Flirc Forums

[XBMC] How to quickly skip to a letter in a movies title

Grippen

Hi everyone,

This is my first post here so be gentle :)

I bought a flirc receiver 4 or 5 months ago. In general its working fine I can do what I need via the remote control without the need of the keyboard.

First let me explain what HW and SW I'm using.

- Acer Revo as media center player (media shared via network from my desktop)

- XBMC installed on the Revo Windows version over Win 7 Starter

- Universal Philips Prestigo SRT8215 remote control with TV, IPTV box and DVD player pre configured

The Revo doesn't have any remote only the wireless keyboard and mouse.

Now I will explain how I configured everything (it was a while ago so I don't remember every detail):

- Installed and Plugged the USB flirc SW/receiver

- Since I didn't have a remote for the Revo I decided to use the DVD player which was configured on the Prestigo. Note that this remote was configured manually since the DVD player didn't exist on the Philips database

- Selected the XBMC pre configuration on the flirc SW and adapted some of the keys to the tasks I wanted, left the main ones intact.

Now the problem:

Since the load of movies is increasing I decided to try and solve my problem, up until now I've been leaving with it but it becomes very annoying having to press the arrow keys repidately to pass to the next/previous movie.

Not sure if I'm making myself clear but in other words, when I use the original keyboard from the revo if I leave one of arrow keys pressed the browsing through movies continues basically I do not have to press the arrow key for each movie. Using the Prestigo this doesn't happen when I press and hold one of the arrow keys he only browses to the next movie nothing else so basically if I want to go a movie which starts with "L" I have to press and press and press.... to reach my movie.

How can I solve this problem?

Is it a problem of the DVD player remote I configured? Since it wasn't in the database may have some limitations

Is it related to any configuration on the flirc SW?

Thanks in advance for any support.

Does the remote you're using have a keypad?

If so you can set up XBMC so that it interprets numbers as though they are SMS type letters.

e.g

2 = abc

3 = def

4 = ghi

5 = jkl

6 = mno

7 = pqrs

8 = tuv

9 = wxyz

So to go to the start of the H's in your Movie list press 4 twice

If you see my post (14) in it explains a bit about how to do it.

Does the remote you're using have a keypad?

If so you can set up XBMC so that it interprets numbers as though they are SMS type letters.

e.g

2 = abc

3 = def

4 = ghi

5 = jkl

6 = mno

7 = pqrs

8 = tuv

9 = wxyz

So to go to the start of the H's in your Movie list press 4 twice

If you see my post (14) in it explains a bit about how to do it.

Yes it does have a keyboard just like you mentioned similar to the mobile phones. I will have a look that is even better. Just a question I tried that using a regular keyboard pressing the letter keys and it doesn't provide that shortcut. Is it something new in XBMC not sure which version I have installed currently or is it something on XBMC for quite sometime?

Just a question I tried that using a regular keyboard pressing the letter keys and it doesn't provide that shortcut.

If you press shift and the letter it jumps to that letter and further pressing will skip to the next film that begins with the same letter.

Pleasant regards,

Chris

Ok I got my keypad working with the letters very good tweak took me sometime to figure out where to add the content and find the folder also eheheh

Now I need to correct the arrows issue. I tested last night and it seems that the problem is related to the remote I mapped he can only make only step. I have to find another remote which doesn't have this problem and sends the information while you hold the key.

Thanks for the tip. The problem is I dont have many remotes. My parents only have their TV remote (which is a universal already because they broke the original panasonic one) and a VCR sorny one I was thinking o f using the last because they don't use the VCR anyway. Lets see....

I agree with Chris about the usefulness of pageup and pagedown. I have those mapped to the channel buttons on my remote, as those aren't needed in XBMC and usually those buttons are easy to find in the dark/without looking at the remote. That makes scrolling through large lists MUCH easier.

• 1 month later...

Thought I was having the same problem running OpenElec. I used the XBMC controller to program my remote and I had to press "Down" for each movie. I switched to the full keyborad and programmed the down arrow and now it scrolls with a single press. I'm not sure what they are mapping in the XBMC controller menu, but using the full keyboard worked for me.