Flirc Forums

FAQ for the Flirc Case for the Raspberry Pi 5

Why is the thermal pad so small?

The PI 5 heat sink is a slightly different, rounded design compared to the Pi4 and previous iterations. The pad has been shaped to match up with the rounded bump out of the Pi 5, and thermal tests have been run with that shape in mind. With that said, please see the below video on the suggested method for installing the thermal pad, as proper alignment is required for best thermals.

How do I setup the Pi 5 case? 

Because the Pi 5 case is a bit different than past cases, we've made a quick video on how to install the light pipe, button, and thermal pad. Most importantly, unlike past cases, it's important to install the thermal pad directly on the Pi 5 first, because that's the only way to be sure it is correctly centered where the two heat sinks meet.

Does the case support the Raspberry Pi 5?
Yes, designed, proven, and tested only for the Raspberry Pi 5

How does the new button work?
The button is a standard software button as you find on most PCs.

Can I see the Raspberry Pi's LEDs?
Yes, you can.

What does the case come with?
The case comes partially assembled. All you need to do is put your thermal pad on the CPU, drop your Raspberry Pi inside the case, and screw the bottom of the case on with the included screws.

Does the case come with a Raspberry Pi?
The case does not come with a Raspberry Pi.

Can I access the SD Card?
Yes, the SD card is accessible through a slot on the front of the case.

Does this case support the Raspberry Pi 4, 3B+, 3B, or 2?
No, get the case appropriate for your board

Should the thermal pad "stick" or adhere to the top case & heatsink?

It's not possible to assess visually if the pad is making contact with the heatsink on my unit, but I have my suspicions and a rather high idle temperature...

I am certain I have everything installed correctly tho, all ports & screws aligned.

2 hours ago, killthewiseone said:

Should the thermal pad "stick" or adhere to the top case & heatsink?

It's not possible to assess visually if the pad is making contact with the heatsink on my unit, but I have my suspicions and a rather high idle temperature...

I am certain I have everything installed correctly tho, all ports & screws aligned.

It will stick to both if you've removed the plastic film as shown in the video. If you've stuck the pad to the Pi first, it will definitely stick there. Then just remember to remove the other film on the top of the pad. 

Thanks for the response,

Yes plastic removed etc.

If it "sticks" to both I assume it doesn't provide much hold - is the thermal pad supposed to be re-usable or is it something you'd ideally replace after removing the pi from the case?

I don't have much experience working with heatsinks and such I can't get the idea out of my head that it should be like a glue.