Flirc Forums

Apple TV 4K stopped powering on / off after tvOS 17?

pyrodex

I had my Flirc 1S working fine but noticed now my AppleTV doesn’t power on with the same setup after upgrading to tvOS 17.  Nothing changed and it worked fine prior to that but now the tv powers up like normal but not the AppleTV. If I hit the home button it wakes up but the Power On/Off IR commands don’t work anymore. I checked this morning and confirmed I’m on the latest everything for the remote. 

10 hours ago, pyrodex said:

That is the work around for powering on but what about powering off? These IR commands worked prior to tvOS 17 so is Flirc going to relearn them or just ignore it?

I hear you. I don't have time to check right now, but this is on my list. But just turn of the TV, appletv detects this via HDMI and turns itself off. If not, by default after a few minutes of inactivity it goes to sleep anyways.

I just realized there isn't an option to press and hold in a macro, so this won't work. I got it in my head that the "delay" option for buttons was "hold". My mistake. This should be an option for cases like this though :-).

That said, with tvOS 17.1, I am able to power off with the discrete code offered in the skip 1s Apple TV code set.

You can "force" a power off by creating a macro for the Apple TV that:

1. Press TV button for 2 seconds
  2. Wait a second to give it time to come up fully
  3. Press select (Power Off should be selected by default)

The basic idea is to open the Control Center on the Apple TV (image below) and select the power off tile.

Apple TV screen showing Control Center.

Edited by Benjamin Metzler