Flirc Forums

Some odd issues after a reinstall of the app

Jilas671

So I updated to the current beta on my Windows 11 pro machine, and tried to connect a remote, and just never connected.  Long story short, looks like I have hit the same bug with SkipDeviceRestrictionBroker.exe and steam reported elsewhere.  Which is odd as steam has always been around, and was fine the last time programmed them, so confused.

I always tried to backup the remotes, so it was the 0.9.954 versions as that was the first time the livedrive issue was resolved (and it sill fixed).

So I will look over the not detected post, and see if any of that helps me or I can add any additional info.

Now having done some re-installs on Windows 11 to get to this point, a couple of minor observations.

Firstly it would be useful if on initial setup, the app, could check if the remote is blank or has a config (or just asks). So you get a choice if you want to import an exported config or to start a fresh.

Also when you import remote settings.   Two oddities here.
1) on a fresh install, it defaults to pictures not documents.
2) when you import a remote, all good it appears, but if you have multiple remotes, you cannot import the second one, without connecting it to the pc.  Would be good if when you import a configuration that it asks if you want to add it to this remote, or create a new remote.

These remotes only come out for testing updates (as still not family friendly for me), on the off chance some of the features in the pending list have been applied, like how activity switching is done, and additional code space in the colour/dial menu and the most important now is the play/pause where its a different key with some devices.

Edited by Jilas671

54 minutes ago, Jilas671 said:

Firstly it would be useful if on initial setup, the app, could check if the remote is blank or has a config (or just asks). So you get a choice if you want to import an exported config or to start a fresh.

Isn't it even possible to import a config directly from the remote on a fresh app install?

10 minutes ago, Oliver Kötter said:

Isn't it even possible to import a config directly from the remote on a fresh app install?

Currently, you have to name the remote, then if you skip the add activity then you should be able to import.  It worked to the point of having the activities all present... just with the device not connecting I can't confirm if it would push to the remote, but everything looks and suggests it should.

But I guess that's my point, it would be nice to be able to plug in a remote, and the app, checks if its factory fresh or has been used.  If used then offers and extra options for a fresh install or import a configuration file (it would be amazingly useful if it could download from the remote the config as well, but experience with esp's would suggest that could be much harder that it sounds).