Flirc Forums

Remotes not detected by any computer

snds

On 1/14/2024 at 12:28 PM, rlively said:

In my original post I mentioned that I tried exiting the app, closing Steam, and reluanching and that didn't help.

There was an update to the Skip app I took before this test. Then I changed the Steam settings not to automatically launch at startup restarted Windows (holding Shift to get the blue screen to force it to do a "real" restart not a fast startup). In the skip app the indicator at the bottom stayed on "Connecting" for 10 minutes and never changed.

Logs attached.

LocalState20240114.zip 10.6 MB · 0 downloads

I'm really sorry, this is just as frustrating for me. I have a workaround but am only 50% there and wont be finished for another couple of weeks. If you have another computer without steam, you can try it there. Or I believe windows allows you to create app sandboxes.

This whole thing is complete bullshit. Windows requires us to use their framework for USB, and then Steam installs a driver that hijacks all USB devices on a system and doesn't allow our own app to connect to it. We have modified our app to launch an escalated second process to undo it, however, it's not working on your machine. And this workaround we created violates windows own terms of App creation which would prevent us from being in their own app store.

It's absolutely insane. Fuck windows and fuck steam. After uninstalling steam, they leave this bullshit on the PC and it still is broken. 

I enabled SVM in my bios and looked into enabling the Windows Containment you mentioned, but I'm on Windows 10 Home not Pro so it's unavailable. I am running Comodo Internet Security though which has a containment feature so I used that.

When I launch SkipApp.exe contained, it just hangs at the blue screen with the logo in the middle. Checking Comodo logs I see that it launched WerFault.exe but never SkipDeviceRestrictionBroker.exe so I'm assuming it just crashed when it was unable to prompt for UAC and launch the restriction broker.

At least that's what it did the first time - there after it just opens then immediately closes. I see it launching WindowsPackageManagerServer.exe.

• 3 weeks later...

Just for good measure here are some of my logs with the same issue (Steam installed, SkipDeviceRestrictionBroker.exe running but not fixing the connection issue.)

I can use skipUpdate to flash the firmware so the remote itself and communication via USB does work.

Windows Sandbox (no MSIX support) as well as virtualized Hyper-V Windows instances (no direct USB passthrough) also won't work as a workaround.

I'm testing a few other workarounds at the moment and will update this post if I have any success.

edit:

Using VirtualBox with a basic evaluation copy of Windows 11 to pass through the USB device for the Skip 1s works fine with Skip App 0.9.956 Beta and Nightly build 7194:

image.png.74ef2cb7796129a65b71e9702d613734.png

flirc_devicebroker-2_5_2024.log flirc20240205.log

Edited by spucktier

7 minutes ago, rlively said:

@jason Any update on a possible workaround or fix for this? You mentioned that uninstalling Steam won't even help because Steam leaves traces behind that still interferes. Is there any way I can set up this remote on a machine that has Steam on it?

A reliable workaround is what I described above: Download the default Windows 11 ISO from Microsoft https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows11/ then use VirtualBox to run a virtual machine with it. Pass the Skip 1s USB device through and the Skip App will recognize it without issues.

Make sure to export and save your remote configuration from the Skip App outside of the virtual machine or in a shared folder so you can - if required - reinstall Windows 11 after the evaluation priod has expired.

Just bought this remote, in the same boat. I don't have Steam running on start, nor do I have Logitech G Hub. I'm on 0.9.957.

What I've discovered so far is that if I don't remove the batteries and re-add them to force re-wake the remote, I will get a USB Malfunction Error from Windows stating the device I last connected malfunctioned during driver setup.

Once I do that however, it just hangs at "Connecting" in the app.

I'm by no means well versed in it however I've finally been able to move away from manually flashing my keyboard's firmware with desktop terminal config apps (QMK Toolbox) and now just use VIA's web app in Chrome. I think theirs is an electron app however, maybe this is an future alternative since you are trying to have one app to rule them all?

This is basically a paperweight, VM isn't really an option and my work Macbook apparently has blocks on unknown devices being plugged into the USB ports.

I had to zip my log files because both were larger than the file limit.

flirc_devicebroker-2_15_2024.zip

Edited by elpeterson

1 hour ago, jason said:

This is not possible.

I don't know what to tell you, my company has it setup to prevent USB port access. Had to request my keyboard be allowed since it's an ErgoEZ and not the bluetooth issued ones we have. Does that matter though? I shouldn't have to do this regardless...

Furthermore, I just setup an Ubuntu VM, which also doesn't work out of the box since:

The latest versions of Ubuntu ship with a newer version FUSE, aka the ‘Filesystem in User Space’ interface that AppImages rely on to work: FUSE 3 is the default in Ubuntu but AppImages are designed to use FUSE 2.

These are a ton of hoops to jump through that should be documented somewhere.

1 hour ago, elpeterson said:

I don't know what to tell you, my company has it setup to prevent USB port access. Had to request my keyboard be allowed since it's an ErgoEZ and not the bluetooth issued ones we have. Does that matter though? I shouldn't have to do this regardless...

Furthermore, I just setup an Ubuntu VM, which also doesn't work out of the box since:

The latest versions of Ubuntu ship with a newer version FUSE, aka the ‘Filesystem in User Space’ interface that AppImages rely on to work: FUSE 3 is the default in Ubuntu but AppImages are designed to use FUSE 2.

These are a ton of hoops to jump through that should be documented somewhere.

I have two VMs running now, but experiencing the same issue, not sure where to find logs in Ubuntu however. I'll try to get them from my Windows VM.

Windows 11, only Skip installed: remote connected, activity created, hit sync button "error occured while syncing"

Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS, only Skip & FUSE 2 installed: remote connected, activity created, hit sync button "error occured while syncing"

Remote Firmware is 4.12.23-0-gd911a15 if that matters.

On 2/12/2024 at 4:55 PM, spucktier said:

A reliable workaround is what I described above: Download the default Windows 11 ISO ... then use VirtualBox ... Pass the Skip 1s USB device through and the Skip App will recognize it without issues.

Thanks, I was able to program my remote using a Win11 VM.