Flirc Forums

Modification and Which Product I Should Use

BROLY

I just came across this product and I had a few questions.

Do any of your two devices allow relocation of the IR receiver module? (As in de-solder the receiver and use wires to relocate it.)
I would assume the "Streacom Edition" might be my best bet but, there is a lack of information on whether the receiver module is mounted to the board or not.
I need to know if there is enough voltage being used to power the module, so it might handle being attached to wires and extended.

I am working on a custom CarPC build that will be going in my car. I bought a dead/non-working double din touch screen radio unit to re-use to hold my touch screen panel. The unit came with a remote I would like to be able to use with the computer. The unit also has a spot for an IR receiver on the face plate that I would want to mount the IR receiver of your product to.

Here are some images for reference:

http://up.broly.co/2016-09-05_14-58-27.jpg

http://up.broly.co/2016-09-05_14-58-36.jpg

http://up.broly.co/2016-09-05_14-58-45.jpg

Edited by BROLY

Hi,

What about just removing plastic case from Flirc-USB and mounting it with receiver pointing in the right direction in the HU frame? The PCB is really not that thick.

As for the desoldering it should be possible but it's not easy, as this is surface mounted element. You would probably need a hotair soldering gun and a lot of patience to properly heat up the receiver and the PCB for them not to break. The receiver chip uses 5 pins. After that you shouldn't use a long cable. It's not about the voltage for powering the chip but rather the signal output to the main micro-controller. I wouldn't make it more than 10-15 cm (4-6"). I think it would be much better idea to extend the USB connection, as it uses differential signalling so it's much more resistant to interference - and you will get a lot of those in an automobile electronics.

Ah i had a feeling it might be surface mounted.

The issue mostly is cable runs, the computer it's self will be mounted in the trunk of the car. I might be able to work in the normal USB module somewhere possibly running the extension through my headliner and having it come out near the mirror. Or I might be able to find a way to cleanly mount it in the dash some how (has to be removable).

My biggest limiting factor on this build is, I need to be able to go back to stock without much of an issue, so trying to put a little holes in panels and metal as possible.

How well does the module handle USB 3.0? I am using a rather beefy 32 port USB 3.0 Hub running a custom power supply to handle all the devices and sensors I will have installed in the car.

Are there any spec sheets on the device like full measurements and such? Something I could use to go off of, for CAD designing something.

Edited by BROLY