Flirc Forums

Just got the Skip 1s, can’t use it.

GreyFoxRTX
Go to solution Solved by jason,

On 5/5/2024 at 10:01 AM, jason said:

Thanks to Wesley, I spent about 7 hours on his machine, and once again, it's Microsoft's fault.

Short answer

Windows Shipped Broken Software in their Last Update

Explanation

They now support something called dynamic lighting through human interface devices. Unfortunately, they auto load logitech software that runs when you plug in something that 'may' be in the same category. Logitech software runs and checks to see if it's their device. When they check, they open it, and they never fucking close it. So now no matter what I do, no matter what I try, I can not open my own device because of logitech.

Solution

Kill the processes

Step 1

hit Start and type Services and hit enter.
image.png

Step 2

Scroll down and find "logitech lamparray service" and double click it.

image.png

Step 3

Click Stop to stop the service

Change the Startup Type to: Disabled

image.png

Step 4

Unplug the remote and Plug it back in.

---

I understand your frustration. But believe me, as someone who has spent 4 years on this product only to keep getting fucked by windows, I assure you, I'm more frustrated. I constantly hault sales because of their bullshit. They force me into a sandboxed envirornment and keep doing stuff like this. I spent almost all night trying to come up with a work around. There is none. I don't have permissions to kill the service within the app. I don't have permission to open the device in shared mode. I tried running an outside program that talks to the USB device but creates a sock connection between the app and the external app but I don't have permission. I'm so fucking angry with them I can't put into words how much of a waist of time this has been. I'm on week 3 of windows only debugging. 

The only thing I can do now is detect the issue ,and bring up a page to the user and walk them through these instructions.

Been in the middle of a move so everything's been boxed up. I was able to test this morning and so far working after following these steps. Will continue to test later on this weekend.
Thanks!

On 5/5/2024 at 9:50 AM, Jilas671 said:

@jason Thanks for looking at this, and thanks to @Wesley for providing the platform to get to this stage.

Can confirm the craziness I had all fixed by stopping the service.  No pop up asking for permissions each time which I guess is the big red flag for the future if people have problems.  Why these remotes are being picked up as a possible logitech device is strange for sure, 

I just hope this confirmation and thanks, helps in some small degree.  And I do hope you can take a moment to relax and know people are thankful for your support.

We released an update that will try and detect this and if so, send you to a link to download a utility to try and turn this off, hotplug the device, as well as remove the restricted interface and filter driver that steam installed. 

This was a horrible amount of fucking work and is the best we can do for now. We will try and work on the alternative USB method, but honestly, I really don't want to. I would say that we spent the last 2 months working on windows issues and failed to progress towards any of our goals. All sales were halted again, no one is going to give a shit if steam or logitech caused the problem, they say it's our fault and return the remote.

The amount of development I've done in the past two weeks was a marathon. I've stayed up until 1:30 in the morning every night working on this 7 fucking days a week.

Windows is absolutely the worst fucking platform. Everything is an afterthought, there are a million different languages, C#, C# dot net, dot net desktop, dot net web, WPF, react, UWP, FUCK! And all language have different versions, different laws and rules. What the fuck is even the registry. Dumb fucking idiots at that company. I hate them. I fucking hate them.

7 hours ago, jason said:

We released an update that will try and detect this and if so, send you to a link to download a utility to try and turn this off, hotplug the device, as well as remove the restricted interface and filter driver that steam installed. 

I note the test version we had lost the update channel, so had to go back to a earlier release and update and have 0.9.966 beta now installed.

With the service re-enabled.

Fire it up first time, it didn't work was a bit odd (may have been me).  Did create the remote, skipped passed the add device stuff so I could just do a restore (an option for this at the start might be good, especially as it seems you can detect if the remote is new or has been updated).

So tried a second time, this time it did bring up the pop up after the remote was detected and sync was tried.  Get the previous windows permissions error then your new pop up with the download link, used that installed the "fix".

Checked the services it does disable it correctly - some of the messages are kinda worrying, (I think deleting usb devices .. was a fun one to see).  When complete return to the app.  Remote is picked up, and could sync.

Swapped remotes, picked up the second one ok, (as a fresh install) tried to skip past the setup which locked the app up, needed a restart to clear that. Came back to the blank second remote, imported the config ok.  Remote connects (doesn't offer a sync this time).  Swap them over again the app swaps to the other remote correctly.

So looks like this is all working to fix the usb/logitech/steam issue.    Thanks for getting it included and working.

Can I dare ask if there will be an update or a roadmap for the remote and things we can expect (no dates, or order) just so we can see what's hopefully coming at some point.  Just my remotes are still in their boxes waiting for some key changes and would be at least nice to know these are still planned and will appear at some point (time etc permitting).

Happy to post or message you a list of what I'm hoping for and you can confirm yes/maybe/no if easier.

Edited by Jilas671

On 5/11/2024 at 3:10 AM, Jilas671 said:

I note the test version we had lost the update channel, so had to go back to a earlier release and update and have 0.9.966 beta now installed.

With the service re-enabled.

Fire it up first time, it didn't work was a bit odd (may have been me).  Did create the remote, skipped passed the add device stuff so I could just do a restore (an option for this at the start might be good, especially as it seems you can detect if the remote is new or has been updated).

So tried a second time, this time it did bring up the pop up after the remote was detected and sync was tried.  Get the previous windows permissions error then your new pop up with the download link, used that installed the "fix".

Checked the services it does disable it correctly - some of the messages are kinda worrying, (I think deleting usb devices .. was a fun one to see).  When complete return to the app.  Remote is picked up, and could sync.

Swapped remotes, picked up the second one ok, (as a fresh install) tried to skip past the setup which locked the app up, needed a restart to clear that. Came back to the blank second remote, imported the config ok.  Remote connects (doesn't offer a sync this time).  Swap them over again the app swaps to the other remote correctly.

So looks like this is all working to fix the usb/logitech/steam issue.    Thanks for getting it included and working.

Can I dare ask if there will be an update or a roadmap for the remote and things we can expect (no dates, or order) just so we can see what's hopefully coming at some point.  Just my remotes are still in their boxes waiting for some key changes and would be at least nice to know these are still planned and will appear at some point (time etc permitting).

Happy to post or message you a list of what I'm hoping for and you can confirm yes/maybe/no if easier.

I need to find a good self hosted app to share progress and road map. Internally we use Jira and Github (not for bugs), and there are too many confidential tasks to make everything public. I'm looking, if you have recommendations, I'll take a look.

Once we finished learning, we had a few different tasks:
- Rebase react native desktop to latest
- Figma Integration investigation
- Sentry Investigation
- Work on smarter activity switching
- GUI related updates
  - Update Wizard
  - Allow easier testing of different protocols
  - Easier management of creating custom remotes

Rebasing react native was an absolute failure. Everything broke, especially on windows. In the end, we got everything working. However, when it was all said and done, react native SVG was broken and we couldn't figure out why. Of course, only on windows. The performance was unacceptable. It was a complete step back and we found no other improvements after all that work. So we left it in another branch and gave up.

Figma integration was shit. We have a lot of problems with the current UX, it doesn't match figma. It would have been amazing to be able to export different aspects of the design for direct use. It would save us so much time from having to pixel push. But it didn't work.

Sentry, which we use for investigating crashes announced two new features, real time playback of crashes and a way to measure performance to see how and what we can improve. Both didn't work.

So then we were planning to quickly move on and improve our build and release tools, because it's always a mess and needed to be done. But then got interrupted with Windows bullish, that was about 2-3 weeks. 

We are just about done with the build and release tools. What's on the short list right now:

- Fix Play/Pause button so we can toggle between distinct play and pause 
- Fix Mute button so we can toggle between distinct mute on and mute off
- Implement smart activity switching. 
- Finish qualification of learning firmware so we can release it
- Fix Wizard and Test modes

We have a lot on the long list as well as the products that we are working on in development. Feel free to pm me with suggestions.

• Thanks 1

@jason thanks for coming back with a response on this and sharing a detailed response it's much appreciated.  I'll drop a Pm over in a bit on just some thoughts in case they help.

Again thanks for everything you and the team are doing, it's not easy when there are so many moving parts.

Edited by Jilas671