Flirc Forums

Apple 4K + Device Parameters

laarj
Go to solution Solved by jason,

11 hours ago, jason said:

There is also a bug on the import page if you click on an item, it shows the wrong file on the right and you'll eventually crash the app. This is fixed in the latest nightly which I'll probably release tomorrow because it's pissing me off. Here is a copy:

http://update.flirc.tv/skipapp/nightly/0.9.92.6338/SkipApp-0.9.92.6338-Nightly-x64.msix?token=skipAppUpdate

http://update.flirc.tv/skipapp/nightly/0.9.92.6338/SkipApp-0.9.92.6338-Nightly-x64.dmg?token=skipAppUpdate

Jason, when I go to the above link it asks for a user name and password. Neither my forum or site logins work.

7 hours ago, jason said:

Windows and Mac

Looks like it didn't linkify the whole thing and was not including the token. Try again or copy and paste the entire url.

Yep see that now. I was able to update the app and added the Json files. Tried all with the Apple TV. Unfortunately, same results; ATV blinks when sending commands but nothing happens.

1 hour ago, laarj said:

Yep see that now. I was able to update the app and added the Json files. Tried all with the Apple TV. Unfortunately, same results; ATV blinks when sending commands but nothing happens.

This is crazy, I have about 10 appletv's. Between us, my inlaws I setup, and the office, I've never seen this issue. What the hell is going on.

What Region are you in? (US, EU?) 

Which JSON Files did you try?

On 7/24/2023 at 12:51 AM, jason said:

US, the 4 above. What's odd is that I'm not the only one having this issue. I've played around with all the ATV settings with no change.......Why it works on some boxes and not others is the question of the day. 

3 hours ago, laarj said:

US, the 4 above. What's odd is that I'm not the only one having this issue. I've played around with all the ATV settings with no change.......Why it works on some boxes and not others is the question of the day. 

do you have a harmony or any other IR remote that may work on the apple TV?

10 minutes ago, jason said:

Do you have more than one appletv? Are you at all open to going to settings and hitting reset.  It’s gotta be something on their side. 

1 hour ago, jason said:

A few days ago I tried a Harmony 700 IR remote and it worked fine with my ATV (responded  to all button presses).  For some reason, the Skip is locked out. It would be a major job to reload all the apps if I did a reset. Only have 1 ATV. 

"It's gotta be something on their side". Don't disagree with that but why the Logitech works and the Skip doesn't is the question. The fact that it does work with some  (or most) ATV's leads to your conclusion that it's something on their side. The issue here is that a majority of users are going to be in same camp as me and won't want to reset their ATV if this does resolve the issue.

Doing a little online research, I believe the ATV can only be paired with one ATV remote at a time. Wondering if maybe the Skip is mimicking a ATV remote and thus locked out. Doesn't explain why some work and others don't, but thought I would throw it out there.

5 minutes ago, laarj said:

A few days ago I tried a Harmony 700 IR remote and it worked fine with my ATV (responded  to all button presses).  For some reason, the Skip is locked out. It would be a major job to reload all the apps if I did a reset. Only have 1 ATV. 

"It's gotta be something on their side". Don't disagree with that but why the Logitech works and the Skip doesn't is the question. The fact that it does work with some  (or most) ATV's leads to your conclusion that it's something on their side. The issue here is that a majority of users are going to be in same camp as me and won't want to reset their ATV if this does resolve the issue.

Doing a little online research, I believe the ATV can only be paired with one ATV remote at a time. Wondering if maybe the Skip is mimicking a ATV remote and thus locked out. Doesn't explain why some work and others don't, but thought I would throw it out there.

That’s probably it. It was using the harmony and then it’s locked to their ID. Do you have a flirc usb ?

10 hours ago, jason said:

I think I got it. Import this.

You did! Buttons all work.

So, to summarize, why did the ATV lock out the Skip? I went back to using the Apple TV Gen 4 (media mgr) device code and all buttons map correctly. You may want to add the "unpair" option to this device code for others having the same issue.

Do appreciate the great support in resolving this. 

• Solution
55 minutes ago, laarj said:

You did! Buttons all work.

So, to summarize, why did the ATV lock out the Skip? I went back to using the Apple TV Gen 4 (media mgr) device code and all buttons map correctly. You may want to add the "unpair" option to this device code for others having the same issue.

Do appreciate the great support in resolving this. 

I spent nearly all day on it. But when you told me about your harmony, I started messing around with mine and the original apple tv silver remote. Then I remembered you can pair it. So I tried to figure out what the pair code was for the newer remote models but couldn’t. So I decoded the silver pair remote, and tried to add it to the skip, but it wouldn’t work after a modification.

But then I locked myself out. So I was on to something.

So I finally stumbled on how to unpair a remote and tried that. Yes, I’m definitely adding that along with documentation. 

So glad it’s working. Thanks for trying that quickly and helping put this to rest.

1 hour ago, jason said:

So I finally stumbled on how to unpair a remote

I assume the ATV remote is paired to the ATV box. When the Logitech was added it created its' own pair and locked out other 3rd party remotes (i.e. Skip) from working. Is that what was going on? Just wanted to understand why the Logitech prevented the Skip from working. Is it just with Logitech you would see this or any 3rd party remote?

• 2 months later...
On 7/25/2023 at 11:46 PM, jason said:

I think I got it. Import this.

Map the 'UNPAIR' button to something. Press and hold that until you see your apple tv flash. Then the remote should work. crossing fingers. Let me know.

Apple - Apple 4k.json 12.62 kB · 8 downloads

Hi - sorry to snipe this thread, but having the same issue with my AppleTV4K and the skip1s blinking the led on the front of the ATV, but no actions being taken.  I do not know how to/where to import the json, but have the remote, and the USB both plugged into PC.  I also have been using a Harmony1 with this setup for years and it's finally kicking the bucket, so moving to this slick new universal!  Attaching my config file here.

Office.skip

14 hours ago, scozz13 said:

Hi - sorry to snipe this thread, but having the same issue with my AppleTV4K and the skip1s blinking the led on the front of the ATV, but no actions being taken.  I do not know how to/where to import the json, but have the remote, and the USB both plugged into PC.  I also have been using a Harmony1 with this setup for years and it's finally kicking the bucket, so moving to this slick new universal!  Attaching my config file here.

Office.skip 247.42 kB · 0 downloads

If I remember correctly, the remote has to be in administrative mode. There's a config file that you place in one of the Skip's file folders. Check out the threads on importing json files. You are then able to import json files. Jason's response above (25th) has the json file that you import and then assign the "unpair" button to one button. It should then work correctly. Your other remote is locking out the Skip.

54 minutes ago, laarj said:

If I remember correctly, the remote has to be in administrative mode. There's a config file that you place in one of the Skip's file folders. Check out the threads on importing json files. You are then able to import json files. Jason's response above (25th) has the json file that you import and then assign the "unpair" button to one button. It should then work correctly. Your other remote is locking out the Skip.

If you update the App, it’s built in now. If it’s not showing because you had a much older version, make sure you go through the wizard again (but this is likely not to be the case.

@scozz13 just look through the button list in the activity, assign the unpair button to a button and send that to your appletv.