Flirc Forums

Supporting identical remotes

JohnJohnD

I'm using FLIRC to replace the lack of an IR receiver on the new MacBook Pros.

I'd like to see an option to program the FLIRC to ignore the Apple Remote "Remote ID", which distinguishes different physical (but otherwise identical) remotes.  In other words, I'd like to be able to use any Apple Remote, rather than the particular one that I programmed it with (and not have to program each individual remote).

Thanks!

I don't know how hard it would be for Jason to implement this, but you need to remember that Flirc is a generic receiver that accepts almost any modulated IR signal, so I don't know if it is possible to just do an exception for a particular type of remote. Flirc basically takes the signal it receives and compresses it to a 4-byte irreversible hash. It would need to recognize the signal as an Apple Remote one and treat it differently. Anyway Jason is the only person that can tell if this is possible or not.

On the other hand, unless you either have tens of those remotes or you frequently change the button mappings I don't see a problem of recording them all. How many buttons does it have? I think it's around 6 or 7. Flirc has a capacity of something about 170 keys so it is possible to record around 24 of those remotes.