Flirc Forums

PS4

reposter432

I'm wondering if there is a suggested key mapping for the Playstation 4?  I know it's a bit early.  

Sony stupidly won't let us use the PS3 BD Remote on the PS4.  I use my Flirc primarily on my Ouya with my Onkyo remote.  On the off chance, I plugged it into the PS4 and it recognized it as a keyboard - it is still programmed in keyboard layout for XBMC on the Ouya.  The most I could do is Play/Pause with the enter button and FF/Rewind with the d-pad on the Onkyo remote.  Any suggestions?  

BTW, the Flirc does not fit between the slots to plug into the PS4's USB ports.  You have to use a hub.

I would plug in a normal keyboard, find out what the shortcuts are to control what you want, and then pair those with the GUI. A bit of reverse engineering.

Report back your findings, plus what the keymap is (a on keyboard maps to back, etc), I'll send a free to you as my way of thanking you for helping the community with an important find an your trouble.

Wow, that's really nice of you.  Here's what a found.  I plugged my Adesso keyboard and played around with it.  It has a built-in touchpad and the PS4 recognized it as a mouse, but it did not function - maybe just a problem keyboard, it's pretty old. 

I'll try mapping them to the Flirc later on today.

PS4 interface:

Esc - back

F3 - Dual Shock 4 Options button

Prt Sc/SysRq - DS4 Share button

Pause/Break - moves you back to inserted disc in the main menu

Backspace - back

Enter- enter

Arrow keys - moving in menus

Matrix Blu-ray disc:

In-movie controls:

Esc - Pause/On-screen display

F1 - on-screen display (shows movie progress, type of audio track, etc)

F2 - BD pop-up menu

F3 - PS4 disc options (pop-up menu, subtitles, audio, etc)

Backspace - Pause/On-screen display

Up arrow - bring up BD pop-up menu

Down arrow - close BD pop-up menu

Right/left arrow - moving in menus

Enter - enter

Wow, that's really nice of you.  Here's what a found.  I plugged my Adesso keyboard and played around with it.  It has a built-in touchpad and the PS4 recognized it as a mouse, but it did not function - maybe just a problem keyboard, it's pretty old. 

I'll try mapping them to the Flirc later on today.

PS4 interface:

Esc - back

F3 - Dual Shock 4 Options button

Prt Sc/SysRq - DS4 Share button

Pause/Break - moves you back to inserted disc in the main menu

Backspace - back

Enter- enter

Arrow keys - moving in menus

Matrix Blu-ray disc:

In-movie controls:

Esc - Pause/On-screen display

F1 - on-screen display (shows movie progress, type of audio track, etc)

F2 - BD pop-up menu

F3 - PS4 disc options (pop-up menu, subtitles, audio, etc)

Backspace - Pause/On-screen display

Up arrow - bring up BD pop-up menu

Down arrow - close BD pop-up menu

Right/left arrow - moving in menus

Enter - enter

Thanks so much for doing this, it's great, and I'll try and add something in the GUI for PS4, shortcut keys so people don't have to do this.

Follow up with me via email so I can get your info to send you a unit. Thank you again.

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I'm so excited reading this!

Has anyone confirmed that the above keyboard layout works for Netflix on the PS4?

I can't wait to use this with my Logitech Harmony Remote!!!!

Anyone else using this with the Logitech Harmony remote that can give some feedback?

Thanks!!!

Edited by hieyemtim

I found this thread on reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/271maj/usbbluetooth_keyboards_can_control_netflix_app/

But I don't have a PS4, can anyone test this for me?

I'll issue a reward to someone that spends the time putting together USB keyboard shortcuts and PS4. I will use this to extend my graphical user interface for PS4.

I've just bought a FLIRC today and am in the process of trying to set up with PS4.

Using the Flirc iR-USB Harmony Profile it appears no commands are loaded (as in, when I try assign a button on my remote to my FLIRC, there are no keys/commands available), so I think I will have to "teach" the Harmony for every key I want to use? Whereas the XBMC profile already has all the commands mapped it appears.

Once I get that done I'm happy to spend the time doing whatever is required.

Edited by dwnz

I've just bought a FLIRC today and am in the process of trying to set up with PS4.

Using the Flirc iR-USB Harmony Profile it appears no commands are loaded (as in, when I try assign a button on my remote to my FLIRC, there are no keys/commands available), so I think I will have to "teach" the Harmony for every key I want to use? Whereas the XBMC profile already has all the commands mapped it appears.

Once I get that done I'm happy to spend the time doing whatever is required.

I don't have a PS4 profile in my GUI or in the harmony. But you could help me. If you hook up a USB keyboard to your PS4, and try and figure out what keyboard keys do what functions on the playstation and put them in an excel spreadsheet, I'll get you a refund. I would need shortcuts for applications like Plex and Netflix, and Hulu, etc. They are probably all the same across applications.

For the time being, add any remote (panasonic or samsung profile) and then randomly assign keys to your remote buttons of choice. Map these in your flirc to keyboard key shortcuts you find above.

Ok thanks I have that part sorted.

When I run flirc_util to record the pause key action I'm getting:

Warning: Cannot open USB Device

I am running cmd prompt as Administrator, Windows 8.1 Professional. Anything I am missing? Configuration within the GUI is fine, tried with GUI application both running and not running if that makes any difference.

I was running the command flirc_util record pause

And I'm assuming it should prompt for a keypress input after that?

I have also seen mention of the command record_api (with suitable parameters), but the support section just mentions using 'record pause'.

Edited by dwnz

Tried rebooting PC, unplugging/plugging module back in, GUI not running. Same message. I can open the GUI and it connects straight away.

Netflix controls are limited but adequate, have worked through application on USB Keyboard and recorded information. Will take a look at Hulu and Plex tomorrow. Sadly it looks like the application must be written to allow keyboard commands, as the NBA GameTime App doesn't accept any input from USB Keyboard.

Maybe then we can wake up the PS4 with Flirc? 

It could be possible. As Jason said, we'd be super thrilled if you could give it a go.

Is plex not a free install on PS4?

You may need to assign a wake key (try not doing it first), here's a guide:

https://flirc.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/200904676--Out-of-date-Getting-flirc-to-wake-up-your-computer

(I think you can ignore the firmware stuff, just make sure you're at least on the latest stable firmware - 3.5)

I just purchased the Flirc for my PS4.  I plugged it into my laptop and installed the software under Win 7.  I was able to run the GUI to program it, but from the command line I get no response when trying to run "flirc_util record pause". It just returns immediately to command prompt.  I tried reboot as well as unplugging dongle and plugging it back in.

Any help?

Unfortunately Plex PS4 app currently requires a PlexPass subscription.

When the PS4 is in rest mode it does not respond to any key presses, despite the USB keyboard receiving power via the option to leave USB ports active.

The only way I can see getting the PS4 to power on is via HDMI-CEC, however I'm not sure if this is possible, and not just the other way around? (where the PS4 powers on the TV).