Flirc Forums

Can the skip remote be set up with linux?

patrick

The skip remote and flirc usb arrived. I am able to run the Flirc linux app in fedora but I cannot get it to "see" any button presses from the skip remote.

Out of the box, do any of the buttons on the remote actually send a signal? The A B C and light buttons light up as expected (I think) but when the Flirc app is in learning mode it never reacts to any button presses of the skip remote.

At the moment I would simply like remote/flirc to do the basic multimedia key events like play/pause etc.

• Like 1

On 6/6/2023 at 2:19 PM, patrick said:

The skip remote and flirc usb arrived. I am able to run the Flirc linux app in fedora but I cannot get it to "see" any button presses from the skip remote.

Out of the box, do any of the buttons on the remote actually send a signal? The A B C and light buttons light up as expected (I think) but when the Flirc app is in learning mode it never reacts to any button presses of the skip remote.

At the moment I would simply like remote/flirc to do the basic multimedia key events like play/pause etc.

I might be misunderstanding the question, but the Skip doesn't come pre-programmed with Flirc commands, though that's not a terrible idea. The expectation is that you'll want to set up the Skip with more than just a Flirc, so each remote comes clean and expects at least a first run of the Skip App to set things up the first time.

• 3 weeks later...

An appImage is now available. I was able to download and launch it, but, when I plug in the remote via USB, nothing happens (it doesn't seem to recognize that the device was plugged in).

Glad to see they are working on a Linux app version. It's not listed in their instructions so it must be an early version.

On 6/25/2023 at 10:42 AM, Scotland said:

An appImage is now available. I was able to download and launch it, but, when I plug in the remote via USB, nothing happens (it doesn't seem to recognize that the device was plugged in).

Same issue here on arch linux - device shows up via lsusb, but the app doesn't recognise it. But a huge +1 for linux support.

• 2 months later...

I was able to get the latest AppImage (SkipApp-0.9.95-Beta-x64.AppImage) working using these horrible udev rules cribbed from the ones that ship with Flirc:

`SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device", ATTR{idVendor}=="20a0", MODE="0666"
SUBSYSTEM=="hidraw", ATTRS{idVendor}=="20a0", MODE="0666"`

The productID seems to be 0007 but when I included that limit in the rules the app didn't see remote but it worked when I removed it. So keep in mind the above will match any flirc product like the flirc IR dongle thing.

The app seems to run okay and sees the remote when it is plugged in.

It did crash once at some point but upon restart it didn't crash in the same place.

Also, if anyone cares, it seems to store userdata in two places: `~/.config/com.flirc.skip-app/` and `~/.local/share/com.flirc.skip-app/`.