Flirc Forums

Full Keyboard on Kodi with Harmony Ultimate One

async

Hello! What's the manufacturer/device used to get the full keyboard profile on a harmony ultimate  remote? I've done Flirc/Kodi, but that aligns to the Kodi profile (that doesn't seem to work with play/pause). I've tried various forms of Flirc/Keyboard etc. Thanks.

Edited by async

There's no full keyboard profile for the Harmony remotes. If you need to use specific keyboard key or key combination you need to install Flirc software on your PC or Mac and use it to program your Flirc. Programming involves two steps. First step is to select a key (or key combination with ctrl/alt/shift etc) in the GUI. The second step is to press a remote button on the remote when you're asked to by the program. This operation associates the remote button you've pressed to the key combination you've selected in the first step.

As for the manufacturer/device on your Harmony, you can select almost anything. Some combinations work better than others. For example, I'm successfully using some Samsung TV profile with my Flirc, but LG or Panasonic should also work well. You can play around and test which one works best for you. Just select a profile for a hardware you don't actually have (for example, if you have an LG TV then don't use LG TV profile for Flirc).

Thank you for the response. I have the app and am aware of the recording method, but how do I get the flirc to actually record a keyboard press? For instance, the play/pause isn't working on the Kodi profile. I'd like to re-record it with the keyboard press of "p", but I have no existing remote that will send a "p" IR signal? It'd be awesome if i could just click the record button and then press the letter "p" on my PC's keyboard!

Suggestions?

I think you've misunderstood how does the Flirc work. It doesn't need a "p" IR signal. Besides the few built-in profiles which are predefined for a quick start with Kodi or FireTV, Flirc doesn't make any assumptions regarding the IR signals. It doesn't care if you're using Harmony, some other universal remote or some dedicated remote for some device. It's up to you to teach it what it has to do with the IR signals sent by your remote.

So, for example, if you want Flirc to "press" the letter "p", then you need to launch the Flirc software, go to Controllers menu and select Full keyboard. Then on the keyboard in the GUI, you press the key with P. It should start blinking and you should see a prompt at the bottom to press a button on the remote. So press the button on the remote you want to be associated with letter P. It (mostly) doesn't matter which device profile you configured on the remote. As long as you use the same after recording it should work. You don't press anything on your physical keyboard connected to the PC.

The other issue is the fact, that the Flirc/Kodi profile doesn't fully work for you. Is it only a problem with Play/Pause? Do other keys work? Or maybe it doesn't work at all? Do you run Kodi on your PC or some Android box with USB port?

You're right. My understanding was exactly the opposite as your clarification, so that should help a lot. :)

To your other question. Yes, the Play/Pause do nothing. Everything else in the Kodi profile seems to work fine. To test it, I opened a text editor in linux and then started sending remote signals. Stop recorded an "x", Subtitles a "t", Watched a "w" etc. Play/Pause both do nothing.

Kodi is running on an Intel NUC w/ Ubuntu loaded (i have 3 of them in the house w/ three Flircs).

Appreciate the help.

I'm not 100% sure but I think that the default play button for the built-in Kodi profile uses multimedia Play key, not the P key. That's why you don't see it. You can safely reprogram it to use the P key instead. Set up your Harmony to use the Flirc/Kodi profile and then open up the Flirc GUI, go to the Full keyboard controller and click on the P in the app. When asked, press the Play/Pause button on your remote. The logic is that the user configuration overwrites the built-in profiles, so you can reassign single or multiple buttons from the provided Flirc/* profiles.