Flirc Forums

Sensor sensitivity diagram

Segfault

Digital things just seem to work, or not. However, getting clear signal is still important, weak signal can cause erroneous reception. Thus, my question is what does the sensitivity diagram look like? In other words, how to position the sensor to get the best signal from remote?

Well, obviously IR signal can't go through metal, so if you have the 2nd gen, then it can only receive within some angle on the opposite side from the USB plug. But IR is still in a light spectrum and a lot of surfaces (like walls) reflect it pretty well. So even though the 2nd gen Flirc can "see" the signal only from one side, you still get pretty good reception from multiple directions.

Because of the light reflection property of IR it's hard to create a diagram like for RF antennas, where the signal is not reflected by non-metalic surfaces.

Just as an example, my Flirc is behind my TV, which hangs on the wall. There's no line of sight at all from the couch point of view, but it works great. Of course it'll depend on many things like wall surface type, ambient IR pollution, power of the IR blaster in the remote, distance.

Thanks. Let me refine my question. I currently have an Intel NUC mounted on the wall next to the TV set. Flirc is plugged in and "looking down". Could I benefit from one of those 90 degrees USB adapters? Then the dongle would face the remote. Isn't it always better to have more straight signal and less reflected signal?

Do you have reception issues? If not then I wouldn't bother.

Mine is pointed towards the wall and, like I've said before, out of line of sight. If yours is next to the TV, does it mean that it is in line of sight? If yes then I think it should be ok.