Flirc Forums

New Flirc User - XBMC Harmony

samuk

Hi,

Got my Flirc Yesterday – Really pleased with the speedy delivery!

Have been reading but still little unclear so hoping someone can point me in the right directions to get my remote working efficiency. 

Apologies in advance for all the questions.. 

My setup is as follows:

• Harmony One Remote
  • Acer Revo running Windows 7
  • XBMC Frodo 12
  • Samsung TV
  • Onkyo Amp

Harmony Software:

• New Device added: Panasonic TC-P65VT30 
  • All buttons assigned to a function
  • Remote updated

Flirc Software

• XBMC Keyboard selected
  • New keys learned see exceptions below

Any suggestions what i should be assigning 1,2 & 3 as marked out.

4: I assigned to Exit (I find pressing this goes back to the main screen, this is ok)

5: Assigned to back arrow (I find pressing this takes me back to the main menu, and not one level back)

flirc_zpsa8963feb.jpg

Also

1: I found the remote to be very Laggy, I found this, hoping it will work - will try this evening. Any thoughts? 

Harmony Configuration to reduce lag:

• Power on delay: 8000
  • Inter-key delay: 0
  • Input delay: 500
  • Inter-device delay: 500

2: I have been reading this: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=95063&pid=732922#pid732922

not sure how this will help me? or can it with my setup with the XBMC controller?

3: How can i start & close XBMC?

4: Should i be looking to do more that will make my flirc experience better and easier? 

Looking forward to some advise.. :-)

• Like 2

Hi Samuk

In answer to your questions:

1: I found the remote to be very Laggy, I found this, hoping it will work - will try this evening. Any thoughts?

This should help:

2: I have been reading this: http://forum.xbmc.or...32922#pid732922

not sure how this will help me? or can it with my setup with the XBMC controller?

As you've found the XBMC controller preset in the Flirc GUI contains a few errors, some lesser used functions are not present (to simplify it for the user). Using the Keyboard preset in Flirc gui you can match up the command you want from the xbmc keyboard wiki (http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Keyboard) with the button on your remote.

For example

Exit button on your remote - map to "Esc"

Back button on your remote - map to "backspace"

Any suggestions what i should be assigning 1,2 & 3 as marked out.

4: I assigned to Exit (I find pressing this goes back to the main screen, this is ok)

5: Assigned to back arrow (I find pressing this takes me back to the main menu, and not one level back)

using the xbmc keyboard wiki shoudl help with this. We (Jason) will be addressing the erronous commands in the next revision of Flirc GUI - sorry about that.

3: How can i start & close XBMC?

To close xbmc map a keyboard button to ALT+f4 (like you would close any other app on windows). Or try this way:

To start XBMC:

Should i be looking to do more that will make my flirc experience better and easier?

Try doing the above stuff first, see if that helps your set-up. Let us know and ask more questions if you think of any :)

Remember you should be able to do anything you can do on a keyboard with Flirc.

Happy flirc-ing :)

Thanks Chris,

Above makes sense..

i need use the Keyboard in Flirc to setup my remote. 

I will have to use the power button the remote for power up (Windows Key +1) and i will have to assign a different button on the remote to ALT + F4 to close the application.

Can i program letters, ont he remote via the keyboard programmer? 

a on the keyboard to single click button a on the remote i think this is number 1  (abc)

b on the keyboard to 2 clicks on the remote number 1  (abc)

and so on..?

Thanks again - i am excited about getting home! 

Last few questions:

1. Is there a way i can delete or format the harmony programming completely (within Flirc Software) - i had programmed the buttons for the XBMC controller yesterday?  I will be re-programming with the Keyboard this evening. 
  2. Can i have a Apple remote and harmony on one Flirc Device both controlling the same XBMC?

Sam

1. To clear all settings in Flirc go to file menu, then "clear configuration"

2. You could, are you wanting to use the apple TV remote for different functions than your harmony (I.e. do you want there to be overlap between the two remotes on the Flirc keyboard?)

Let us know how it goes

1. To clear all settings in Flirc go to file menu, then "clear configuration"

2. You could, are you wanting to use the apple TV remote for different functions than your harmony (I.e. do you want there to be overlap between the two remotes on the Flirc keyboard?)

Let us know how it goes

new keys learnt, but the harmony not responding in windows or xbmc...

it did work once - but i made a mistake,so  cleared it and tried again...and remote not working this time around..

after pairing the keys do i need to save the configuration?

After reboot of pc it worked..

Hi Samuk

In answer to your questions:

This should help:

Hi Chris,

More of an update - i changed the value to 0 as per link - this did stop the running away of the cursor.. but i am still finding the scrolling little slow..but its accurate, just slow..

Doing this as well speeded up the scrolling..  :-)

Power on delay: 8000

Inter-key delay: 0

Input delay: 500

Inter-device delay: 500

Chris,

Been at it for 3 hours! going to bed now..still made a fair bit of progress..

2 sticking point for me..

1: Is there any info or guide on how i can setup an activity on the Harmony? i have go it working, but had to re-assign the buttons again for the activity?

2: every thing seems to be ok, but when i go to movies and have to search (enter a search string) i cant use the arrow to move to the letters to type them in...same for like Vevo (cant seem to move the cursor to the letters)

Letters and numbers listed - you can scroll over what you want to type and click ok...(not working) 

the arrow keys work fine otherwise..

Sam

2. In XBMC settings Somewhere in input settings there should be an option you need to activate "remote sends keyboard presses"

I'll have a look about activities in harmony remotes, I only have a cheap harmony so doesn't have this.

(I should point out for others who read this thread that activities need to be set up in harmony software and are completely separate from Flirc - harmony software isn't that easy to use)

Right, 

2. In XBMC settings Somewhere in input settings there should be an option you need to activate "remote sends keyboard presses"

I'll have a look about activities in harmony remotes, I only have a cheap harmony so doesn't have this.

(I should point out for others who read this thread that activities need to be set up in harmony software and are completely separate from Flirc - harmony software isn't that easy to use)

yep, that did the trick..

i am still finding it little sluggish to use the harmony - that's comparing it to the apple remote with apple tv 2 \ xbmc

not to worry about activities - think i have got it to work - required some work but seems ok..

thanks again

d

I was thinking of having the apple remote to use as sometimes its little easier to use then the harmony,, specially for the kids..

so the apple will perform simple functions - 

Is it possible to program this to flirc \ Harmony?

[numbers] thenReturn   Jump to that
time in playback. E.g,, 1234+return will jump to 12 minutes and 34 seconds.

⇧ Shift+LETTER Jump to that
letter in a list    

Also there is no printsrc on the full keyboard - any thoughts if i can get this mapped to the harmony? 

d

I was thinking of having the apple remote to use as sometimes its little easier to use then the harmony,, specially for the kids..

so the apple will perform simple functions - 

If you're using the appletv remote with Flirc it will still send keyboard presses (as it is using flirc)

i am using the odroid-u2 running android ICS with xbmc latest nightly on it. i have been using a bluetooth keyboard and mouse to use it and was hoping the flirc would allow me to just use my harmony 300.

i almost have it all set up correctly, except....  in xbmc on the android, for some reason, the esc button does not go 'back' or 'home'. i actually went through the entire keyboard and none of the normal keys does that function.... except for one key.... a back arrow.. located above my number keypad. im using the logitech k520 keyboard shown here. what is this key? and is there a way to figure out what its sending to my device so i can somehow map it? i have tried everything else and considering its an important function in xbmc, i need to figure it out. thanks!

Update:  

Been afew days now, and i must say i am really happy with the way the Flirc Works -

I even got my activities to work on the remote. This switches on the Amp and TV on the correct inputs & shutdown...

I found i have to manually start and exist flirc using the additional buttons i configured on the Harmony...

The PC stays on all the time.. 

Still cant believe how easy it it..