? Remote is running firmware version 4.12.19.

I  don’t think our issues have anything to do with the battery contacts.

In my case, the batteries are consistently flat with low voltage. If it was a contact issue the batteries would have been at full charge.

The only thing we can do is wait for a fix, hardware or software.

However, your problem seems to be with the remote crashing, so it might be different.

Edited by borez

I received my Skip 1s yesterday. Set it up on Windows 11 to control my Sceptre tv, Vizio Soundbar and Plex HTPC via Flirc usb. Awaiting a Flirc Fire Cube usb. The batteries that came with it lasted 3 hours. New batteries today lasted 2 hours. Updated with the file Jason posted so we’ll see…I really want this to work…

2 hours ago, arenaej said:

I received my Skip 1s yesterday. Set it up on Windows 11 to control my Sceptre tv, Vizio Soundbar and Plex HTPC via Flirc usb. Awaiting a Flirc Fire Cube usb. The batteries that came with it lasted 3 hours. New batteries today lasted 2 hours. Updated with the file Jason posted so we’ll see…I really want this to work…

When it seems dead.Without taking out the batter, I’d like you to press and hold the number 5. Then 1. Then plug it into the computer. Go to preferences. Accessibility. Enable admin panel. Go to the gear icon in the top right corner. Go to logs. Remote tab log. Refresh. Copy and paste that here. 

I installed the update that Jason posted…when I connected to the skip app to make some tweaks to my program a firmware update popped up so I installed it. Batteries now going on 12 hours so something is different. I’ll use it over the rest of the week and see how it goes…@Jason, if the batteries fail I’ll follow your instructions and post the results…thanks for your help.