Flirc Forums

How to configure Flirc Skip 1S with Flirc USB for Kodi with PVR Addon

Solomalee

Hi folks,

I received my nice new Flirc Skip 1S remotes yesterday and excitedly got down to setting them up on my ‘most straight forward’ configuration (A TV and a Kodi Box). An hour later, I was stumped. After a few searches on the forums, I didn’t find any obvious fixes, so I spent a rainy Saturday figuring this out for the community.

Here are my conclusions and also a few Bug Fix requests for the Flirc team at the end...

My configuration
MacBook Pro OSX 13.5.2
Kodi 20.2.0
Flirc Skip App 0.9.954
Flirc USB App 3.25.3

YouTube Video showing the same method can be found here

Steps to configure Flirc Skip 1S for Kodi, including PVR and other ‘missing’ commands

• Delete all configurations from the Flirc Skip 1S remote and delete the remote from the Skip App
  • Connect Flirc USB to a USB port
  • In the Flirc USB app select the Kodi Controller
  • In the Skip App, Use the wizard to configure an activity using the wizard as follows:
    • Activity A:
      Media Center PC > Kodi
    • Add Devices:
      PC > Flirc - Kodi
      PC > Flirc - Windows Media Center
  • Map the Kodi device to the controls for Navigation, Media and Audio
  • Choose the Buttons panel and make the following modifications
    • Power Button: Power Up:
      Remove any Power Up commands
    • Power Button: Power Down:
      Removed any Power Down commands
    • Record Button:
      Map to the PC: Windows Media Center - RECORD command
    • Channel Up Button:
      Map to the PC: Windows Media Center - CHANNEL UP command
    • Channel Down Button:
      Map to the PC: Windows Media Center - CHANNEL DOWN command 
    • Home Button:
      Map to the PC: Windows Media Center - GOTO GUIDE command (This is a personal preference given the lack of a dedicated Guide button)
  • Synchronise the remote.
  • At this stage, there is one button that still won’t function, the STOP button. To enable the stop button…
    • Open the Flirc USB app
    • Pick the STOP command in the Kodi controller (you will be promoted to record an IR command)
    • Press the STOP button on the Flirc Skip 1S remote (the STOP IR command should now be mapped to the Kodi command for STOP)
  • Grab a beer, popcorn or nachos and enjoy a fully functioning Kodi remote

Hope at least a couple of folks find this interim solution useful.

Now for the Bug reports

BUG: Skip 1S Flirc - WIndows Media Center device has the command GOTO RECORDED TV mapped to the record button: 
FIX: Change to the RECORD Command

BUG: Skip 1S Flirc - Kodi device is missing various IR codes and respective Kodi action mappings:
FIX 1: Please add PC: Windows Media Center Record Button IR Code to the Skip 1S Record Button and map to the respective Kodi RECORD action [R]
FIX 2: Please add PC: Windows Media Center Channel Up IR Code to the Skip 1S Channel Up Button and map to the respective Kodi PageUp action [Page Up]
FIX 3: Please add PC: Windows Media Center Channel Down IR Code to the Skip 1S Channel Down Button and map to the respective Kodi PageDown action [Page Down]
FEATURE REQUEST: Please add PC: Windows Media Center TV Guide IR Code and map to the respective Kodi TVGuide action [E]

Solo

4 hours ago, jason said:

In the skip app software there should be:

manufacturer: flirc

device: kodi

This includes a profile that is pre paired with Flirc so no Flirc setup needed. 

I’m probably missing a few items in my built in profiles. 

@Jason

That's right, I tried that profile first time out, unfortunately, it's incomplete. It is missing several mappings, hence my lengthy research today and the resulting How to.

In particular, the following are missing from the Profile:

- Record Button has no IR code and no mapping to the respective Kodi Mapping
- Home button has no IR code and it's really handy to map that the the TV Guide action (A personal preference, not really a bug)
- Channel Up & Channel Down have no IR Code and these are great when mapped to the Kodi Page Up and Page Down options
- STOP button has an IR code, but this seems not to be mapped to the respective Kodi action

If you can update the Kodi profile to address those gaps, that would be very much appreciated.

Solo