Flirc Forums

Is there a way to tell if the Flirc unit is faulty?

Rikusj

Hi,

I’ve got a flirc that I’ve been using in a Raspberry Pi running raspbmc.  A couple of months ago I experienced the repeating phantom key press issue, which was sorted out by a firmware upgrade.

Recently I’ve been having an issue where the I had to periodically plug out the flirc and plug it back in after the Pi has been dormant for a while.  Now it’s pretty much stopped working.  Last night I flashed the latest firmware and did a fresh install of OSMC.  I cleared all the key bindings in the flirc app and reprogrammed all the keys.  Still didn’t work.  The USB ports on the Pi seem to be fine, a usb keyboard works perfectly.  The remote (a harmony 300) works, because it happily still controls the other devices on the other profiles.

During the flirc key assigning process some keys where struggling to record and it took a while / multiple presses to register.  Is there something that I can do to check that it’s receiving instructions and/or passing them along properly?

The reason I’m looking at the actual flirc is that we’ve been having massive power issues where I stay.  Regular blackouts and random power spikes as they power the grid back on wreaks havoc on electronics.

I’d appreciate any help.

Thanks!

Hi,

I'm sorry you are experiencing such problems. I'm not sure I'll be able to help but there are a couple of things you can do to help pinpointing the problem:

- What power supply are you using to power RPi? Can you post the output power ratings?

- Do you have another power supply you can test with? As it is powered using microusb you can use any phone charger.

- Have you tried plugging Flirc into PC and test it there? Do you see keys highlighting in Flirc software when you press the remote button after you recorded it? You can also do a notepad test and check if it write something when you press the buttons.

- Have you tried plugging Flirc into other USB port on the Pi?

Thanks for the reply!

Hi,

I'm sorry you are experiencing such problems. I'm not sure I'll be able to help but there are a couple of things you can do to help pinpointing the problem:

- What power supply are you using to power RPi? Can you post the output power ratings?

- Do you have another power supply you can test with? As it is powered using microusb you can use any phone charger.

- Have you tried plugging Flirc into PC and test it there? Do you see keys highlighting in Flirc software when you press the remote button after you recorded it? You can also do a notepad test and check if it write something when you press the buttons.

- Have you tried plugging Flirc into other USB port on the Pi?

I'm using a 2A charger from a Galaxy Tab.

- I have, will give that a go!

- I haven't done a pc test.  I'll do that when I get home tonight!  

-Yes, you'd both... no luck.

Thanks again!

If there was a power surge, it's very likely the unit could be damaged. You should make sure you have a surge protector on the line into the pi, I don't have anything for such an event on my device.

Feel free to reach out to me for a replacement.