Flirc Forums

Just got the Skip 1s, can’t use it.

GreyFoxRTX
Go to solution Solved by jason,

App won’t recognize the remote. I do have steam. Will uninstalling it fix the problem? This is kind of ridiculous that it does t work and the only post by the creator I see is asking someone if they have steam and then not elaborating. 

4 hours ago, GreyFoxRTX said:

@jason I see you post a lot telling people to DM you for answers, but can you just post what to do for people like me who buy this device and can't use it because "reasons"?!

Can you tell me if this works: 

Ringtune

are you able to connect to the remote and change the led color?

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, jason said:

Can you tell me if this works: 

Ringtune

are you able to connect to the remote and change the led color?

This works, I can change the color of the LED. But obviously still can't use the remote to do any remote things. 

Edited by GreyFoxRTX

19 minutes ago, GreyFoxRTX said:

So there is nothing I can do to use this remote until this fix?

I’m at a loss. Windows forces us to use a framework and then permits other developers to lock us out of our own device. 

we issued a fix and it asks you for permission and a password and it is supposed to reverse their registry modification. That has seemed to work for 75% of people. Were you prompted for a password?  You can try right clicking the app and running as administrator. 

now that it doesn’t work for you I don’t know what the hell to do. The fact that our other software works proves the point that windows fucks us because they force us to use their dumb sandbox. 

so I have to write a client that our app talks to which talks to the remote. I don’t know what else to do. I’ve spent hundreds of hours on this dumb problem. 

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, jason said:

I’m at a loss. Windows forces us to use a framework and then permits other developers to lock us out of our own device. 

we issued a fix and it asks you for permission and a password and it is supposed to reverse their registry modification. That has seemed to work for 75% of people. Were you prompted for a password?  You can try right clicking the app and running as administrator. 

now that it doesn’t work for you I don’t know what the hell to do. The fact that our other software works proves the point that windows fucks us because they force us to use their dumb sandbox. 

so I have to write a client that our app talks to which talks to the remote. I don’t know what else to do. I’ve spent hundreds of hours on this dumb problem. 

I am not asked for a password. Can you post here whatever the newest version I should use is and a list of instructions. Trying to search through old threads with other people having problems is slightly confusing. I do get a Windows UAC prompt but it doesn't seem to do anything. 

Edited by GreyFoxRTX

4 hours ago, jason said:

So I just noticed the app says "connecting" but it never does. I have no place to insert a password, so if you could elaborate on that?

I don't know if this helps but feels related to the same issue.  As I posted in Feb, since the last few version prior something changed and the software does not connect any more (yes steam is installed and this is windows 11).

Just tried 0.9.965.7443, same thing.  Things of note.

If I start the application with the remote already attached I get a Windows UAC dialog asking to approve when the software loads, but then then it sits there connecting.... for ever.. If I remove it and connect the remote nothing, no prompt for UAC, no connection.

If I go into the admin page in the app and use the select device and connect, the connection icon briefly tries, and then I get error 500 reported back.

If the app is loaded and the remote (first time only) is connected, initially I never got a dialog, but after restarting the app after updating, and repeating the steps so I could to write this now it's working.

Also if you don't agree or disagree to the UAC it does prompt again...sometimes.

Swapping between the two remotes I have, makes no difference and doesn't change anything.

I'm happy to help test any code, as its as equally frustrated as I backed this and the two remotes are still not in use, as waiting for other features to appear (naturally these are  held up by this issue).

3 hours ago, Jilas671 said:

I don't know if this helps but feels related to the same issue.  As I posted in Feb, since the last few version prior something changed and the software does not connect any more (yes steam is installed and this is windows 11).

Just tried 0.9.965.7443, same thing.  Things of note.

If I start the application with the remote already attached I get a Windows UAC dialog asking to approve when the software loads, but then then it sits there connecting.... for ever.. If I remove it and connect the remote nothing, no prompt for UAC, no connection.

If I go into the admin page in the app and use the select device and connect, the connection icon briefly tries, and then I get error 500 reported back.

If the app is loaded and the remote (first time only) is connected, initially I never got a dialog, but after restarting the app after updating, and repeating the steps so I could to write this now it's working.

Also if you don't agree or disagree to the UAC it does prompt again...sometimes.

Swapping between the two remotes I have, makes no difference and doesn't change anything.

I'm happy to help test any code, as its as equally frustrated as I backed this and the two remotes are still not in use, as waiting for other features to appear (naturally these are  held up by this issue).

Admin page in the app? Where is that?

16 minutes ago, GreyFoxRTX said:

Admin page in the app? Where is that?

I don't have the pc open, but from memory, if you look in the bottom right corner there is a menu 3dot , in there go into settings and you should have an option to enable the admin tab. 

2 hours ago, Jilas671 said:

I don't have the pc open, but from memory, if you look in the bottom right corner there is a menu 3dot , in there go into settings and you should have an option to enable the admin tab. 

Thanks, not that it helped make the Remote work but always nice to know. 

2 hours ago, GreyFoxRTX said:

Thanks, not that it helped make the Remote work but always nice to know. 

I understand you are frustrated. I have an idea that will be easier to implement but not as elegant. Basically, I'll make this a two step process.

• I'll add the ability to export the binary config that gets downloaded to the remote. This will export into a file.
    • Step two will be to launch another program that will be able to upgrade the remote, as well as load this file. That is all.
  • This will evolve into an app that SkipApp talks to. Basically, it will launch alongside SkipApp and handle the device communication when this situation happens. It will take a bit longer to implement this, and iterate on this elegantly. But will be our goal.

Please be patient, it's just me and one other developer at the moment. I'll try and have something for you this week. I'm really sorry for this frustrating inconvenience.

57 minutes ago, jason said:

I understand you are frustrated. I have an idea that will be easier to implement but not as elegant. Basically, I'll make this a two step process.

• I'll add the ability to export the binary config that gets downloaded to the remote. This will export into a file.
    • Step two will be to launch another program that will be able to upgrade the remote, as well as load this file. That is all.
  • This will evolve into an app that SkipApp talks to. Basically, it will launch alongside SkipApp and handle the device communication when this situation happens. It will take a bit longer to implement this, and iterate on this elegantly. But will be our goal.

Please be patient, it's just me and one other developer at the moment. I'll try and have something for you this week. I'm really sorry for this frustrating inconvenience.

Well I'll gladly test it.

@jason any update? Going on a week I can't use this remote. I also think maybe it should be mentioned on the sale page that Steam/Logitech G Hub causes issues. I can only imagine the amount of people who purchase one of these and don't think to go to the forums for support.

• Solution

Downloads:

SkipApp Tool
SkipUpdate for Config Files

Description:

Thanks for your patience, this was a lot of work. You'll need special versions of software for now. But here is a summary of what you do. Use our app as you would. When you are ready to 'sync', you'll export your configuration with a special process.

1. Enable special export by pressing 'tab' 3 times while in the tools tab
  2. Click Export Remote Configuration
  3. Save to Disk
  4. Open up skipUpdate Tool and load the saved config
  5. Sync

Here is a video demo and a link if the embedded video doesn't play.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jason said:

Downloads:

SkipApp Tool
SkipUpdate for Config Files

Description:

Thanks for your patience, this was a lot of work. You'll need special versions of software for now. But here is a summary of what you do. Use our app as you would. When you are ready to 'sync', you'll export your configuration with a special process.

1. Enable special export by pressing 'tab' 3 times while in the tools tab
  2. Click Export Remote Configuration
  3. Save to Disk
  4. Open up skipUpdate Tool and load the saved config
  5. Sync

Here is a video demo and a link if the embedded video doesn't play.

This worked. Glad to finally be able to use this device and it's working great with my new CoreELEC box. Thank you for taking the time to respond and fix the issue. I still think this information should be somewhere on the page because I have to assume a substantial portion of people who buy this device use Steam.

Thanks for letting me know it was working and thank you even more for the patience and support. I will not only document and pin this, I will improve on it. I don’t know if Microsoft will ever fix the issue so the goal will be to talk to the remote through an outside app and you skipapp wont know the difference. It’ll take a bit of time but it’s doable. 

30 minutes ago, DisplayName said:

Thanks for the video and thanks for the solution. Just wanted to chime in and let you know that everything works on my end now as well :)

That’s great. I’m working on a more elegant solution at the moment. It will take me a bit of time but I’m in the middle of it.