Flirc Forums

Weak IR? First thoughts...

Monty

I just got my Skip 1s remote and so far it is OK.

IR function seems to be weak I am having to use an IR blaster unless I am only 5 feet away from the device.

Pros:

• Nice looking remote.
  • Once you figure how to enter the button mapping things seem to go better.
  • Love the ability to custom buttons.
  • Works with IR Blaster to help with weak IR.
  • Work with Sonos.

Cons:

• Remote seems to randomly turn off, meaning it just stops working.  I know this because the LED on the IR blaster is not flashing.  I have to remove the batteries and hold the power button then re-insert the batteries to get to work again.
  • Weak IR.  The remote does not seem to work unless it is directly in front of the device.  Remote does not work well past 5 feet from the device.
  • Unable to list custom buttons for Roku example YouTube TV is not an option.
  • Took me a little while to find all the functions in the software but I found what I was looking for.
  • Not able to figure out how to switch activities without turning everything off then back on.
  • Unable to add custom apps for the Roku

Thoughts:

• Wish it had Wifi to control Roku.
  • Wish it would be smart enough to know to just switch inputs for different functions.  Example if I am watching TV and want to play the switch I have to turn all devices off then turn back on.  When I press B it should be smart enough to know A is active and just change inputs to the TV for the Switch.

Devices:

• Samsung TV
  • Roku 3
  • Sonos Playbar
  • Nintendo Switch
  • Sony Blueray player

The IR on the remote is pretty powerful.  I can use mine from 30 feet away with a IR repeater.
The IR repeater has a receiver that flashes and I can visually see it triggering when I am halfway across the house.
I guess it's possible you have a hardware issue.   One trick is to use a phone camera to see of the IR is bright when you push a button.

"Remote seems to randomly turn off, meaning it just stops working.  I know this because the LED on the IR blaster is not flashing.  I have to remove the batteries and hold the power button then re-insert the batteries to get to work again"

I have noticed this as well.  sometimes I have to push the buttons twice.  Hopefully it's not a hardware issue.

1 hour ago, TonyC said:

I have noticed this as well.  sometimes I have to push the buttons twice.  Hopefully it's not a hardware issue.

If you have to push the button twice to get it to work. I believe this is a result of the battery issue that is well documented in this forum. The first button press wakes the remote up and the second button press actually fires off the IR signal. This has been known to occur in as little as 24 hours after replacing the batteries.  The remote batteries will drain completely not long after this starts happening.  On average with my LEDs at 0% I'm getting anywhere from a few days to a couple of weeks before the batteries are completely drained.  Also, after testing the batteries, it seems that one drains faster than the other, but it still causes the remote to stop working. 

18 hours ago, ytsejam1138 said:

If you have to push the button twice to get it to work. I believe this is a result of the battery issue that is well documented in this forum. The first button press wakes the remote up and the second button press actually fires off the IR signal. This has been known to occur in as little as 24 hours after replacing the batteries.  The remote batteries will drain completely not long after this starts happening.  On average with my LEDs at 0% I'm getting anywhere from a few days to a couple of weeks before the batteries are completely drained.  Also, after testing the batteries, it seems that one drains faster than the other, but it still causes the remote to stop working. 

It only happens once in awhile, but still annoying.    I got my flirc in July and I just replaced the batteries a few days ago when I noticed this double button push thing.
Sometimes it won't come back on until I pull the batteries, but that seems to happen less than the double button press thing.