Flirc Forums

Unable to update remote after upgrading to a new Mac

RGunther

I upgraded my computer and reloaded all my software. I figured I was doing what I'd need to by saving my remote configuration in a .skip file. But now that I've loaded the app on my new Mac, I can't load the file. When I try to open the file itself, it says the Skip App can't load such files, and when I try to load the file from the app, the Open option in the File menu is disabled. I tried connecting the remote and syncing it, but I get an error that says it can't sync? So how am I supposed to update my remote settings if I can't get the app to acknowledge the settings I already created? I don't want to have to start over again.Screenshot2024-03-17at5_43_09PM.thumb.png.0f2dec2ead0eb0e2fb615ddd1ff5612b.pngScreenshot2024-03-17at5_43_19PM.png.07def24c982e125df9f68df311cd38d3.png

• 2 weeks later...

Two weeks later and no response to your issue? Were you able to resolve it? I'm on a old Mac and just updated two activities and hit sync and I got "An error occurred while synchronizing" and now the remote does nothing and will not sync. Tried removing batteries, different USB-C cable, different USB port...nothing.

Edit: like you, my File menu's options to open, create new, and save settings are all grayed out.

Latest version of Skip app.

Edited by monkeybrew

4 minutes ago, monkeybrew said:

Two weeks later and no response to your issue? Were you able to resolve it?

Nothing. No response. I'm starting to wonder if this product is walking dead.

I was not able to resolve my issue. In fact, it seems that attempting to sync from my remote to the app actually wiped out what was on my remote. So maybe it's just not able to do that. Looks like I'll need to recreate my devices and activities. I hope Flirc isn't abandoning this thing. It's a decent remote!

2 hours ago, RGunther said:

In fact, it seems that attempting to sync from my remote to the app actually wiped out what was on my remote.

The same thing seems to have happened to mine. I had 3 activities which were working as expected and now none of them do anything. The activity button (A, B, C) lights up as usual, but buttons assigned to those activities act as though they are not configured at all. I don't think I can even start over because the app doesn't let me create, open, or save activities (all grayed out). And even if I did go through the tedium of re-creating everything from scratch, do we have any reason to think we wouldn't just get hit with another sync error?

Nothing at all changed with the app/remote setup since the last time I was able to sync normally (a month or so?) aside from probably macOS updates. Can't rule out that might be involved but it would seem pretty strange.

Looking around the forum I haven't seen dev/support replies in a few weeks...I hope everything's OK with these guys and the project.

Edit: I now see recent replies from Jason etc....sorry for the misinfo. Hope they can chime in here on this.

Edited by monkeybrew

Thanks for the suggestion. Firmware updated successfully using that new version of SkipApp but the sync error remains.

Edit: Well, this just catapulted into bizarro world. The changes I made were just mapping the "Channel Up/Down" entries for my TV in two of my activities to the corresponding buttons on the remote (they were not mapped by default for some reason?). Trying to sync after that resulted in sync error. On a whim, I tried removing those entries and presto! sync was successful. Curious, I tried mapping just one at a time, and it actually synced each time successfully for 3 out of the 4 mappings, but barfed on the 4th one (Channel Up in my TV-AVR-Flirc activity). Removing that one allows a successful sync.

No idea...

FWIW I also had the random 'remote-died-until-I-reinserted-batteries' issue. Hopefully this new firmware fixed that at least!

Edited by monkeybrew

Just now, ytsejam1138 said:

Sorry to hear that. If you decide to setup the remote again, make sure you use the export feature in the app.  If there is a sync issue in the future you can just import your settings without having to start over. 

HOW? This gets to the crux of my problem. I did export my settings. But the app does not allow me to Import. The Open command is grayed out!

3 minutes ago, RGunther said:

HOW? This gets to the crux of my problem. I did export my settings. But the app does not allow me to Import. The Open command is grayed out!

I think you can import through the far upper right button - >Tools -> Import Remote Configuration.

Not sure if you missed that, but I did lol.