Flirc Forums

Pioneer Volume Control Slow

DDRRE

Hi,

I'm running the latest firmware from this forum (12) and the volume up/down buttons are extremely slow to activate. While the LG navigation buttons I used for the TV go into rapid-fire when holding them, and also react very quickly, this doesn't appear to work for the volume buttons I've set to control a Pioneer VSX/SC compatible receiver. The commands are sent once every second (and can take a long while after pressing the remote - this is another issue; the remote shouldn't be doing anything if no one is touching it).

I also hope that this won't affect my final use case when my preamp (Topping Pre90) gets supported, and I'd want to control both at the same time with fast response times. Rapid fire in this scenario will be a disaster due to different behaviors of the devices, but when it's a single command for each, hopefully both can be sent quickly, and repeated quickly once the button is pressed again.

Edited by DDRRE

It should be noted that this might be due a bad preset, and not necessarily a bug. Universal remotes tend to be gentle with volume control and send commands slowly.

To summarize, 2 changes need to be made:

1. Send the signal faster

2. Make sure that, under no circumstances, IR blasting is made by the remote when no physical input has been detected for >2 seconds

On 7/6/2023 at 6:43 AM, jason said:

I don't see any problem, I believe this is your receiver doing the limitation. Do you have the original remote?

Yes, I have the original remote. Actually, several versions of it. If I tap the volume buttons, the receiver responds immediately (even if I tap quickly).

And, of course, the remote doesn't "buffer" commands like the Skip - when I stop pressing, no commands are left in the queue.

What can be done to help here?

2 hours ago, jason said:

Unless you have a flirc usb to help record the original remote, I need the time to implement learning in the skip. 

I have a FLIRC USB and happy to use it. Reading through the forums I see that "irscrutinizer" should be used here. I'll see what I can do

Hi,

I recorded and created the JSON file, and have added it to the Skip GUI. Now testing

It should be noted that the app refers to the device type in the JSON, and not the filename as mentioned in one of the help threads. The device won't appear in Misc (which AFAIU has all devices). FYI

Topping-Pre90-AV.json Pioneer-VSAAX10-AV.json

Edited by DDRRE

Okay, testing done.

Now I understand that the issue is caused when using two devices under the same action; I'm not getting the laggy functionality when one device is used.

However, when I use both the Topping and Pioneer "Volume Up" buttons, it works, but with a large delay and with buffered output (sends signals for about ~20 seconds, every 4 seconds after clicking the volume button a few times).

On 7/14/2023 at 1:13 PM, DDRRE said:

Now I understand that the issue is caused when using two devices under the same action; I'm not getting the laggy functionality when one device is used.

Oh awesome, that would definitely be the cause. I'm going to fix this so we can have a delay that's next to 0ms but default to 1ms.

On 7/14/2023 at 1:13 PM, DDRRE said:

However, when I use both the Topping and Pioneer "Volume Up" buttons, it works, but with a large delay and with buffered output (sends signals for about ~20 seconds, every 4 seconds after clicking the volume button a few times).

I'm not sure I follow this, can you elaborate?

3 hours ago, jason said:

Oh awesome, that would definitely be the cause. I'm going to fix this so we can have a delay that's next to 0ms but default to 1ms.

I'm not sure I follow this, can you elaborate?

Sure.

I'm trying to simultaneously control volume on two devices, that both raise or lower the volume by 0.5dB iterations, which means they require the same amount of commands, making it a fairly simple scenario.

However, when configuring "Volume Up", for example, on the Skip app with two actions (both of my recording and previously attached), the remote will execute the actions in a weird way. Clicking the button several times (say 5) will not send, but queue 10 commands, and due to an unexplained lag, they are not sent immediately but with a delay of several seconds (not milliseconds). In other words, you can place the remote on the table and commands will be sent for quite some time later. You can look at the receiver and see the volume go up every 5 seconds "out of nowhere".

I think this is likely to reproduce on any device. Unfortunatley the FLIRC IR debugger is not realtime enough to expose this.

Edited by DDRRE

15 hours ago, DDRRE said:

Sure.

I'm trying to simultaneously control volume on two devices, that both raise or lower the volume by 0.5dB iterations, which means they require the same amount of commands, making it a fairly simple scenario.

However, when configuring "Volume Up", for example, on the Skip app with two actions (both of my recording and previously attached), the remote will execute the actions in a weird way. Clicking the button several times (say 5) will not send, but queue 10 commands, and due to an unexplained lag, they are not sent immediately but with a delay of several seconds (not milliseconds). In other words, you can place the remote on the table and commands will be sent for quite some time later. You can look at the receiver and see the volume go up every 5 seconds "out of nowhere".

I think this is likely to reproduce on any device. Unfortunatley the FLIRC IR debugger is not realtime enough to expose this.

Can you save your remote configuraiton and post that?

• 2 weeks later...