Flirc Forums

Toshiba CT-90326 Remote

Adding that file, I see that the entry changes in the Brands list (and if deleted the old audio one returns). 

Clearing & creating the activity (as before), I now see that under TV (as per the file) there are two entries, under TV.  Applied this the second one (see below for).  Checked in FLIRC app, and it now sends out an IR code.  Then checked it with the TV and that works.  So excellent news that file is working fine.

So I double checked the process as I saw that oddity and wanted to reproduce it.  So I removed the file, restart the app, the old audio device re-appears in the brands list, but interestingly now I tried to add it again it did not want to import the file initially, tried this a couple of times (restarting the app etc) and finally it imported again and when I look at the model list, I have two entries under tv for the remote.   One listed as "Audio, TV, Misc" and the second one just as "TV, Misc".

I assigned each to a different activity, the one listed as Audio, TV, Misc the Enter key failed.  But the one listed TV, Misc, worked as ok (which I think is the one from the file, and guessing the app is getting confused with the original Audio device and some how adding/combining the remotes?)

So from the point of view of having a working set of codes the download in your last post - works - many thanks we got there.   The process to get it in, and the oddities that appear after is strange.  Happy to do any further testing if you want a scripted set of tests done. to reproduce this oddity.

Edited by Jilas671

5 hours ago, Jilas671 said:

Adding that file, I see that the entry changes in the Brands list (and if deleted the old audio one returns). 

Clearing & creating the activity (as before), I now see that under TV (as per the file) there are two entries, under TV.  Applied this the second one (see below for).  Checked in FLIRC app, and it now sends out an IR code.  Then checked it with the TV and that works.  So excellent news that file is working fine.

So I double checked the process as I saw that oddity and wanted to reproduce it.  So I removed the file, restart the app, the old audio device re-appears in the brands list, but interestingly now I tried to add it again it did not want to import the file initially, tried this a couple of times (restarting the app etc) and finally it imported again and when I look at the model list, I have two entries under tv for the remote.   One listed as "Audio, TV, Misc" and the second one just as "TV, Misc".

I assigned each to a different activity, the one listed as Audio, TV, Misc the Enter key failed.  But the one listed TV, Misc, worked as ok (which I think is the one from the file, and guessing the app is getting confused with the original Audio device and some how adding/combining the remotes?)

So from the point of view of having a working set of codes the download in your last post - works - many thanks we got there.   The process to get it in, and the oddities that appear after is strange.  Happy to do any further testing if you want a scripted set of tests done. to reproduce this oddity.

You can not remove the entries that are added by Flirc. If you do, it's just for the session. 

Thanks for confirming that.

I will say it's confusing.  Opens up all the questions about version control, which is used and appears in the system, as in this case I got two, one that seem to combine the class and was not working, and the one I wanted to use.

Maybe if you can't delete them, the option should be to 'disable', with a different icon, and ideally sticks between sessions.  

At least then there is a clear indication which are user created Vs ones that are supplied.

I know this is in the debug side of things, but it's a ultra useful feature that with learning coming at some point, which I'd assume and hope saves to these separate files (to aid removal of it doesn't work and sharing with the community when it works).

Anyways thanks for clarifying.

1 hour ago, Jilas671 said:

Thanks for confirming that.

I will say it's confusing.  Opens up all the questions about version control, which is used and appears in the system, as in this case I got two, one that seem to combine the class and was not working, and the one I wanted to use.

Maybe if you can't delete them, the option should be to 'disable', with a different icon, and ideally sticks between sessions.  

At least then there is a clear indication which are user created Vs ones that are supplied.

I know this is in the debug side of things, but it's a ultra useful feature that with learning coming at some point, which I'd assume and hope saves to these separate files (to aid removal of it doesn't work and sharing with the community when it works).

Anyways thanks for clarifying.

Yeah, I understand, it's completely non intuitive. As you brought it up, it's making me scratch my head how to handle it. There is a lot going on behind the scenes, it's not simple as we are dealing with multiple databases, entries, additions, etc. This part of the GUI was never meant to be customer facing, so I didn't put a lot of love into ease of use. I'll improve on it. It shouldn't offer a deletion if you can't delete it and user imported codes should definitely be separate.

Ok I'm glad it wasn't me, and sorry to cause some head scratching.

I hope this style of feedback is useful.  I am sure it might appear frustrated at times, ultimately it's an attempt to help, and hopefully offering different "1 mile high" view of things.  It's certainly shared with the goal to help and improve things.

For sure this is a complex beastie to create, an all singing and dancing remote, with a UI to match (and you have set the bar high due to the quality of the physical product).   This then all then needs to work for everyone, no matter previous experience.

I know UI design is hard, as we see with the first gen of Harmony's (which I used).  That UI was horrible, and had weird places to make changes, and if you don't use it for a while you spend ages trying to remember where a tweak was, but they had some good ideas in there.  Their activities system was at the time, different to the rest, and for some of us it makes more sense separating the powering devices from switching between devices.

The management of the databases, flirc supplied files, and user files will come together I'm sure, certainly need to either work out some logic to state which files will override which - or maybe it's just easier to list them all, but have an indicator/icon next to the name when you are selecting a remote to show where its from (db, flirc, user).

Sorry to add another thing to the list and thanks for all you are trying to do.

Edited by Jilas671

11 hours ago, Jilas671 said:

Ok I'm glad it wasn't me, and sorry to cause some head scratching.

I hope this style of feedback is useful.  I am sure it might appear frustrated at times, ultimately it's an attempt to help, and hopefully offering different "1 mile high" view of things.  It's certainly shared with the goal to help and improve things.

For sure this is a complex beastie to create, an all singing and dancing remote, with a UI to match (and you have set the bar high due to the quality of the physical product).   This then all then needs to work for everyone, no matter previous experience.

I know UI design is hard, as we see with the first gen of Harmony's (which I used).  That UI was horrible, and had weird places to make changes, and if you don't use it for a while you spend ages trying to remember where a tweak was, but they had some good ideas in there.  Their activities system was at the time, different to the rest, and for some of us it makes more sense separating the powering devices from switching between devices.

The management of the databases, flirc supplied files, and user files will come together I'm sure, certainly need to either work out some logic to state which files will override which - or maybe it's just easier to list them all, but have an indicator/icon next to the name when you are selecting a remote to show where its from (db, flirc, user).

Sorry to add another thing to the list and thanks for all you are trying to do.

Invaluable feedback, thank you, I'm grateful