Flirc Forums

Support multiple remotes?

ScottJ

I want to use FLIRC to see button presses from my receiver remote, and also button presses from my TV remote. Is this possible? (I realize the receiver and TV will also respond to those button presses.)

I read the FAQ on multiple remotes but it was confusing. "So long as they are the same remote or in the case of Harmony remotes - they are programmed as the same device" -- which seems to say no. But then later in the thread it says "you can pair as many remotes as you want". Which seems to say yes.

• Like 1

Yes, flirc's ability to pair buttons is independent of what devices you have.

Yes, you will have conflict if you use a samsung TV device to pair with your flirc and you have a samsung TV. However, some TV's will ignore irrelevant buttons should they not be on the contextual menu that applies. For example, on my panasonic TV, it will ignore upldown/left/right when not in a menu setting, although my samsung device will say, "error" on my television. Pretty dumb.

Does that make sense?

• 5 months later...

Yes, flirc's ability to pair buttons is independent of what devices you have.

Yes, you will have conflict if you use a samsung TV device to pair with your flirc and you have a samsung TV. However, some TV's will ignore irrelevant buttons should they not be on the contextual menu that applies. For example, on my panasonic TV, it will ignore upldown/left/right when not in a menu setting, although my samsung device will say, "error" on my television. Pretty dumb.

Does that make sense?

Right now I use FLIRC with the XBMC profile on a Mac Mini. It works great. I modified a few keys to my liking but the profile really helped. I also have a NUC running XBMC under Windows 8 using an MCE remote and receiver. All of these are eventually controlled by a Harmony One. I would love to replace the MCE receiver by an FLIRC. Will I run into problems? Can I use the XBMC profile for it? How will the different flirc's know which one I am trying to use?

Philip