Flirc Forums

First Time Power on Issues

Garry74

Hi, 

New to the forum. I've just purchased a flirc se and set it up. I am having an issue using it to power on my HTPC. If I try using the remote to power on my HTPC for the first time after switching on the mains power, the HTPC does not power on. However if I power on the HTPC manually then shut it down, I can then use the remote to power on the HTPC. I assume this has something to with s4 and s5 states? I'm using an asus H8il-plus motherboard. I have a sneaky suspicion that the usb port I'm using on the motherboard may not be powered on from a cold start. I have enabled usb 3.0 charging in the bios, I thought I may have got away with using one of the internal 2.0 usb ports,  but maybe not. I may have to cannibalise one of the usb 3.0 cables feeding the usb ports on the front of the case. 

Thought I would ask for help before getting the soldering iron out. 

Hi,

Flirc can't turn on the PC from S5. I think it really shouldn't be able to turn on even after software shutdown - this should be only in sleep (suspend) or hibernation.

There's also a Flirc-SE (Streacom Edition) model, which you embed in a PC case. It has extra pin headers for cables that connect to power button and motherboard front panel connector. It can turn on the PC from any state as long as it gets 5v (normally from USB but it doesn't need to be, it can be connected to a 5VSB rail from PSU, which is always on (but this requires some manual work to make connections).

Hi,

Flirc can't turn on the PC from S5. I think it really shouldn't be able to turn on even after software shutdown - this should be only in sleep (suspend) or hibernation.

There's also a Flirc-SE (Streacom Edition) model, which you embed in a PC case. It has extra pin headers for cables that connect to power button and motherboard front panel connector. It can turn on the PC from any state as long as it gets 5v (normally from USB but it doesn't need to be, it can be connected to a 5VSB rail from PSU, which is always on (but this requires some manual work to make connections).

Sorry, I have the Streacom Edition. So It looks like I'm not getting 5V. I don't have a problem doing a bit of soldering to get 5V and ground from a molex. I assume I will still have to connect the data + and - of the usb to the motherboard usb? Just the supply comes from elsewhere.

Yes. The data lines still must be connected to USB header.

http://www.smpspowersupply.com/connector_atx_pinout.GIF

The one you want is named +5VSB (violet one) and it is always powered because it is used by the motherboard's power button operation (SB means Stand By). You can leave the ground connection on the USB header as ground is always the same.

Also there's sometimes a jumper or microswitch on the board that can switch the source of 5V on the USB ports from +5V rail to +5VSB.

• Like 1