Flirc Forums

Remote suddenly not working anymore

Nicolas M.

Hello,

I don't understand why but yesterday i was unable to shut down my TV.

I have changed batteries, still not working

When I'm plugging my remote in USB on my mac with the app I can do everything with "test actions" menu, but when i remove the usb cable the remote is not working. Nothing happens when I tap a button (no light, nothing)

I've tried to restore default configuration within the app and restore my configuration, still the same.

I've done nothing on my remote since several weeks, i don't understand why it's completely blocked right now.

What do you suggest ?

Please help. I'm now completely addicted to this remote :(

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/2/2023 at 12:41 PM, Bryce Leo said:

I ran into the same issue. The springs that connect to the negative terminal on the battery weren't making great contact and i had to fiddle with getting the spring to sit squarely on the bottom of the battery. After I did that everything came to life.

Thanks for pointing that out, seems like it could have been an assembly issue with the spring. So sorry about that.

Lot of crashes fixed in the latest release: 

I'm going to make a beta reales sticky to the top very shortly. I want to confirm we got the delays fixed (which look to be the fault of the GUI).

I have the exact same issue.  Changed the batteries multiple times, tried manually moving the spring right underneath the negative terminal of the battery and nothing.  USB-C connection recognizes the device on my computer so I know it can still work.  

Pretty frustrating.  I love this freakin remote.

4 minutes ago, Chris N said:

I have the exact same issue.  Changed the batteries multiple times, tried manually moving the spring right underneath the negative terminal of the battery and nothing.  USB-C connection recognizes the device on my computer so I know it can still work.  

Pretty frustrating.  I love this freakin remote.

Shortly after posting this I fixed the issue.  I added a piece of aluminum underneath the negative connection of the batteries so it could have a greater range of contact and it seems to have worked.

2 minutes ago, Chris N said:

Shortly after posting this I fixed the issue.  I added a piece of aluminum underneath the negative connection of the batteries so it could have a greater range of contact and it seems to have worked.

wow, interesting, maybe the spring was stuck. Can you shoot us a picture?

I had a similar problem last night. I thought it was the "batteries lasting a day" problem, but fresh batteries didn't get the remote working.

Found this thread but clearly, the negative contacts were touching the batteries correctly.

I dug around and think I found the problem. The + terminal in the remote's battery slot is recessed. If the + button on the battery itself isn't long/deep enough, it won't make contact. I put some balled up aluminum foil in there to make the recess "less deep". Seems to have worked. There is a "spring" in the recess that may be able to be pulled out a little, but I didn't want to leave the couch to get any tools from the garage.... perhaps today! :-) Give it a shot!

Edited by english

5 minutes ago, english said:

I had a similar problem last night. I thought it was the "batteries lasting a day" problem, but fresh batteries didn't get the remote working. I dug around and think I found the problem. The + terminal in the remote's battery slot is recessed. If the + button on the battery itself isn't long enough, it won't make contact. I put some balled up aluminum foil in there to make the recess "less deep". Seems to have worked. There is a "spring" in the recess that may be able to be pulled out a little, but I didn't want to leave the couch to get any tools from the garage.... perhaps today! :-) Give it a shot!

Thank you send a pic of this? I really appreciate the problem solving. Would love to see the problem and solution so I can address this with the factory. 

1 minute ago, english said:

@jason And, BTW, it's great to actually work with folk who are close to the product/software development. Had a similar experience with an OPPO DVD player back in the day. Ended up talking with a guy who was actually writing the firmware... nothing like talking directly to the source (code) :-)

Did the firmware, did the hardware, do the shipping, support, debugging, manufacturing software… I’m the guy. I have a tiny team that helps with the rest.  I love the product, I love if people are happy with it, and work really hard to do so.

Thanks so much for following up.

Can you take the batteries out and show the other side of the terminals?.I think your spring is stuck in the case preventing the battery from being pushed up. 

I was going to try pulling the center out a little, but needed needle-nose to do it.... and I was watching a movie, so aluminum foil it was! Just got the remote a couple of days ago, super promising! My Harmony still works, but wanted to get off it ASAP. Tried the Sofabaton (U1) but it barely has the juice to reach my TV. Didn't fancy throwing another $50 at something (U2) that didn't really work like I wanted anyway. Nearly $200 for the X1 was a bit of a gamble, but came across the S1 in another forum. Glad I did! Now, if you can make a long press on the power button the "power off" and a short one "power on", I'll be REALLY happy :-)

Just now, english said:

I was going to try pulling the center out a little, but needed needle-nose to do it.... and I was watching a movie, so aluminum foil it was! Just got the remote a couple of days ago, super promising! My Harmony still works, but wanted to get off it ASAP. Tried the Sofabaton (U1) but it barely has the juice to reach my TV. Didn't fancy throwing another $50 at something (U2) that didn't really work like I wanted anyway. Nearly $200 for the X1 was a bit of a gamble, but came across the S1 in another forum. Glad I did! Now, if you can make a long press on the power button the "power off" and a short one "power on", I'll be REALLY happy :-)

Long press, smarter activity switching, and learning is coming. 

• Like 1