Flirc Forums

New to the Skip

DK32207

I have to admit I'm new to this forum, so please forgive me if my question has been answered.

I have very much been looking forward to getting my Skip remote.  Like many, I'm caught using a Harmony and fearful that eventually my luck will run out on these no longer supported remotes.  I have two locations where I am using a Harmony, though one of them the Harmony is very finicky and basically fails most of the time, anyway.  That's where I have started with my Skip remote, and it is a very basic setup.

Essentially, a  Samsung TV, a TiVo, a Roku, and a Vizio soundbar.  What would I like:  Use Button A to turn the TV on to the Tivo (HDMI 1).  Use Button B to get the TV to turn on to the Roku (HDMI 2).  Then use the remote to navigate either the TiVo or the Roku, depending on which is in use.

My problem:  it is basically setup to work, when the remote is connected to my computer (Mac OS X) and using the "Test Actions" buttons.  But if I try using the remote, either when connected via the USB cable or disconnected entirely, I get absolutely nothing.  I assume the batteries are fresh (lights turn on when the computer is talking to the remote, and they are the new Duracells that shipped with the unit and just opened a week ago).

What am I doing wrong?

Second question:  how do I get the remote to just change inputs, like from HDMI 1 (TiVo) to HDMI 2 (Roku) without going through a Power Down and then Power back up cycle?

I'm guessing more to follow, but these are my basic starter questions.

Hi DK32207,

I have a similar set up.  tv, cable, roku and a sound bar.

Activity A - watch cable

Activity B - watch roku

Activity C - device buttons

Activity A: watch cable

power on is set to turn on the TV, set the correct hdmi input, turn on cable box, power toggle the sound bar.

power off is set to turn the tv off, tun cable box off, power toggle the sound bar

the vilume buttons control teh sound bar and the rest control the cable box

Activity B: watch roku

power on is programmed to change the tv hdmi.  I do not alter the sound bar input as all sound comes from the tv, but you could add it here as well

power off is programmed to change the tv hdmi back to watch cable.

volume buttons control the sound bar and th rest control the roku

Since I do have some issues with the tv, I programmed buttons to help when the hdmi doesnt get set right or the power doesnt turn on.

for activity C, Power up does the same thing as activity A power up

Rewind is set to power on the TV

Play powers on the cable box,

fast forward power toggles the sound bar

1 sets the tv to hdmi 1

2 sets the tv to hdmi 2

I could have used the secondary activity buttons in activity A and/or B, but I found it easier to use activity c.

I always power everything on and off from watching cable because my Sony TV is peculiar and it works better for me.  I have found this remote to work better than my Harmony at this point.  Programming is very similiar, just a different UI.