Flirc Forums

I cannot get flirc installed on my linux machine

Tes

On 9/1/2023 at 1:49 PM, koprze said:

I have simmilar problem using curl instaling version on Ubuntu 22.04 64bit. Script successful executed, but nothing was installed. (I think the repo is broken or unavailable)

Then I tryed manual install from sources with success :

1. https://flirc.com/ubuntu-software-installation-guide - download Latest Archive 64bit

2. Unzip and copy flirc_util and Flirc files to /usr/local/bin/

3 In directory /etc/udev/rules.d create new file and name it 99-flirc.rules. Paste bellow content:

# Flirc Devices

# Bootloader
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device", ATTR{idVendor}=="20a0", ATTR{idProduct}=="0000", MODE="0666"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device", ATTR{idVendor}=="20a0", ATTR{idProduct}=="0002", MODE="0666"
SUBSYSTEM=="hidraw", ATTRS{idVendor}=="20a0", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0005", MODE="0666"

# Flirc Application
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device", ATTR{idVendor}=="20a0", ATTR{idProduct}=="0001", MODE="0666"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device", ATTR{idVendor}=="20a0", ATTR{idProduct}=="0004", MODE="0666"
SUBSYSTEM=="hidraw", ATTRS{idVendor}=="20a0", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0006", MODE="0666"

4. Restart computer

5.When I try to start  Flirc I got libreadline.so.7 missing dependencies error. In Ubuntu 22.04 is now version libreadline.so.8 installed so I crate symlink :

sudo ln -s /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libreadline.so.8 /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libreadline.so.7

6. Install other dependencies. (not all will  install, but don't afraid  and continue)

sudo apt install libhidapi-hidraw0

sudo apt install libqt5core5a

sudo apt install libqt5network5
sudo apt install libqt5xml5  
sudo apt install libqt5xmlpatterns5  
sudo apt install libhid 
sudo apt install qt5-qtbase 
sudo apt install qt5-qtsvg 
sudo apt install hidapi

7. Start configuration program using sudo command (without sudo program starting, but throw errors) :

sudo Flirc

Came here just to say this worked for me on Mint 21.1/Ubuntu 22.04 Today.

This should be the official Linux how-to. More or less did exactly the same thing and grabbed the udev script from here. The official repo is broken and the official install script doesn't report errors. Rebooted twice before discovering it never installed any packages! Also the udev files are not bundled into the tarball so this was the only place to find them. Again this is what worked for me. I think a few of the dependency names are wrong. Reminder to anyone looking for apt packages, make use of "apt search <keyword>" and break the keyword into a component part, sometimes Ubuntu names things weird. Thanks for sharing.

Was at first quite disappointed from the messy experience at first but it got better. :)

• Like 2

I have simmilar problem using curl instaling version on Ubuntu 22.04 64bit. Script successful executed, but nothing was installed. (I think the repo is broken or unavailable)

1. https://flirc.com/ubuntu-software-installation-guide - download Latest Archive 64bit

3 In directory /etc/udev/rules.d create new file and name it 99-flirc.rules. Paste bellow content:

# Flirc Devices

# Bootloader
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device", ATTR{idVendor}=="20a0", ATTR{idProduct}=="0000", MODE="0666"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device", ATTR{idVendor}=="20a0", ATTR{idProduct}=="0002", MODE="0666"
SUBSYSTEM=="hidraw", ATTRS{idVendor}=="20a0", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0005", MODE="0666"

# Flirc Application
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device", ATTR{idVendor}=="20a0", ATTR{idProduct}=="0001", MODE="0666"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device", ATTR{idVendor}=="20a0", ATTR{idProduct}=="0004", MODE="0666"
SUBSYSTEM=="hidraw", ATTRS{idVendor}=="20a0", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0006", MODE="0666"

4. Restart computer

5.When I try to start  Flirc I got libreadline.so.7 missing dependencies error. In Ubuntu 22.04 is now version libreadline.so.8 installed so I crate symlink :

sudo ln -s /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libreadline.so.8 /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libreadline.so.7

6. Install other dependencies. (not all will  install, but don't afraid  and continue)

sudo apt install libhid 
sudo apt install hidapi

7. Start configuration program using sudo command (without sudo program starting, but throw errors) :

sudo Flirc

Thank you! I will try this this week. My apologies. I had given up on this thing so I haven't been back to the thread in a little while. I'll try it hopefully tonight after work. Thank you so much for your reply! ☺

Here's the dependencies list reformatted  to existing package names on my Linux Mint 21.1 system (Ubuntu 22.04 based) to the best of my ability, possible there is some redundancy and only 2 or 3 of them are named differently

libhidapi-dev libhidapi-hidraw0 libqt5core5a libqt5network5 libqt5xml5 libqt5xmlpatterns5 libqt5svg5 libqt5svg5-dev qtbase5-dev

Edit: forgot qtbase5-dev

Edited by oarion7
  • Like 2

# Flirc Devices

# Bootloader

# Flirc Application

4. Restart computer

sudo apt install libhid 
sudo apt install hidapi

sudo Flirc

Thank you Thank you Thank you! I have been unable to use this software for 2 years now! Until you posted this. I had done much of it several times over already, but there is something different about your steps because this time it worked perfect! Thank you again!

• 4 months later...

I too have been struggling to get the Flirc software installed on Linux Mint

Eventually I found this thread and followed Koprze's instructions. It does now work but it throws these errors when it starts:

gui/Flirc/src/main.cpp log_setup(131): flirc.ini not in the default location[E] lib/libflirc/flirc_driver.c fl_major_version(508): something bad happened
[E] lib/libflirc/flirc_driver.c fl_minor_version(498): something bad happened
[E] lib/libflirc/flirc_driver.c fl_patch_version(558): something bad happened

These last 2 lines then repeat but the GUI pops up and it all appears to work. I'd like to fix the problem though.

Flirc REALLY need to fix this - you shouldn't make it this hard for people to install the software on Linux

• 1 month later...