Flirc Forums

Battery does not last for more than a day

Shiv

I did experience once, where the remote was unresponsive and would not light up. I had to remove the batteries and put them back in to get it to work again, but that only happened once, in the past week or so, of using this FW.

Having a separate issue, where the down button does not navigate down on my pi0 libreELEC kodi player.

I downloaded the v0.9.955.7086 [fw-fix] software on the 11th and updated the remote firmware to v4.12.23.  I also installed brand new batteries at the same time.  Unfortunately the batteries appear to be dead this afternoon after seven days of light use.

Earlier in the week (on the 12th) I noticed a lockup where the remote stopped responding after pushing a few buttons, so I went through the process of holding down 5 then 1 before plugging it into the computer.  The remote was detected and started working correctly again after disconnecting it from the computer.  Sadly today (18th) the computer couldn't detect the remote until the batteries had been replaced.

One further thing.  I also went through the process of installing the Flirc software on my media PC this week and noticed that there was a period where the USB dongle was detecting repeating signals after the remote had been sitting idle for a few minutes.  Specifically it was showing that 'key 3' and later ' key yellow' (which I had mapped to F3) were flashing on the onscreen GUI.  I haven't observed this behaviour since then and haven't been able to reproduce it, but I mention it in case it is somehow linked to the batteries draining.

flirc-remote-control20240112.log flirc-remote-control20240118.log

Edited by Melchromate
typo

On 1/17/2024 at 4:32 PM, georgmi said:

Updated to the new firmware, putting in fresh batteries, will report back.

@jason Six days later, my batteries are completely flat. Couldn't get any logs, and then even removing them and putting them back in didn't get me any activity. Had to replace them with fresh ones.

• Sad 1

On 1/10/2024 at 1:09 PM, jason said:

I think I got it. I can not figure out how this happened to everyone so often. It must be strictly timing, because I essentially played the remote like a 2 year old playing a piano until I was able to reproduce it. I analyzed the logs until I was able to understand what was going on. We'll do some internal testing, but I'd really be appreciative for some feedback to make sure I got it. 

Essentially, the remote appeared dead. If you took the batteries out and put them back in, it would reset it and fix it. Essentially, it was stuck in a state blocking presses. However, if stuck in this state long enough, it could drain the battery. 

Mac Download

Windows Download

You should be prompted for a firmware update. Update it, and you wont need to do anything else. If you are not prompted, do the following:

• Close the software
  • Unplug the USB-C cable
  • Remove the batteries.
  • Press and hold the return and center key while you insert the USB-C cable (image attached)
  • Start the software

If the above doesn't work, PM me.

Thanks for the patience, this was a bitch.

image.png

Unfortunately this does not work for me. The remote is just dead with no lights, and not detected on any PC. The device is warm to the touch when I plug into the PC with batteries inside.

I've been trying to obtain support since Day 1 for a non functional remote, and my request for a RMA has gone silent. Please understand that there are equally frustrated buyers who have been more than patient to get this working.

Appreciate a definitive response please.

Edited by borez
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I updated the remote to 4.12.23. Prior to the update, I don't recall the version that was on the remote but the batteries lasted ~2.5 months. With 4.12.23, the new batteries lasted ~2 weeks. In addition, the remote has locked up several times and required the batteries removed to restore operation. 

8 hours ago, laarj said:

I updated the remote to 4.12.23. Prior to the update, I don't recall the version that was on the remote but the batteries lasted ~2.5 months. With 4.12.23, the new batteries lasted ~2 weeks. In addition, the remote has locked up several times and required the batteries removed to restore operation. 

I have another update to solve one more edge case for battery drain. Regarding lockup, I need help to determine the reason. 

When it locks up, wait 30 seconds, do NOT remove the battery.

• After 30 seconds, Does the remote respond? Details please.
  • Without removing the batteries, via USB, connect to the SkipApp. Is the remote detected, does it respond?
  • What is your current Firmware Version
  • Go to the admin panel. go to the Logs Tab, Go to the sub Remote Logs tab. Hit refresh a few times. Attach the remote logs.
  • Go to the USB Tab and attach the results of the following commands (show us if anything is stuck)
    • "proc" Short for process
    • "butt" Short for buttons

In the future, any posts without these details will just be removed. Really sorry, this thread is the bane of my existence. People not returning RMA's. People not following up with necessary details. A bunch of remotes returned had hardware issues that were in earlier builds. But I have 6 remotes, no lockups anymore. So please help me help you.

CleanShot 2024-02-13 at 09.08.02.png

CleanShot 2024-02-13 at 09.07.45.png

Hi @jason since I update to gd911a15 did't have any crash/lock/dead , but today I click the button Profile A and it light two times and then it was dead, any other button nothing, so I follow the steps:

Remote Model SKIP.1S.RELEASE.A06
Firmware Version 4.12.23-0-gd911a15
Skip app: 0.9.956 [Beta]

Logs:

<2>task_start(41): Hypnos: v4.12.23
<1>malloc_addblock(61): Heap Block: 0x20002C0C - 0x20007BFF (19k)
<1>log_rcause(378): BOD33 BOD12 SYST WDT EXT POR
<1>log_rcause(385): F F T F F F
<2>crash_report(208): ***** Hardware Exception *****
<2>crash_report(212): ------------------------------
<2>crash_report(213): r0: 0x0000d407
<2>crash_report(214): r1: 0x00010214
<2>crash_report(215): r2: 0x20007f28
<2>crash_report(216): r3: 0x20007f23
<2>crash_report(217): r12: 0x20002c70
<2>crash_report(218): lr: 0x000112d0
<2>crash_report(219): ra: 0x0000dc89
<2>crash_report(220): xpsr: 0x0100dc09
<2>crash_report(224): *******************************
<1>init_remote(280): Initializing Past Profile: A
<3>usb_hotplug(46): Connected

First proc:

{
"USB": 86255
}

First: butt:
It show really fast something like

Sending message...

but it disappear

Other proc:

{
"USB": 300136
}

Other butt: same as before.

After clicking any button of the remote, (light the white color of the profile).
any "butt" commands respond something like depending the button I click.
{
   "5": {
      "Released": 2440
   }
}

I got a new message that a new update to install : [0.9.957] , Should I install this?

• Database - SMSL - SU-8
  • Firmware - Bug fix that can cause power leak
  • Firmware - Bug On power up where LED ring may not dislay

I removed from PC, but remote is dead. I removed the batteries and put it again, same dead.
I think the batteries got depleted, took almost 2 weeks...
I think the crash/dead is auto restarting the remote, so I did't notice any "dead" behavior like old firm versions, but still is consuming batteries somehow... that is my thought not sure if the auto restar after crash is something that you added recently or is just my assumption.

Edited by asyba

2 hours ago, asyba said:

Hi @jason since I update to gd911a15 did't have any crash/lock/dead , but today I click the button Profile A and it light two times and then it was dead, any other button nothing, so I follow the steps:

Remote Model SKIP.1S.RELEASE.A06
Firmware Version 4.12.23-0-gd911a15
Skip app: 0.9.956 [Beta]

Logs:

<2>task_start(41): Hypnos: v4.12.23
<1>log_rcause(385): F F T F F F
<2>crash_report(208): ***** Hardware Exception *****
<2>crash_report(212): ------------------------------
<2>crash_report(213): r0: 0x0000d407
<2>crash_report(214): r1: 0x00010214
<2>crash_report(215): r2: 0x20007f28
<2>crash_report(216): r3: 0x20007f23
<2>crash_report(217): r12: 0x20002c70
<2>crash_report(218): lr: 0x000112d0
<2>crash_report(219): ra: 0x0000dc89
<2>crash_report(220): xpsr: 0x0100dc09
<2>crash_report(224): *******************************
<1>init_remote(280): Initializing Past Profile: A
<3>usb_hotplug(46): Connected

First proc:

{
"USB": 86255
}

First: butt:
It show really fast something like

Sending message...

but it disappear

Other proc:

{
"USB": 300136
}

Other butt: same as before.

After clicking any button of the remote, (light the white color of the profile).
any "butt" commands respond something like depending the button I click.
{
   "5": {
      "Released": 2440
   }
}

I got a new message that a new update to install : [0.9.957] , Should I install this?

• Database - SMSL - SU-8
  • Firmware - Bug fix that can cause power leak
  • Firmware - Bug On power up where LED ring may not dislay

I removed from PC, but remote is dead. I removed the batteries and put it again, same dead.
I think the batteries got depleted, took almost 2 weeks...
I think the crash/dead is auto restarting the remote, so I did't notice any "dead" behavior like old firm versions, but still is consuming batteries somehow... that is my thought not sure if the auto restar after crash is something that you added recently or is just my assumption.

Thanks, very much appreciate the information. I did push an update v0.9.957 with new firmware that catches another issue like this. Please try it and repeat the process if it happens again.

• Like 1

Thank you. This was helpful. I think I understand what's going on. Give me about a week to work this out, do some tests, scope some signals, and I'll likely have an update soon. But I'm certain I understand now. 

@furyflirc Tell me a bit about what you were doing when this happened. Was it sitting for a while and you pressed a button only to find it didn't work? Did it seem to fix itself after 30 seconds? Were you using it and it randomly stopped? Any chance you know the last button pressed?

Regardless, I have a suspicion of what it is. I have thrown the remote, hammered all the buttons, sat on it. I can't reproduce it. However, I threw it in my bag, and when I pulled it out when I got home, it was stuck. I saved it by powering it externally, brought it to work, measured the power, and see that the processor is not in sleep. So it's not stuck asleep. It seems like it's stuck in a loop. Something called a watchdog timer should crash it after 5 seconds when it's stuck, and it's not. So it must be when that feature is disabled, and that's only in a couple spots. Stay tuned, and thanks for all the logs. Although they don't point to this, they point 'around' this.

3 hours ago, jason said:

Thank you. This was helpful. I think I understand what's going on. Give me about a week to work this out, do some tests, scope some signals, and I'll likely have an update soon. But I'm certain I understand now. 

@furyflirc Tell me a bit about what you were doing when this happened. Was it sitting for a while and you pressed a button only to find it didn't work? Did it seem to fix itself after 30 seconds? Were you using it and it randomly stopped? Any chance you know the last button pressed?

Regardless, I have a suspicion of what it is. I have thrown the remote, hammered all the buttons, sat on it. I can't reproduce it. However, I threw it in my bag, and when I pulled it out when I got home, it was stuck. I saved it by powering it externally, brought it to work, measured the power, and see that the processor is not in sleep. So it's not stuck asleep. It seems like it's stuck in a loop. Something called a watchdog timer should crash it after 5 seconds when it's stuck, and it's not. So it must be when that feature is disabled, and that's only in a couple spots. Stay tuned, and thanks for all the logs. Although they don't point to this, they point 'around' this.

Hello @jason,

I was using the remote and everything was working fine last night. I woke up today and I tried to use it to turn my tv on, buy it was completely unresponsive and did not come back until I plugged it into my computer. So I decided to grab all the info you requested and post here.

I can't be 100% sure, but I think the last button I pressed was the big round one at the center of the ring, so the "enter" button.

• 1 month later...

Hi @jason today my remote crash, I wanted to turn off my devices but the remote did't react no lights.
My last button was the "stop" symbol and B or A profile and Power button. the "stop" it work but the power off did't. the profile A/B don't know if work or not. Also, since it was dark, maybe I pressed another buttons.

Connected to the PC. Open the skip app and the remote light again to Profile A.
This are new batteries from 1 week ago.

Its a long time that I did't have any issues, maybe a wrong timing combination press buttons did the crash.

Firmware Version 4.12.24-0-g26a2b80
Skip App 0.9.965 [Beta]

Logs:

<2>task_start(41): Hypnos: v4.12.24
<1>log_rcause(385): F F F F F T
<1>init_remote(276): Initializing Profile: A
<3>usb_hotplug(36): Disconnected
<2>profile_handler(114): A pressed
<2>profile_handler(114): A released
<2>default_handler(163): Okay pressed
<2>default_handler(163): Okay released
<2>profile_handler(114): B pressed
<2>profile_handler(114): B released
<2>default_handler(163): Power pressed
<2>default_handler(163): Power released
<2>default_handler(163): 5 pressed
<2>default_handler(163): 5 released
<2>default_handler(163): 8 pressed
<2>default_handler(163): 8 released
<2>default_handler(163): Vol Down pressed
<2>default_handler(163): Vol Down released
<2>default_handler(163): V

proc
sending message

butt
{ "RW": { "Released": 104690 } }

I got the Skip 1s a few days ago and am having the same lock-up issue. Pulling the battery and waiting 30 seconds fixes the problem. I can't use the remote in this state and am ready to get a refund.

Firmware version is 4.12.20-0-g37a2e44+ (see attached screenshot)

I'm using the 0.9.965 version of the skip app in Linux and don't see and Admin page showing the log and/or firmware.

Please help since I really want this to work. What do I do now?

Screenshot_2024-03-19_16-53-57.png

3 hours ago, ajmxco said:

I got the Skip 1s a few days ago and am having the same lock-up issue. Pulling the battery and waiting 30 seconds fixes the problem. I can't use the remote in this state and am ready to get a refund.

Firmware version is 4.12.20-0-g37a2e44+ (see attached screenshot)

I'm using the 0.9.965 version of the skip app in Linux and don't see and Admin page showing the log and/or firmware.

Please help since I really want this to work. What do I do now?

Screenshot_2024-03-19_16-53-57.png

The latest firmware is 4.12.23. I'm not sure if firmware updates are going to work in linux unfortunately. I can supply a tool for linux, but unfortunately, I am absolutely swamped.

4.12.23 will be better, but still has one bug. I'm working on it.

The same thing has been happening with mine (I am on Alpha 3 firmware). Taking out the battery for few second helps to reboot the remote. It only happened with Alpha firmware that I need with button programing. Beta firmware before that I used I remembered did not have this problem. 

46 minutes ago, roland said:

The same thing has been happening with mine (I am on Alpha 3 firmware). Taking out the battery for few second helps to reboot the remote. It only happened with Alpha firmware that I need with button programing. Beta firmware before that I used I remembered did not have this problem. 

It’s always after a period of no use right? Like you pick it up and it’s unresponsive. Not right in the middle of pressing during operating an activity?

I reproduced it and I fucking fixed it. Jesus christ. I'll post a video tomorrow. 

I swear I sat here for 3 hours with logging pressing buttons until I got it to happen. I analyzed the logs until I saw a pattern, tried it, never got it to happen. But noticed it only happens after pressing a/b/c 

It's strictly a timing issue. Edge case, and I understand why it can happen, but don't understand why it wont 'unstick'.

But I handle these specific buttons in interrupt context. So I changed this. I queue them and move them into my normal task manager and it works fine.

I'll push an update as soon as possible. GUI is currently a mess, so we need to clean it up. I'll look at some kinda remedy for everyone this week.

• Like 2

If the attached video doesn't work, here is cloud link: https://share.flirc.io/3196CdTQ

This took me about 5 minutes to reproduce of pressing the B button. It is purely timing. If you press a profile button at an exact moment in time, we cause the issue. You do not need to press the profile button in repetition. It can be A/B/C/Color dots at the exact moment after any subsequent button. 

I confirmed in lab today, in this state, it's stuck and using more power. So you might have pressed this sequence, put the remote down, come back the next day, see it stuck, and it would have had an impact on battery life. This was not the only issue that caused this in this thread. I fixed 3 other edge cases and documented them. I have also replaced a few remotes that were in the first batch of shipments, and completely unrelated.

Firmware update coming, it's already solved. Just a matter of getting it into a release and publishing. Let's hope this is the last edge case.

• Like 3