Flirc Forums

Harmony full keyboard profile

o_cee

I tried the native XBMC profile on my Logitech Harmony, and it worked beautifully(ish)! As far as I can see, most of the concerns (for example ) are still valid. Using XBMCs new PVR functionality adds on a couple of more missing keys.

Wouldn't it be easier to just have a full keyboard profile, with as many keys as possible just generically named? This way, "power" users would be able to create a perfect setup directly in the Harmony tool, without needing modifications of keymap.xml or using multiple devices on the remote to get more buttons.

What do you say Jason? Please let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

You can still do this.

1)  Use the non-BETA firmware.  I have found the BETA firmware a little buggy when using the Harmony.  Also, only the BETA firmware works with the Harmony and FLIRC "out of the box", but read on for the work around.

2)  Program you Harmony using the FLIRC profile in Harmony's database.

3)  Use the FLIRC GUI or the XBMC plugin to program the keys to your liking including full keyboard functionality (i.e 'S' on the exit key will bring up the shutdown menu)

Since using this method I have had no need to customize the keymap.xml.

Does this still give you better performance, compared to using whichever Panasonic/Samsung TV profile?

As long as there are enough discreet IR codes in the XBMC profile, this method is fine, but the config will still get a bit messy (for example mapping Zoom+ to the guide button to E which brings up the EPG). Would be easier to just have a full keyboard in the Harmony. But yes, I see your point, I'll probably do it this way in the meantime, thanks for the suggestion!

It's probably the same performance as using a TV profile.  However, I have never used a TV profile.  In the FLIRC GUI or the XBMC addon, you can select full keyboard and program the Harmony that way.  Just make sure each key has something associated with it.  If your Harmony has an LCD screen, you can also customize it for any other action.