Flirc Forums

First impression and button assigning shield TV issues

heula

After a long period of waiting, my Skip S1 remote arrived last week. I had two destinations in mind for the remote, my living room or my son's room. It has become the last option because I have a number of devices behind a wall in my living room and there are currently no facilities to get it working. My Harmony companion handles that better for now.

So I programmed the remote for my son and used the 3 options A, B and C for Emby, Kodi and general buttons.

With all three options I added the necessary devices and what struck me and was immediately disappointing was that the Nvidia Shield TV is in the database but does not work immediately in combination with a Flirc USB that I already owned. So I first had to program all the buttons via the Flirc USB software. I thought that was special because the buttons of the TV just worked without having to program them first.

Everything went well so far, but then I started programming the different Shield TV buttons for both Emby and Kodi. That became an annoyance because I found out that if I program the buttons for the Shield TV for button A via the Flirc USB software they are also programmed for buttons B and C. Since Emby and Kodi both use different codes etc. I had so wanting to program different buttons with different options associated with the Shield TV. That works fine with the Harmony software, but not with this Skip S1 in combination with Flirc USB.

So I have now added devices under every button (A, B and C) that I don't have and programmed everything with them via Flirc USB. That works fine now, but I didn't expect this.

I think this is a downside to the remote or associated software. I did get it working the way I wanted but the logic behind it doesn't make sense at all.

Is it true that a Shield TV button that is mapped to something below button A cannot be mapped to anything else below buttons B and C as I stated above?

And why is the Shield TV not immediately ready for use and does it have to be programmed via Flirc USB first?

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...