Flirc Forums

Can't Figure Out Switching Activities

tgiokdi

I think the setup wizard could use some polishing, as there's no questions about what input you need to be on for any of the activities when you first set them up.  It took me a few minutes to figure out that the wizard had completely left those out.  Now that I have the inputs all working correct, I can't figure out how switch between two activities without completely powering down my entire setup, then powering it back up with the new activity.

a - watch tv (tv on tuner, a/v set to tv)

b - watch roku (tv on hdmi 2, a/v set to tv)

c - watch kodi (tv on hdmi 4, a/v set to tv)

Pressing the activity button doesn't appear to do anything other than select that activity on the remote, it doesn't send any signals until I hit the power button, which isn't what I'm wanting to do.  I think we need a long press or double press to have those buttons actually broadcast a sequence. 

I have an xbox that I want to use once or twice a week, so I'm just using the OEM remotes for everything to turn the tv to hdmi 3 and turn on the xbox, but it sure would be nice to be able to use this remote to get everything turned on before I have to pull out a xbox controller. 

• Like 1

I haven't had success with input switching, but here is my workaround based on a suggestion from somewhere around here...If your devices power on and off properly (which mine don't) it's only one extra button press.

Press activity 'A BUTTON', then 'POWER'  in order to watch TV

To start watching your ROKU, press activity 'B BUTTON' without hitting the power button. You will first need to assign a button (maybe #2?) to switch the TV to HDMI 2.   Unfortunately this means that you can't use the the #2 button on the keypad while watching your ROKU.

To watch KODI, press activity 'C BUTTON' without hitting the power button. You will first need to assign a button (maybe #3?) to switch the TV to HDMI 3.   Unfortunately this means that you can't use the the #3 button on the keypad while watching KODI-no great loss obviously. 

You should also program the #1 button to switch back to HDMI input for watching TV. 

Since you are using the same input on your a/v unit, and only changing the HDMI inputs for your 3 activities, it should be fairly simple. LOL

You could use the color wheel thingy to program a 'power all off' command.

• Like 1

My solution has been to:

1. Because the skip1 doesn't support actions on the activities buttons, I use the Red color button to power on my home theater and configure all of the inputs. That means powering on my system or switching what I'm watching is a three mutton press: Activity, Color, Red. It's a work around until the remote can support actions on the activities buttons.
  2. To power off everything, I map the discrete power off commands to "Power Up" and "Power Down". This makes it a dedicated button for powering off the system. Not all devices support discrete power options, so YMMV.

Ben

I have:

A - watch tv

B - watch Roku

My sequence is to press A then power.  This turns every component on, tv, cable box and soundbar.  The power button on activity A for power up does: TV power on, cable power on, soundbar toggle, tv input HDMI 1.  The rest of the remote buttons control the cable box an soundbar.

To watch Roku, I press B then power.  The power button under B s set to change the tv input to HDMI 2.  The rest of the buttons are programmed to control the roku and the soundbar

To go back to watch cable, I press the power button agan under activity B, but without pressing the B button.  On power down under B, the power button changes the TV input to HDMI 1.  I then press the A button (but not the power button), which allows me to control the cable box again.

To turn everything off, I use the A activity and the power button.  The power down option is set to: tv power off, cable power off, soundbar power toggle

to watch cable: A - power button

to watch roku when the system is off: A - power button - B

to turn off from watching cable: power button

to turn off form watching roku: power button - A - power button

I would think you could add Kodi the same was to C, using the A activity to power everything on/off

This seems to be working for me so far.  I did not want to sacrifice any of the other buttons for powering things or changing inputs, especially when we can use macros for multiple commands. I feel like I want/need more buttons coming from the Harmony One remote.  I haven't found a better way to set this up yet, at least without more buttons to program or long presses.