Flirc Forums

OSMC remote

Would it be possible to add support for the OSMC remote that can be used with KODI ? https://osmc.tv/store/product/osmc-remote-control/

I didn't find this remote in list in the app, and choosing flirc/kodi (which I thought would be similar) didn't work. I also tried to record the OSMC remote using the Alpha-4 software, but it wasn't able to detect any of the buttons.

Thanks!

Edited by mrak

On 1/24/2024 at 1:55 PM, mrak said:

Would it be possible to add support for the OSMC remote that can be used with KODI ? https://osmc.tv/store/product/osmc-remote-control/

I didn't find this remote in list in the app, and choosing flirc/kodi (which I thought would be similar) didn't work. I also tried to record the OSMC remote using the Alpha-4 software, but it wasn't able to detect any of the buttons.

Thanks!

I think their remote is RF. 

52 minutes ago, mrak said:

Almost all remotes are RF today.

The type of remote control used often depends on the device category. Streaming devices such as Nvidia Shield, Apple TV, and Roku typically utilize RF (Radio Frequency), whereas TVs, AVRs, and DVD/Blu-ray players tend to rely on IR (Infrared), although exceptions exist. Many devices that come with an RF remote still support IR functionality. For example, my Apple TV includes an RF remote but also supports IR. To date, I haven't encountered a TV that lacks IR support.

Regarding the OMSC remote you mentioned, my suspicion (though it could be incorrect) is that it registers as a keyboard when connected, similar to numerous other comparable devices. Certain companies specialize in crafting customized remotes for entities like OSMC. Thus, it likely transmits a combination of media key presses and other keyboard shortcuts when its buttons are pressed.

Ben