Flirc Forums

Can't program on Mac Mini or MacBook Pro with dongle

Park City Ken

On an iMac, where the FLIRC is plugged directly into a USB receptacle, I was able to program my FLIRC.   However, on a Mac Mini (also plugged directly into the computer) and on my Mac Book Pro, using a USB-C to USB-A dongle, the FLIRC does not learn.  I never get a "success" message.  I looked at IR debugging in the log, and no IR commands are received.  I'm trying to learn from a FireTV remote.

I have Gen 2 and the latest firmware and GUI.

Any ideas?

Screen Shot 2017-08-28 at 4.15.56 PM.png

Dang!  The home page says, "Use any remote on your FireTV".   Naturally, and stupidly, I thought I could/should use the FireTV remote itself to program the FLIRC.  Any IR remote is the truth.  Doh!   The cool thing is you've already got the profile that has the relevant IR codes inside the GUI.  So, this all works with ANY remote that puts out IR.

Just FYI, what I'm doing is integrating several devices (FireTV, HDMI switch, Apple TV, Roku) with a Crestron (I know, I know) remote.  It's very expensive but nice remote control (TSR-302).  It will send commands (wireless) to the Crestron "brain", which will output the IR commands.     I think this will all work, as the IR-controlled HDMI switch is already integrated, and all I need is to integrate the FireTV.  I do hope the "any remote that puts out IR" works with a Crestron box.  We shall see!

Thanks for your help!

Ken

P.S. New product idea for you ... have a way to invoke the microphone on certain remotes.  The  FireTV,  Apple TV (newest) and Roku (Ultra) all accept voice commands, but .  Then, I need to get the Crestron brain to relay the voice commands from the TSR-302 to the activated device.   Not sure that will ever happen!  ;-)   (The need to relay voice commands with an integrated remote will probably become more and more of an issue with remotes for multiple devices (like Comcast as well as others)  now taking voice commands).