Flirc Forums

A Tale of Troubleshooting

Gold_Five

I'm creating this post in the hope that it may provide some assistance to another user or perhaps developers, depending on how much of my challenges are due to my own stubbornness to ask for help on a forum. We received the Skip1 several weeks ago and this has been my experience with configuring it for our Samsung TV and Apple TV.

- Connected remote according to instructions, except for the "test" step.
- All the programmed functions initially worked for the Samsung TV. When attempting to add the Apple TV to the same "Activity A", button functions became crossed up in the Apple TV interface. For example, any use of the back button would exit the Apple TV interface entirely rather than going back to a currently used app in Apple TV/merely to the Apple TV home-screen
- Following several attempts to manually program each button for each device, problems persisted. The same solution was also ineffective while using separate "A and B" activities for each device. B would not even switch to the associated device (Apple TV)
- After clearing remote entirely to start over, lost all functionality for any device I attempted to sync (even when following "test device" step).
- At this point, the Samsung TV universal remote began malfunctioning. The infrared receiver on Samsung TV was flashing erratically.
- Performed factory reset of Samsung TV (I couldn't navigate anywhere because there aren't any real cursor buttons on the TV), then removed batteries from Skip1 (the universal remote still would not work properly after performing a hard reset).
- After factory reset of the Samsung TV, set out to reprogram Skip1 with AAA batteries OUT. Added Samsung TV and Apple TV SEPARATELY using function A and B respectively. Eventually plugged AAA batteries back in and problems have subsided.
- Now that this remote is working properly, I am very happy. However, I probably spent 4–5 hours across a few days troubleshooting. It would be great if this experience I have had could either a) inform someone of the proper course of action from the beginning (which unfortunately is a factory reset, or being extra careful to always "test the device" before programming anything), or b) could be used to inform some eventual debugging process.

NOTE: the Apple TV and Samsung "learn remote" functions were totally useless during this process as well.

I’m guessing that the wrong device was being used for navigation. You might have added the Samsung which was controlling apple via CEC and that is not reliable. 

I’m skeptic the battery method did anything of value. Believe this was a coincidence. Battery presence has no effect on configuration continuity. Everything is CRCd so configs can not be invalid on the device or they won’t work. 

6 hours ago, jason said:

I’m guessing that the wrong device was being used for navigation. You might have added the Samsung which was controlling apple via CEC and that is not reliable. 

I’m skeptic the battery method did anything of value. Believe this was a coincidence. Battery presence has no effect on configuration continuity. Everything is CRCd so configs can not be invalid on the device or they won’t work. 

I did experience similar issues after the most recent reconfiguration but only with the "back" command which would power on the Apple inadvertently. I disabled AnyNet+ (CEC) and resolved the final lingering issue.