Flirc Forums

FLIRC programs, but doesn't send keyboard strokes - please tell me I'm missing something!

This is probably (hopefully) a very basic problem, but I cannot get my new FLIRC USB (Firmware v. 4.10.3) to do the most basic thing.  I'm running Windows 11. The GUI loads and sees the USB dongle.  It shows as "connected."  When I chose a button or a key combination on the GUI, it says "press the button to be paired with '[key]'" When I press a button on my IR remote, the GUI sees it and says "Recorded successfully."

Now what?

When I hit the button the remote, nothing happens.  The computer isn't seeing anything.  What am I missing?

3 minutes ago, Tom Rammer said:

This is probably (hopefully) a very basic problem, but I cannot get my new FLIRC USB (Firmware v. 4.10.3) to do the most basic thing.  I'm running Windows 11. The GUI loads and sees the USB dongle.  It shows as "connected."  When I chose a button or a key combination on the GUI, it says "press the button to be paired with '[key]'" When I press a button on my IR remote, the GUI sees it and says "Recorded successfully."

Now what?

When I hit the button the remote, nothing happens.  The computer isn't seeing anything.  What am I missing?

The window that you want to control has to be in focus. Try recording some letters from the keyboard and inputting that into a text file (Bringing the text file to the front).

Unless it's the media controller keys, which are system wide.

I will be adding game controller support soon so that more input keys can be seen as system wide.

I've tried that, but I'm getting nothing.  FLIRC sees the IR commands and says they're recorded, but nothing gets relayed to the PC when i hit the remote buttons.  I've tried media controller keys, arrow keys, letters, combo-keys (alt +1), and I get no response on my PC.

Just now, Tom Rammer said:

I've tried that, but I'm getting nothing.  FLIRC sees the IR commands and says they're recorded, but nothing gets relayed to the PC when i hit the remote buttons.  I've tried media controller keys, arrow keys, letters, combo-keys (alt +1), and I get no response on my PC.

if you try to record the same signal again, does it say it's already been recorded?

1 hour ago, Tom Rammer said:

I moved the USB dongle to a Mac and the remote is sending the recorded keystroke.  Is this a Windows driver issue?

Did you do anything in device manager? 

there are two devices. One is the hid keyboard and one is the hid custom device. Windows should auto assign the driver. This is strange. Do you see anything suspicious in device manager?

Seems like plugging the FLIRC in adds only one HID Keyboard Device and a number of new HIDs (2x HID-compliant consumer control devices, 1 HID-compliant system controller, 2x HID-compliant vendor-defined devices, 3x USB Input Devices). It isn't clear which of these are FLIRC-related - they all say either "Standard system devices" or are Microsoft devices.

image.png.36f0ac98bc5286c7a81cd7613d10b0c5.png

image.png.a813335317778cd88bdafb29f1527c38.png

19 hours ago, jason said:

Did you do anything in device manager? 

there are two devices. One is the hid keyboard and one is the hid custom device. Windows should auto assign the driver. This is strange. Do you see anything suspicious in device manager?

Any bright ideas on the device manager?  Seems like plugging in the FLIRC added a lot more devices than expected.