Flirc Forums

Skip with Nvidia Shield

billtenbroeck

I just received my Skip, and I'm trying to get it to work with my Shield. My Shield edition doesn't have an I/R sensor (I didn't know this before), so I also purchased a Flirc USB. I originally tried to set the USB to use the Shield pre-configuration, but when I did, it ended up sending spurious signals to the Shield. I re-tried it numerous times, and finally reverted the USB back to the Minimalist configuration. That seemed to solve the spurious signals. But now when I try to use the Skip to control the Sheild, nothing happens. I've assigned the various cursor keys to the controls on the Skip via the Skip app, but they don't seem to do anything.

I have my TV and my Denon receiver configured as well, and they work just fine. Is there some particular method to set the USB and the Skip to work together? When you use them together, do you actually assign the keys in the Flirc app, as well as assigning them in Skip? Would I be better served by purchasing a generic I/R receiver for the Shield?

I've attached my Skip configuration. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

Flirc.skip

I reset everything, and I'm down to one issue it appears before I can start using/testing things. For some reason, there is a random signal being sent either from the Flirc USB or the Skip, which is causing problems. It doesn't seem to have any specific frequency of occurrence, but happens every 30 to 60 seconds. So for instance, when I am in Youtube, I'll be watching a video, and the full-screen will collapse back to the normal screen.

Or, in the Shield home page, I can cursor down a few rows, and it will randomly scroll back up a row. I'll look to see what logging options there might be, but this behavior seems to be fairly consistent - but at no specific interval.

Thanks for any feedback or suggestions.

I downloaded the latest Flirc USB software last evening, re-setup my Skip remote, and now the spurious signal has been resolved.

My only remaining issue is the intermittent freezing of the remote. For instance you want to go from one app on the Shield desktop to another on the other side of the screen. It will often be like left-cursor, left-cursor, left-cursor, freeze. And you then have to wait a few seconds for it to unfreeze.

At the moment, I'm inclined to think the above is likely due to some non-optimized code during the beta period. And for now I'll keep loading the most recent betas as they are released to see if this behavior changes. When it does, I think we'll have a very good product indeed.

Also using Skips 1s and Flirc USB to control my Nvidia Shield (2015) (see this topic). This has a IR receiver but I've inserted the Flirc USB

I don't experience any 'freezing' or other erratic behavior.

After several failed attempts, I totally cleared both the Skip and the Flirc. Started with Skip 1s software with Flirc as main controlling device (kodi profile), added the Nvidia Shield as second device. Used most of the Kodi default mappings, but assigned two from the Nvidia Shield: Back and Select. These work platform wide, the Kodi equivalent do not. Fine tuned the rest using the Flirc USB software (long press etc.)

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/9/2023 at 2:18 PM, Dragonfly said:

Also using Skips 1s and Flirc USB to control my Nvidia Shield (2015) (see this topic). This has a IR receiver but I've inserted the Flirc USB

I don't experience any 'freezing' or other erratic behavior.

After several failed attempts, I totally cleared both the Skip and the Flirc. Started with Skip 1s software with Flirc as main controlling device (kodi profile), added the Nvidia Shield as second device. Used most of the Kodi default mappings, but assigned two from the Nvidia Shield: Back and Select. These work platform wide, the Kodi equivalent do not. Fine tuned the rest using the Flirc USB software (long press etc.)

Any chance you'd be willing to share your Flirc USB and Skip config files? It sounds like you have them dialed about exactly how I want mine...hah.

I certainly would, but it's of no use to you. It can act as an example, but once you add your own devices, all those button mappings are lost and are in their default state. See here

I've attached the config files, but in order to re-evaluate at some time, you'll nee to keep track of your config in some other way. For reference, I've made a document to see what was done in the past with both the Skip 1s and the Flirc software.

It's a work in progress. I intend to use more double and long press actions for buttons. At this moment, this can only be done via the Flirc software and may eventually become available in the Skips 1s software. Then, and if they would include a full Keyboard profile, the Flirc software would become redundant.

Keep in mind that I primarily use Kodi on the Shield, so this is what this config is focused on, but it works fine in Android TV.

Shield Skip+Flirc_Buttons.docx Shield+Flirc.skip Shield_config.fcfg

Edited by Dragonfly
Adjustments in config for compatiblity reasons

I'm also using with a shield, and have an almost identical setup to the way you are using it. 

I noticed that it was freezing up regularly using the back button, but that just popped up over the last few days. I barely use my Skip, sadly, because it's just not that good (I have another remote I use with my FLIRC USB and it works flawlessly, without needing complete line of site.... the Skip needs to be pointed "just right" in order to work. So I thought it might be batteries, replaced those, still having the issue. Finally, I synced today and upgraded the firmware to the latest, and that does seem to have fixed it, but it still doesn't make sense how the freezing was not an issue until recently. 

I also noticed that the select button (using the Shield profile for it) doesn't work on the on screen keyboards in native Android TV applications. Not a huge issue, because I always have my phone I can use to send text, but it is a little annoying. I suspect that is an android issue, not a Skip/Flirc issue.