Flirc Forums

Extra key presses with 3.6

alankeny

I've been using a couple of flircs with some Tivo Glo remotes for a long time.  The keys have never repeated when I held them down, so I got used to pushing buttons on the remote multiple times.  On firmware 3.5 and earlier, if I pressed the same button on the Glo remote too fast, the flirc would register several extra key presses very quickly.

After upgrading to firmware version 3.6, almost every single key press on the Glo remote registers extra key presses.  If I press left once, I'll get between one and four left key presses.  It happens on all of the keys I've configured.

I've always programmed the flirc by pointing the remote at the ceiling rather than directly at it.  I've tried every inter-key value from 0 to 6 with the 3.6 firmware, but I still get the extra key presses.

Once I figured out what was going on, I stopped upgrading the firmware.  As long as I stay on 3.5, the Glo remotes work OK.  I saved the configuration from a flirc running 3.5, and loaded it into another one running 3.6, but 3.6 still generates the extra key presses.

How can I downgrade the firmware from version 3.6 to 3.5?

Is there anything else I should try to keep the keys from repeating?

Ignore all this, it was EventGhost getting out of control - my error!

-----------------------

Ditto here with a HP TSGH-IR07 remote on Windows 8.1 Pro with a flirc SE.  I upgraded from 1.3.4 to 1.3.6 (going up from v2 to v3 firmware) and while now the skip and menu keys work with WMC (yay, thanks!!) I'm getting the double key presses nearly all the time.  Setting the interkey delay doesn't seem to do much, but adding in the noise cancellation helps a bit.

If I press the buttons *very* carefully I can manage a single key press, but obviously this is not ideal.

All help gratefully received - very happy to test betas and try things out.

Edited by rockgatherer97

• 2 months later...

Well now I really need help with this.  I was adjusting some settings on the FLIRC I use with my main TV, when the software asked me about upgrading to 3.6.  I said no, but when I started the FLIRC app on my Mac a second time, it upgraded the firmware to 3.6 without asking.  The problems I reported in the first post, before rockgatherer97 hijacked the thread, are still happening.  Every key on the remote registers extra key presses, so the FLIRC is now unusable.

How can I force the firmware back to version 3.5?

• 2 weeks later...

At this point I'm probably just talking to myself, but I thought I'd post this because the only solution I found required a firmware downgrade.  I found working downgrade steps on page 2 of the thread.

My problem with extra key presses seems to be specific to the combination of a Tivo Glo remote and an Amazon Fire TV.  Using this remote with the FLIRC connected directly to the USB port on the Fire TV only worked after I downgraded to firmware 2.6.  I thought it was working before with version 3.5, but using any of the 3.X releases resulted in the same extra key presses.  After I downgraded to 2.6, I couldn't use the Fire TV remote in the GUI any more, so I had to program the FLIRC to send the corresponding keyboard combinations I found in the KODI wiki.

The 3.6 version of the firmware worked OK as long as I swapped out the Glo remote or the Fire TV.  Harmony + Fire TV = OK.  Glo Remote + MacBook Pro = OK.  Glo Remote + Fire TV = extra key presses and other random weirdness until I downgraded to version 2.6.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a Flirc today that have firmware 3.6 and i can only add one key and then it starts to get stuck and the key repeat it self in an endless loop. I have tried to change Inter-Key delay but it doesn't make it work better. I believe i have to get back to the store and get my money back. What a useless crap this was...

• 1 month later...

I am having the same issue with both my FLIRC and Amazon Fire TV pairings.  Upgraded to 3.6 and now I'm getting double key presses.  Super annoying to the point where it's not usable anymore.  I'll try downgrading as well and see if that helps.

Update: Downgrading to 2.6 eliminates the double presses.  Sucks because some apps don't seem to respond to my remote after programming the "enter" and "return" buttons on the full keyboard layout.  Not sure why.  It did when I used the 3.6, Amazon Fire TV GUI, but the double key press isn't worth this...

Edited by Rushingjs

• 1 month later...