Flirc Forums

Apple 4K + Device Parameters

laarj
Go to solution Solved by jason,

Received Skip and loaded latest app. Set up "Watch TV" with Onkyo TX-RZ50, Apple TV 4K (2022) and LG TV.  Finding the correct device for the Onkyo was hit and miss. I never found one of the selections that had all the mapped buttons. This is in the same family as the TX-NR7100. Another user had the same problem trying to map his Onkyo. I know you are working on the device input selection, but right now, having to guess what selection matches your equipment negates the automation of the app. Hopefully at some point, entering the model # will pull up the correct device parameters.

The second issue was guessing which of the 2 Apple TV devices matched my ATV 4K. Tried both and the ATV sees the IR but nothing changes. Not sure if some setting in the ATV needs to be changed or another Skip Apple device is available that I'm not seeing.

Appreciate your feedback.

On 6/30/2023 at 12:24 PM, rjenkins8142 said:

Yeah, I'm having the same issue. Neither Apple TV code works. The front panel blinks like it's seeing the IR signal, but nothing happens.

I have only ever used apple TVs at home. I've never had an issue. No buttons work? Are you sure you are mapping them correctly on the remote? I'm not aware of any setting since IR is enabled on the remote to do HDMI CEC volume control. 

Can you post your configs?

Is there any other config data that you need? I have 3 devices in activity A; LG CX TV, Onkyo TX-RZ50, and Apple TV 4K (2022). Both the LG and Onkyo power up and am able to control the volume with the Skip. The ATV sends IR (flashing front panel LED on the ATV) but doesn't change anything. Both Apple device codes respond the same.

25 minutes ago, laarj said:

Far as I know, yes. Haven't seen a response since sending the config file on Sat. Appreciate your results.

AVR stopped working with the remote. Skip still sends IR to ATV but no response from ATV. Very frustrating......

I can imagine this is frustrating, yeah.   Apple TV's are everywhere - it is in the best interest of the company to make this work or ppl will be unhappy and ultimately return the product.

3 hours ago, kompiler said:

Setup the remote last night and magically everything worked on 1st attempt.  Maybe I should purchase a lottery ticket because these things never go this easy!

FWIW I am GEN 4 Apple TV.

What version of ATV OS are you using? I have 16.5. Anything enabled in the Home Theater Control settings? Probably is a setting in the ATV......

I am also on 16.5.  The only thing that I could find that might be related is I have turned off all restrictions including the remote pairing but that seems to be bluetooth related?  Not sure 100%.

Hopefully you all can get this sorted - this remote is great with Apple TV and especially when holding down buttons - the repeat is great which is largely the reason I bought it.

Edited by kompiler
  • Like 1

On 7/11/2023 at 7:10 PM, kompiler said:

I am also on 16.5.  The only thing that I could find that might be related is I have turned off all restrictions including the remote pairing but that seems to be bluetooth related?  Not sure 100%.

Hopefully you all can get this sorted - this remote is great with Apple TV and especially when holding down buttons - the repeat is great which is largely the reason I bought it.

Went back through the ATV settings and I have all restrictions off as well. I cleared the remote back to factory defaults and cleared activities. Reloaded and same results. Are you using the "set top box" device for the ATV? Apple TV Gen4 (media manager) maps all the ATV buttons. ATV flashes as IR is sent from the Skip but nothing happens. AVR buttons are working so I know at least that the Skip IR is working at some level.

On 7/13/2023 at 2:03 PM, laarj said:

Went back through the ATV settings and I have all restrictions off as well. I cleared the remote back to factory defaults and cleared activities. Reloaded and same results. Are you using the "set top box" device for the ATV? Apple TV Gen4 (media manager) maps all the ATV buttons. ATV flashes as IR is sent from the Skip but nothing happens. AVR buttons are working so I know at least that the Skip IR is working at some level.

It's the appletv, not the remote. For now, you can go 'learn' new remote in your apple tv.

I have one idea I can try outside of this, but will need some time.

16 minutes ago, jason said:

It's the appletv, not the remote. For now, you can go 'learn' new remote in your apple tv.

I have one idea I can try outside of this, but will need some time.

Already tried that... 2 or 3 keys are accepted and then says keys are already in use. Some ATV 4k (2022) users are having this issue, others are not. I've played around with all the settings with no luck......

21 hours ago, laarj said:

I have a Logitech Harmony 700 IR remote that I set up with my ATV to see if another third party remote would work. It controls all the mapped functions with the buttons correctly. So I'm at a loss why the Logitech works and the Skip doesn't. Timing between repeats, maybe... Also, doesn't explain why some ATV 2022 work fine and others don't.....

6 hours ago, laarj said:

I have a Logitech Harmony 700 IR remote that I set up with my ATV to see if another third party remote would work. It controls all the mapped functions with the buttons correctly. So I'm at a loss why the Logitech works and the Skip doesn't. Timing between repeats, maybe... Also, doesn't explain why some ATV 2022 work fine and others don't.....

The Apple TV codes have a device in them. I can try changing that. I’ll try this week to resolve this. 

I pulled a bunch of codes from other places, I'm dumping them all here.

There might be some bugs, and because the naming of buttons is using the same as the source, and not our internal, things will not auto-map. But hopefully this does something. Start with the Gen3_v2 and Gen3 files.

Please let me know.

There is also a bug on the import page if you click on an item, it shows the wrong file on the right and you'll eventually crash the app. This is fixed in the latest nightly which I'll probably release tomorrow because it's pissing me off. Here is a copy:

http://update.flirc.tv/skipapp/nightly/0.9.92.6338/SkipApp-0.9.92.6338-Nightly-x64.msix?token=skipAppUpdate

http://update.flirc.tv/skipapp/nightly/0.9.92.6338/SkipApp-0.9.92.6338-Nightly-x64.dmg?token=skipAppUpdate

Please let me know.

Apple - Apple_TV.json Apple - Apple_TV_Gen2.json Apple - Apple_TV_Gen3.json Apple - Apple_TV_Gen3_v2.json