Flirc Forums

Machining issue

Hi! I just set up two Pi 5s in Flirc cases. I noticed both of them were wobbling on the table after assembly (and reassembly). After taking a closer look I found that one of the supports for the PCB is slightly higher than the other three. It's the same support that has this issue on both of my cases, so perhaps a consistent manufacturing defect? I checked with digital calipers and could measure approximately 0.3 to 0.4 mm additional height on this support vs the other three. As you can see in the photo, there's an uneven look to the support, where the part closest to the bridge is visibly higher.

I solved this on my cases by carefully filing down the excess metall and verifying with calipers. Both cases are now completely wobble free.

IMG_1501.jpg

Edited by Brunnis

13 hours ago, Brunnis said:

Hi! I just set up two Pi 5s in Flirc cases. I noticed both of them were wobbling on the table after assembly (and reassembly). After taking a closer look I found that one of the supports for the PCB is slightly higher than the other three. It's the same support that has this issue on both of my cases, so perhaps a consistent manufacturing defect? I checked with digital calipers and could measure approximately 0.3 to 0.4 mm additional height on this support vs the other three. As you can see in the photo, there's an uneven look to the support, where the part closest to the bridge is visibly higher.

I solved this on my cases by carefully filing down the excess metall and verifying with calipers. Both cases are now completely wobble free.

IMG_1501.jpg

Wow. Thanks for posting this. Where did you purchase? I’ll try and track this down

Hey there!

It sounds like you've encountered a manufacturing issue with your Flirc cases for the Raspberry Pi 5s. It seems that one of the supports for the PCB is slightly higher than the others, causing the devices to wobble on the table.

You've managed to fix the problem by carefully filing down the excess metal on the uneven support, ensuring both cases are now wobble-free. If this is a consistent issue across multiple cases, it might be worth reaching out to Flirc's customer support to notify them about the issue.

Great job on finding a solution! Hopefully, your Raspberry Pi setups are now stable and ready to go.

Edited by jhonnmuller