Flirc Forums

Documenting my set up on Mint Linux

thedanyes

I'm happy with the Flirc so far, but I found the initial set up a bit un-intuitive - so I thought I would document how I got this running on Mint Linux.

Ultimately, I want to record all the codes from the huge remote that came with my screen, mount the Flirc near the IR receiver of the screen on a USB extension cable, and then use my PC as the primary control for the screen (transmitting IR via the Flirc dongle with scripts). At that point, I can put the remote in a drawer somewhere, so it's not cluttering up my space. I'm not quite there yet, but I think it's just a matter of learning how to decode the recorded codes and how to feed them to`sendir`.

My process
Using the commands below, I downloaded the binaries and loaded the libraries I was missing. I also pasted in the recommended udev rules.

sudo apt install libreadline7 libhidapi-hidraw0 libqt5xmlpatterns5

wget http://apt.flirc.tv/arch/x86_64/flirc.latest.x86_64.tar.gz

tar xvzf flirc.latest.x86_64.tar.gz

cd Flirc-3.27.12

After unplugging and replugging the Flirc, I was able to successfully test it:

1. I recorded a key press from my remote, turning it into the 'e' key. Then I pressed the key on the remote again and it typed an 'e'!
    1. Flirc-3.27.12$ ./flirc_util record e
       Press any button on the remote to link it with 'e'

Succesfully recorded button

Flirc-3.27.12$ e

2. I successfully started the GUI, and upgraded the firmware via the GUI
  3. I successfully confirmed the firmware update, the self test, and the stored 'e key' macro. 
    1. Flirc-3.27.12$ ./flirc_util settings
      FW Version: v4.10.3
         SKU:     Flirc 2.0 [dori]
         Branch:  release
         Config:  release
         Hash:    0x9E8F9304

Settings:
        sleep detection:  always enabled
        noise canceler:   always enabled
        inter-key delay:  N/A for current firmware
        variant:          Flirc
        builtin profiles: NA
        Memory Info:      NA
        product sku:      Flirc 2.0 [dori]

Recorded Keys:
      Index  hash       IK   ID  key
      -----  --------   ---  --  ------------
          0  F6F39F97   054  01  e

Flirc-3.27.12$ ./flirc_util unit_test
      Flirc Okay

Issues encountered

1. Adding the repository, per the docs, did not work at all for me, it comes up as 'insecure' and even using the apt flags for --allow-unauthenticated didn't help. The x86_64 repo doesn't have a Release file. That seemed to be one source of the issues, but I think there are multiple problems that would need to be addressed to allow the repo to work.
  2. After initial install, I was still getting the error below, even though the device showed up in lsusb. Ultimately it seems I was encountering an issue where udev rules are not applied until the device is removed and then reinserted.

Flirc-3.27.12$ ./flirc_util settings
    device disconnected, can't run command

3. Running the Flirc self test unexpectedly erased the key I had recorded during testing.
  4. I was unable to find a download for the firmware, so I had to use the GUI to update the firmware. I probably would not have loaded the GUI or it's dependencies at all otherwise.