Jump to content
Flirc Forums

Using Flirc with Amazon fireTV


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

**** EDIT **** Hey guys, Jason here. Be sure to check out the bottom of this post for additional information that I made   ***************   **** DOUBLE EDIT **** Official Amazon firetv support

Amazon disabled the "F12" keyboard key for Home in the Fire TV 5.2.1.0 update. The Home key is now the 3 button combination "Left Windows Logo + Left ALT + ENTER". Everyone, please contact Amazon Fi

Perfect, thanks for letting me know.

Posted Images

On 11/12/2019 at 11:03 AM, jason said:

Yes, you need a USB on the go adapter. However, I have an new product with one built in. Any chance you’d want one for free in exchange for some helpful feedback?

I was able to use a USB 90 degree adapter.   https://www.amazon.com/USB-Male-Female-Extension-Adapter/dp/B07QYS3FD8/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3TAGL45G1HQ0D&keywords=90+degree+usb+adapter&qid=1573676430&sprefix=90+degree+usb+adapter%2Caps%2C221&sr=8-3

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

I have a 1st gen Flirc that I'd like to use with Kodi 18.5 on the Fire TV 4k stick.  I've updated the Flirc's firmware, programmed a few keyboard commands, verified that they are working by using Notepad, but when I connect the Flirc to the OTG adapter nothing happens.  If I plug a Logitech wireless keyboard into the OTG , the keys work just fine, so it doesn't seem to be the OTG nor a setting in Kodi nor the Flirc itself.  Anyone got any other suggestions?  Thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/8/2019 at 8:18 PM, wayneg said:

I have a 1st gen Flirc that I'd like to use with Kodi 18.5 on the Fire TV 4k stick.  I've updated the Flirc's firmware, programmed a few keyboard commands, verified that they are working by using Notepad, but when I connect the Flirc to the OTG adapter nothing happens.  If I plug a Logitech wireless keyboard into the OTG , the keys work just fine, so it doesn't seem to be the OTG nor a setting in Kodi nor the Flirc itself.  Anyone got any other suggestions?  Thanks.

I'm not going to troubleshoot the gen1 device. Send me a PM, I'll send you a new unit.

** EDIT ** to clarify, I'll get you a new deivce.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/17/2019 at 11:06 AM, jason said:

To those who sent me a private message. Hang in there. I need to do a couple more firmware features and tests before sending. I should send them in the next couple days.

I'll try to send them out tomorrow. I ran into a couple issues that's eating my time. They are on my desk and I got to finish off a bit of code. Almost there. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Jason:  I got my new Flirc, thank you very much, I spent less than five minutes upgrading firmware and programming the buttons/keys and it works like a charm.  Great product, you're a class act and I will continue to sing the praises of Flirc!  Well, not that I ever stopped, but you know what I mean ;-)

 

Edited by wayneg
Clarity
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, wayneg said:

Hello Jason:  I got my new Flirc, thank you very much, I spent less than five minutes upgrading firmware and programming the buttons/keys and it works like a charm.  Great product, you're a class act and I will continue to sing the praises of Flirc!  Well, not that I ever stopped, but you know what I mean ;-)

 

Perfect, thanks for letting me know.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, mkaye said:

how do i learn the long presses? i.e. FF speeds

i am using a Crestron learner to send the IR commands

 mark

So once you have the button working. Take the remote, open my app. Go to file->advanced and change the recording mode to long press. Then record the button again with the second function. Short pressing the button will do the first action, the second action will be sent out if you hold on to it longer than 1.5 seconds.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just received my FLIRC.  I have a FireTV about 2 years old I think, not the cube, not the stick.

I also have a harmony 665. I programmed it for 
FLIRC
FireTV.

Everything looks fine.

Synced the remote and then plugged in the FLIRC into the available USB port on the back of the FireTV.  I turned the FireTV around so I had full direct line of sight and I get no response for any buttons, even directly in front of the dongle and lining it up.  Am I missing a step?

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, jason said:

So once you have the button working. Take the remote, open my app. Go to file->advanced and change the recording mode to long press. Then record the button again with the second function. Short pressing the button will do the first action, the second action will be sent out if you hold on to it longer than 1.5 seconds.

not sure what i am recording on the 2nd press as i have no idea what the FireTV sends for the long press?

am i just recording my FF button again?

Link to post
Share on other sites

There appears to be a few bugs in the FLIRC software.

  • Not correctly registered in Windows 10 version 1909 build 18363.535.
    • THe fcfg file type isn't recognized and Save Configuration doesn't work until this is solved.
      • look for File type .fcfg and FLIRC is listed, but not active
      • open the File type and save it
      • File type is now registered.
  • FLIRC will not save the Configuration from a Type 1 FLIRC device.
    • I have an OLD Type 1 FLIRC attached to an Amazon FireTV Box. The controller is a Bang&Olfusen Avant 55 Television with internal IR ports and configuration files (PUCs). This has worked for several years.I wanted to finally swap to the Type 2 device that has been laying around since DEC 2016. In the past the Save and restore didn't function, so I threw the FLIRC type 2 in a drawer for the last 3 years. New configuration software, new luck. Unfortunately no change.
    •  
    • If saved the Typ1 Configuration and restored it on a Type 2 Device nothing works as previously defined. There was no reaction at all from the B&O Controller. Swapped the Type 1 back to the Amazon Fire TV and all worked as previously set-up and defined.

Can anyone provide assistance to Save and restore that works. The documentation is not up to date and I'm lost, but hoping the Configuration can be moved from one device type to the other.

 

After activating the FLIRC Software in Windows 10 the Saved Configuration File was finally saved and appeared in the windows UI. Previously the UI showed all saved, but nothing was found. The file was invisible on my desktop, Download directory or Temp directory. Since there is no way of seeing key definitions, I'll pass the saved file on. Can anyone explain what isn't working and provide a solution?

my_flirc_configV1.fcfg my_flirc_configV2_loaded_fromV1.fcfg

Edited by Ingoping
Link to post
Share on other sites

New user here and apologies if this has already been asked. My situation is that I actually DON'T have a Flirc USB dongle as I just discovered these existed yesterday. What I do have is a new FireTV cube, a gen 1 FireTV box, a Harmony 665 and a Harmony 650. Both of the FireTV's currently have an IR USB adapter plugged in that came with some old Media Center remotes I bought some years ago.

My experience has been that I've been able to get the Harmony remotes to work with the FireTV pretty well by adding an ORTek Media Player device with the exception of never having been able to get the FireTV "menu" button to work. I've tried a bunch of other devices in the Harmony app and have never found anything that seems to make this button work correctly including adding the Flirc FireTV device. I really want the menu button to work as it kind of defeats the purpose of a universal remote if I still need the FireTV remote for one button.

My question is whether the actual hardware device (the IR USB compnent) actually matters here and if this will all just work perfectly if I get the actual Flirc USB device. If so, I will buy two today. It did not make sense to me initially that the IR hardware would matter since the FireTV seemed to be happy recognizing the devices I already have but perhaps it does. Like I said, I really don't mind buying replacement hardware but I'd also like to know that it will fix the issue and would love to have some idea as to why it matters if you can share.

Thanks much in advance! The level of support you provide your customers here is really inspiring.

Link to post
Share on other sites

For completeness, I will respond to my own post. I went ahead and bought a Flirc USB receiver this weekend and just tested it. It works great and now the Menu button works with Fire TV. So, it appears that the IR hardware actually makes a difference. I will buy another one shortly. Thanks for creating this device!

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Joe Kaplan said:

For completeness, I will respond to my own post. I went ahead and bought a Flirc USB receiver this weekend and just tested it. It works great and now the Menu button works with Fire TV. So, it appears that the IR hardware actually makes a difference. I will buy another one shortly. Thanks for creating this device!

I have the new Fire Cube and the new Flirc also. I am using a URC MX-900 universal remote. The Flirc works great for all apps except for HULU, where the 'enter/ok/select' button does not work.

I am able to navigate thru the Cube's 'home' menu and choose all my loaded apps and navigate thru them without a problem, EXCEPT for the HULU app.  To be clear, I can choose the HULU app and it opens, but when I try to choose my profile by using the 'select' button on my MX-900 nothing happens. If I use the Fire's remote I can choose my profile and get into the app, and from there I can navigate thru HULU using all the other buttons (Lt, RT, up ,down,etc)  except the 'select' using my universal remote. @jason when I choose my profile in the HULU app using the Fire's remote I need to push the 'enter' button twice to choose my profile. Don't know what that means, but its repeatable every time I use the Fire remote to open and enter the HULU app.

Joe, if you have the HULU app could you please check to see if you are able to use the 'enter' button from your Harmony remote in the HULU app.

Thanks, Tom

Edited by tngiloy
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...

So, I have pretty much read through every post on this thread and I am still a bit confused as to whether the current Flirc USB (2nd generation) - https://www.amazon.co.uk/FLIRC-generation-universal-control-receiver/dp/B01NBRBWS6/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=flirc+usb&qid=1584958553&sr=8-1 - works with the latest Fire TV Stick 4k ? From what I can gather, as long as you use an OTG cable like - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B072Z9QHYR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 - then most of the Fire Stick's functionality should work.

Is this correct ?

If so, reading the documentation on here then the Harmony database already has a device profile for a Flirc controlled Fire TV but what do I actually need to do with the Flirc itself using the Flirc software ?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/23/2020 at 10:25 AM, AdamBrunt said:

So, I have pretty much read through every post on this thread and I am still a bit confused as to whether the current Flirc USB (2nd generation) - https://www.amazon.co.uk/FLIRC-generation-universal-control-receiver/dp/B01NBRBWS6/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=flirc+usb&qid=1584958553&sr=8-1 - works with the latest Fire TV Stick 4k ? From what I can gather, as long as you use an OTG cable like - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B072Z9QHYR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 - then most of the Fire Stick's functionality should work.

Is this correct ?

If so, reading the documentation on here then the Harmony database already has a device profile for a Flirc controlled Fire TV but what do I actually need to do with the Flirc itself using the Flirc software ?

 

Is anyone able to help with the above - before I return the Flirc to Amazon as not working ?

I have added the device on my Harmony Touch as per https://flirc.gitbooks.io/flirc-instructions/content/universal-remote-controls/logitech-harmony-remote-controls/firetv.html and have just plugged the Flirc into the Fire TV Stick 4k via an OTG (which should also work according to other posts on here). The Harmony remote now has a Flirc device with just one activity, Home, but it doesn't do anything and nor do any of the other buttons - even when I am testing the Flirc device specifically

Am I supposed to have done something with the Flirc software and Flirc USB before connecting it to the Fire TV ? Not that makes any difference as when start recording on the Flirc software it doesn't appear to detect me pressing any button on any remote ??!!??

Or does, as is now looking likely, it simply not work with the latest Fire TV Stick 4k ??

Edited by AdamBrunt
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Willie_Howell said:

Should be on the stick under settings, My Fire Tv under developer options.

Thanks - found that now and whilst ADB debugging was OFF he reminded me that I had hacked the Stick to show a different launcher which made me think that could be the reason.

One "factory reset" later and it is now working like a charm - just need to set up the activity/commands properly now.

Thanks again.

Edited by AdamBrunt
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...