Flirc Forums

Flirc + RaspBMC. 2 Quick questions.

Tokubetsu

Quick question before I buy.

I saw one unreplied post relating to Flirc not responding after a film starts on RaspBMC. Is this the norm, or does Flirc work fine at the start/middle and after a film is watched on RaspBMC?

If it is of any help:

As an example, I am using a slightly overclocked 512mb Raspberry Pi, v12 Frodo RaspBMC, with GPU memory increased to allow of the playing of 10gig 1080p MKV files with subs.

(I am not asking if it will work in this specific example, but in general when playing avi/mkv rather than just using the online steaming elements of RaspBMC)

The other question, which I have seen answered in other threads, but will ask just to make sure:

Flirc doesn't need external USB power does it?

(I have been using a wired XBox 360 pad on it of late and that requires an externally power USB hub.)

Thanks!

Hi Tokubetsu, welcome to the forums,

I saw one unreplied post relating to Flirc not responding after a film starts on RaspBMC. Is this the norm, or does Flirc work fine at the start/middle and after a film is watched on RaspBMC?

Should work the whole time. Quick way to check for any problems would be to use a regular USB keyboard and see if that has issues (as 99% of the time Flirc is for all intents and purposes a USB keyboard)

The other question, which I have seen answered in other threads, but will ask just to make sure:

Flirc doesn't need external USB power does it?

Nope, but it will draw power from the Raspberry pi so make sure you have a good power supply as we've being seeing issues related to not enough power. See this thread for a good example of this:

I've been mulling about how best to collect information and tips about/from raspberry pi devices/users on getting the most out of Flirc. (I don't own a raspberry Pi of my own). I've been busy at the moment but I will figure something out at some point. If you get a Flirc perhaps you would be interested in helping?

Don't hesitate asking anymore questions :)

Currently using an Apple iPhone charger.

Thanks for the answers!

Oh, in regards to External USB power:

It doesn't matter what USB power source you use with the Raspberry Pi, it's own USB ports still can't power things like the XBox360 pad. Which is why you have to connect an independently powered USB hub which is up to the job if you want to use something like that.

Oh, in regards to External USB power:

It doesn't matter what USB power source you use with the Raspberry Pi, it's own USB ports still can't power things like the XBox360 pad. Which is why you have to connect an independently powered USB hub which is up to the job if you want to use something like that.

Ah yes, my brother has a PS3 and we had similar problems with certain USB ports. My Macbook Pro also is pretty rubbish for charging anything (I think it just happen to me the version I have).

I think the thread I linked to the use was using a phone charger and it wasn't cutting it when the Flirc was introduced to the system though of course different chargers output different amounts of current

The power source can be the issue, but it is mainly the Raspberry Pi causing the issue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi

Originally the on-board USB ports were designed for USB devices using one "unit load" (100 mA) of current. Devices using more than 100 mA were incompatible with the Raspberry Pi, and for them a self-powered USB hub was required. However, due to user feedback, the RPF, at the end of August 2012, decided to remove the USB polyfuses which largely caused this behaviour. However, the maximum current that can be delivered to a USB port on these modified boards is still limited by the capabilities of the power supply used, and the 1.1 A main polyfuse. Also a disadvantage of the current way the modification is done is that its no longer possible to hot-plug USB devices directly into the PI, when hotplugging is necessary it can be done in a hub.

Mine should be the modified one, since I bought it this year. I am guessing that Flirc uses less than 1.1A?