Flirc Forums

Remotes not detected by any computer

snds

9 hours ago, Daniel said:

Ok. Well, tell me if there's anything more I could test. I'm in no hurry to get it working and being a systems developer I know how infuriating this kind of problems is :-D

Can you try this: https://update.flirc.tv/skipapp/pr/998/SkipApp-0.9.80.6180-mg-hid-broker-test-build-x64.msix?token=skipAppUpdate

This should give us more information. Post the logs and anything spit out in any console window that pops up.

22 minutes ago, jason said:

This should give us more information. Post the logs and anything spit out in any console window that pops up.

Ok. The console window didn't say much, it's just complaining about a non existing directory (I don't know if the problem is that the folder is in reality named SkipApp_sddpyax1dmvqm, not SkipApp_vg5akken3mtem?). Pasting the output below and attaching logfile!

r-6_28_2023.log, Reason: Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Users\damal08\AppData\Local\Packages\SkipApp_vg5akken3mtem\LocalState\flirc_devicebroker-6_28_2023.log'.
Logger::Print failed for file C:\Users\damal08\AppData\Local\Packages\SkipApp_vg5akken3mtem\LocalState\flirc_devicebroker-6_28_2023.log, Reason: Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Users\damal08\AppData\Local\Packages\SkipApp_vg5akken3mtem\LocalState\flirc_devicebroker-6_28_2023.log'.
Logger::Print failed for file C:\Users\damal08\AppData\Local\Packages\SkipApp_vg5akken3mtem\LocalState\flirc_devicebroker-6_28_2023.log, Reason: Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Users\damal08\AppData\Local\Packages\SkipApp_vg5akken3mtem\LocalState\flirc_devicebroker-6_28_2023.log'.
LoggerShouldSendAppServiceMessages = True
Logger::WriteLine failed for file C:\Users\damal08\AppData\Local\Packages\SkipApp_vg5akken3mtem\LocalState\flirc_devicebroker-6_28_2023.log, Reason: Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Users\damal08\AppData\Local\Packages\SkipApp_vg5akken3mtem\LocalState\flirc_devicebroker-6_28_2023.log'.
LoggerShouldWriteToFile = True
Logger::WriteLine failed for file C:\Users\damal08\AppData\Local\Packages\SkipApp_vg5akken3mtem\LocalState\flirc_devicebroker-6_28_2023.log, Reason: Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Users\damal08\AppData\Local\Packages\SkipApp_vg5akken3mtem\LocalState\flirc_devicebroker-6_28_2023.log'.
GUID_DEVINTERFACE_HID = 4d1e55b2-f16f-11cf-88cb-001111000030

flirc20230628.log

8 hours ago, jason said:

No don't remove it. Unfortunately, whatever it installs or does, never gets removed. When you plug in the remote, their service, or driver changes a field in the system registry which sets a restriction on our device. Our own app no longer has access to it. That's what the second process is, to ask for permission to change the field back. But it's not running, and we'll figure out why.

Even after uninstalling, the field continuously gets set. It's unbelievable. 

** EDIT **

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/properties/props-system-devices-restrictedinterface

This is the first time i can recall seeing a issue like this with third party devices and steam. The only things steam itself tends to interact with at the device level generally is with input devices (including hid) for the steam controller input system (and some other devices if you install Steam VR). I would like to validate that steam is actually making system level changes myself.

to be accurate with terminology, when you say "system registry" you are referring to the Windows Property System "System.Devices.RestrictedInterface" and not a actual windows registry entry itself within HKCU or HKLM?

I'm on windows 11 22H2, build 22621.1848

46 minutes ago, StephenM64 said:

This is the first time i can recall seeing a issue like this with third party devices and steam. The only things steam itself tends to interact with at the device level generally is with input devices (including hid) for the steam controller input system (and some other devices if you install Steam VR). I would like to validate that steam is actually making system level changes myself.

to be accurate with terminology, when you say "system registry" you are referring to the Windows Property System "System.Devices.RestrictedInterface" and not a actual windows registry entry itself within HKCU or HKLM?

I'm on windows 11 22H2, build 22621.1848

All over the internet are complaints that steam does this.  

To reproduce:
- We made a clean machine.
- Installed SkipApp. Verified it worked
- Installed Steam, and installed the XBOX hid drivers
- Saw it stopped working.
- Removed the XBOX hid driver, still didn't work.

Then Misha went through the registry for every single instance of our VID/PID until he found the restricted interface property.

ProblematicRegEntry.gif

We can't figure out why the steam driver changes this value, and why removing it doesn't stop it. If you reset the boolean, unplugging the device and plugging it back in sets it back to restricted.

So the only resolution we found was to launch a service with escalated privileges to detect the property, ask the user for permission to get elevated accesses, and then change the booloan back every time we open the device.

Further, as Misha has shown in the GIF, you can not just open the registry and modify this field, you need a special tool:

"You have to run regedit as the “System” user via PsTools:
- Download https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/pstools
- Open cmd/PS as admin, cd to that extracted folder, then run .\psexec -s -i regedit
- Ah and yeah that’s an opaque interface path apparently, can be random for each machine: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsdesktop/en-US/d68ab1dc-2615-4ae6-b3e2-b8811d0364f9/composition-of-a-device-instance-id?forum=wdk

Would have to fetch it via some API using device VID/PID." - Misha

You can try the steps above to force the permissions.

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

Ok. The console window didn't say much, it's just complaining about a non existing directory (I don't know if the problem is that the folder is in reality named SkipApp_sddpyax1dmvqm, not SkipApp_vg5akken3mtem?). Pasting the output below and attaching logfile!

flirc20230628.log 18.3 kB · 0 downloads

Thank you, let me try another build.

35 minutes ago, jason said:

All over the internet are complaints that steam does this.  

... Bunch of windows bullshit ...

You can try the steps above to force the permissions.

Sigh, makes me appreciate that the bulk of my software development has been on Linux platforms the last few years.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, StephenM64 said:

Sigh, makes me appreciate that the bulk of my software development has been on Linux platforms the last few years.

Oh it's awful. I hate working with windows. And then they said the method in which we use to circumvent an issue another app created would violate the terms that would allow us to be in the windows app store.  Don't even get me started on signing the fucking app. That was a nightmare that was nearly impossible to automate in our CI environment.

Anyways, here is the updated version: https://update.flirc.tv/skipapp/pr/998/SkipApp-0.9.80.6182-mg-hid-broker-test-build-x64.msix?token=skipAppUpdate

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, jason said:

Oh it's awful. I hate working with windows. And then they said the method in which we use to circumvent an issue another app created would violate the terms that would allow us to be in the windows app store.  Don't even get me started on signing the fucking app. That was a nightmare that was nearly impossible to automate in our CI environment.

Anyways, here is the updated version: https://update.flirc.tv/skipapp/pr/998/SkipApp-0.9.80.6182-mg-hid-broker-test-build-x64.msix?token=skipAppUpdate

Yep. I'm glad I mostly live in Linux land, that really seems like a nightmare :-D

With this version I got two log files and no errors in the console. Attaching the files and pasting console output below:

flirc20230628.log flirc_devicebroker-6_28_2023.log

5 hours ago, Daniel said:

Yep. I'm glad I mostly live in Linux land, that really seems like a nightmare :-D

With this version I got two log files and no errors in the console. Attaching the files and pasting console output below:

flirc20230628.log 35.15 kB · 1 download flirc_devicebroker-6_28_2023.log 2.61 kB · 4 downloads

Any chance you have a virus app running? Misha found this: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/70797625/processstartinfo-hangs-when-useshellexecute-true

Looks like it may prevent our broker from running...

4 hours ago, jason said:

Any chance you have a virus app running?

Yep, the computer is running FortiClient antivirus. Unfortunately it's an enterprise solution that I have no control over so I can't try without it. I might be able to get a specific exe file whitelisted if that might help?

23 minutes ago, jason said:

Yep, new logfiles attached.

(just a parenthesis: The forum software doesn't seem to like links with URL parameters in them, only the part up to the question mark is clickable. Works fine when copying and pasting the url though.)

flirc20230629.log flirc_devicebroker-6_29_2023.log

15 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Yep, new logfiles attached.

(just a parenthesis: The forum software doesn't seem to like links with URL parameters in them, only the part up to the question mark is clickable. Works fine when copying and pasting the url though.)

flirc20230629.log 16.87 kB · 1 download flirc_devicebroker-6_29_2023.log 4.45 kB · 0 downloads

How about this one 

https://update.flirc.tv/skipapp/beta/0.9.71/SkipApp-0.9.71-Beta-x64.msix?token=skipAppUpdate

3 hours ago, jason said:

Thank you, one more to try
Download Link

@Kurojin_Karu @snds @StephenM64 @Daniel Let us know if that last link works. We're all on edge.

@StephenM64 Try this: New Linux Version

Create a file: /etc/udev/rules.d/99-flirc.rules

# Flirc Devices

# Bootloader
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device", ATTR{idVendor}=="20a0", ATTR{idProduct}=="0000", MODE="0666"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device", ATTR{idVendor}=="20a0", ATTR{idProduct}=="0002", MODE="0666"
SUBSYSTEM=="hidraw", ATTRS{idVendor}=="20a0", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0005", MODE="0666"

# Flirc Application
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device", ATTR{idVendor}=="20a0", ATTR{idProduct}=="0001", MODE="0666"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device", ATTR{idVendor}=="20a0", ATTR{idProduct}=="0004", MODE="0666"
SUBSYSTEM=="hidraw", ATTRS{idVendor}=="20a0", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0006", MODE="0666"

# Skip 1s Bootloader
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device", ATTR{idVendor}=="20a0", ATTR{idProduct}=="0007", MODE="0666"
SUBSYSTEM=="hidraw", ATTRS{idVendor}=="20a0", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0005", MODE="0666"

# Flirc Application
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device", ATTR{idVendor}=="20a0", ATTR{idProduct}=="0008", MODE="0666"
SUBSYSTEM=="hidraw", ATTRS{idVendor}=="20a0", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0006", MODE="0666"

Linux version has a lot of bugs. It's completely alpha, but I can connect and sync.

On 6/28/2023 at 5:14 AM, jason said:

We are creating another version with more console logging. Yes, it seems so, but we are going to add some helpful info. 

We have no choice, UWP is a requirement for react native desktop, which is all owned and being done by microsoft. Unfortunately it's needed because we are planning tablet/phone apps.

Jason, I do understand your choice, but you also could compile a "normal" windows app for who want, like me, simple use your remote without go crazy; I am months that have your remote and I am not able to use it .....

27 minutes ago, microfast said:

Jason, I do understand your choice, but you also could compile a "normal" windows app for who want, like me, simple use your remote without go crazy; I am months that have your remote and I am not able to use it .....

This is a normal app, it took 2 years. I can’t write one “another” overnight. Did you try the last version? http://update.flirc.tv/skipapp/pr/998/SkipApp-0.9.80.6209-mg-hid-broker-test-build-x64.msix?token=skipAppUpdate

3 hours ago, jason said:

This is a normal app, it took 2 years. I can’t write one “another” overnight. Did you try the last version? http://update.flirc.tv/skipapp/pr/998/SkipApp-0.9.80.6209-mg-hid-broker-test-build-x64.msix?token=skipAppUpdate

Yes, I have always the same error like with the previous one, I have opened a specific thread for to be helped; I don't know because I have this issue with all my Pc, if you want you can do a remote on my pc and try to fix this directly.