Flirc Forums

Skip App with Skip 1s and mapping keyboard keys to remote

Tankonor
Go to solution Solved by Dragonfly,

I have the Skip 1s with Flirc USB, with Activity A set up as the Flirc Kodi device.

Most of the functions are working properly, but I would like to also add some custom keyboard key presses to certain buttons on the remote.

It was mentioned on a post from last year that:
"Presumably, every Flirc profile on the Skip App will include all 104/5 keys in the button list. We just won't use most of them in the default setup"

Although it seems that this statement didn't turn out to be true, at least for the Kodi device.

How do I add a full keyboard mapping to my activity so that I can drag some keyboard keypresses over to the remote buttons?

• Map the basic buttons with Flirc Kodi profile in the Skip 1s Software.
    Assign empty (not assigned) buttons with a random functions (otherwise buttons won't be recognized by the Flirc software) and sync the remote.
  • Open the Flirc software, choose controllers -> Full Keyboard
    Map the remaining buttons with a keystroke you'll want (single, longpress or macro possible)
  • Done!

Notice that the Flirc programmed keys won't be visible in the Skip software and beware of some serious pitfalls! See:

Also have a look at the attached Excel file, might be helpful. Also download a small utility called ShowOff to see/test which keyboard commands are send

• Solution

To program the Flirc USB dongle you'll need this (at the bottom)

image.png.e2c7d9a8783b7fab3317e5bb298ca4bd.png

The Skip 1s remote sends IR signals, be it straight to a IR receiving device (TV) or to the Flirc Dongle (which is also an IR receiver). The dongle translates this signal to a HID command. The can be a keystroke. So anything you can't do with the Skip 1s software (at the moment), you can program with the Flirc software, like long press or keyboard commands. After programming you'll need to insert the dongle into the device you're running Kodi on.

Granted, it's confusing. The Flirc dongle has built-in profiles. That why you can choose 'Flirc Kodi device' in the Skip 1s software. But not all profiles are build-in.  You'll need the Flirc software to program key presses (as shown in he picture). The Flirc Software also has a Kodi profile, but it's not the same as the profile in the Skip 1s software and you'll not see changes made in Flirc in Skip and vice-versa.

To recap:

• You can use only the Skip1s software to program the remote, but options are limited.
  • You can use only the Flirc software to program the remote for keystrokes etc. but you can't program devices like a TV.
  • You can use both Skip and Flirc to achieve your goals, but is has a steeper learning curve, various pitfalls and several inconsistencies between the software.

Would be nice to have a Full Keyboard profile as a Flirc device in the Skip 1s software. You wouldn't need the Flirc software, but the programmers need to iron out all its current quirks first. That however, is a long list for another topic post