Flirc Forums

What users a programmable remote expect to do...and some minor issues

Dragonfly

Very nice hardware, but:

Most new Skip 1s users have probably had extensive experiences with a programmable remotes, like the Logitech (or another brand) and where looking to replace those. Hence the Skip 1s. In this relatively young form I've already found several users having trouble with changing Activities, as did I. Changing an activity from A to B or C should also be able to change the HDMI input on your TV as well as changing the power states of used/unused devices, without using the Top Power button.

When pressing buttons A B C, the most basic function they should perform is changing those parameters. Given your users past experience, it's also what they expect those programmable button can do. There should be no workarounds necessary, as I've seen posted. That's not intuitive at all. An experienced may be able to use that, but imagine what the WAF would be like.

So, I'll ask the developers directly; Will, in the very near future, the ABC buttons be made programmable to do that and not just via the Power button?

Some other issues I've encountered:

• When my Windows PC or my Laptop resumes from a sleep state, the remote remains disconnected. Reinserting the USB cable makes no difference. You'll need to restart the software again.
  • When creating a new activity by choosing a default one and then renaming it, the textbox looses focus if you'll enter a space.
  • I'm using a Nvidia Shield. Why is there a limited number of programmable options? There's no (context)menu button for instance and what does 'Shield' do?
  • Maybe enable the option to hide the tips window (Seasoned users would have known all its features after a while)
  • For those who don't, re-enable the tooltip as to what the 4dot menu in the buttons panel section does (as seen on previous video's)
  • Like 4

Well, I agree... It was clear that most of users would want the remote to work as a Harmony (or similar ones). I thought that and it is obvious that it is true because of the whole bunch of posts in the forum with questions about it. I don't know why the remote have been designed to work the way it works... I don't find any advantage. It is way worse. It annoys experienced users and it doesn't make easier for beginers to use the remote. But it was designed that way and the creators continues to defend that, providing annoying workarounds that make the remote more difficult to use and it converts the experience in a way more unpleasant one. 

As it is programmable and even the creators have confirmed that they could make the remote work as desired, I hope they rethink about it and change the firmware (or provide two versions of the firmware for the user to select and use the most convenient). The creators perhaps think that there is only "a little fraction" of users asking for this behavior. But I don't think so. First of all, some user won't write in (or even know the existence of) this forum. For other users, this will be their first intelligent remote controller, so they won't miss the Harmony-like behavior (but I'm pretty sure they would prefer this Harmony-like mode if they would test both). 

Well... now, we only can sit and wait... :-(  

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

I completely agree with the OP.

Frankly, I picked up the Skip remote precisely because I was looking for a successor to Harmony. I've been using Harmony since before Logitech purchased them, and was sad to hear Logi was discontinuing them. I even have an old one I'm keeping around in reserve in case one of mine breaks.

Therefore, I was happy when it looked like someone was picking up where Harmony left off. I was in the middle of setting up my remote, had a question and came here to look for an answer, but was REALLY dismayed to see that the activity switching behavior is not on par with Harmony.

So, sorry, Skip is going back in the box before I even finish setting it up. I won't like using it, and DEFINITELY my family will not like using it.

I'll continue to monitor updates on the remote, and hope to see that it will soon get to a state where it can effectively replace my aging Harmony.

---
Edit: I felt like I needed to come back and add a few thoughts.

First, sorry for sounding so harsh.

Second, we really do need a proper successor to Harmony. I hate to keep bringing that brand up, but in my mind, they're the gold standard (even defunct as they are).

I am REALLY ROOTING for this remote to succeed. The hardware is beautiful. I like where the setup wizard is headed. I like the lighting functions and layout. I hope the devs are listening :-)

Edited by Chris B

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2024 at 12:29 AM, lignumaqua said:

@Chris B You aren't the only one who feels like this. My Skip has been sitting in its box on my desk since the day after it arrived for exactly the same reason - no ability to switch activities cleanly. Never even bothered showing my wife as I know it would be a waste of time. 

Same situation with mine, I was really hoping they'd have it figured out by the time my Harmony bit the dust, but it looks like it's still not user friendly yet with at least 3 button presses and turning the tv on and off to switch things.

I'm on the hunt for a drop in replacement to the Harmony, but until then I guess I'll have to put up with the broken buttons and cracked screen on my old remote while this one sits in a drawer waiting for software updates. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Smart activity switching is coming. Unfortunately, learning took a long time, and we are about done and ready to push. 

We hit a roadblock (unrelated) with a huge effort we were working on over the past 5 weeks, we'll be back on this soon.