Flirc Forums

Clarification of the Harmony Flirc preset and Kodi profile...

slikvik

Hi,

Am I right in thinking the following:

• When selecting Flirc/Kodi in MyHarmony you're actually setting (most of) the buttons to certain IR codes?
  • By default the Flirc is pre-programmed with these IR codes in the Kodi profile so there's no need to "fire" them at the Flirc?

If so, can I ask a few questions?

What are the IR codes based on in the MyHarmony preset, given Flirc isn't a physical remote?

As they're not from a physical remote couldn't you have generated codes for all buttons on the remote, including "Guide" and "Menu", so they could be used in Kodi for EPG etc, without having to now find a spare physical remote to teach the Harmony and then to set the Flirc?

If the Flirc has these codes pre-installed in its Kodi profile, what happens if you overwrite or erase them in the Flirc GUI? Can you reset them back without manually setting them from that point onwards?

Sorry for the questions. Some of these are out of curiosity, some are because I'm surprised you had preset IR codes already in the Flirc\Flirc GUI (if that's indeed true) and some are because I want to clarify things before having to add the extra Kodi functions to the remote. As I said, it's shame these haven't been added yet. Maybe a feature request? ;)

Edited by slikvik

Hi,

Am I right in thinking the following:

• When selecting Flirc/Kodi in MyHarmony you're actually setting (most of) the buttons to certain IR codes?

Yes. It uses custom IR protocol. I don't know the details though. Jason could say more on that subject.

• By default the Flirc is pre-programmed with these IR codes in the Kodi profile so there's no need to "fire" them at the Flirc?

It's not really pre-programmed in the sense of programming it with Flirc GUI. Mappings between Harmony profiles and specific keyboard combos are built-in in the firmware itself.

If so, can I ask a few questions?

What are the IR codes based on in the MyHarmony preset, given Flirc isn't a physical remote?

As I've mentioned above it's a custom protocol. I don't know who created it (Jason or Logitech). Profiles have a list of functions which are assigned a code and then are assigned to a button.

As they're not from a physical remote couldn't you have generated codes for all buttons on the remote, including "Guide" and "Menu", so they could be used in Kodi for EPG etc, without having to now find a spare physical remote to teach the Harmony and then to set the Flirc?

You don't need to have a spare remote. I don't know the details (I don't have or use Harmony remote) but you should be able to add another device profile (possibly for a device you don't have at home) and then map some functions from that profile to inactive buttons in Flirc/Kodi profile. At least that's what I've read.

If the Flirc has these codes pre-installed in its Kodi profile, what happens if you overwrite or erase them in the Flirc GUI? Can you reset them back without manually setting them from that point onwards?

As I've mentioned above, those mappings are not really pre-programmed, but built into the firmware. You can't erase them. You can disable them in advanced options in Flirc GUI (there's a checkbox for built-in profiles). You can override them though. You can use a button that has a function in built-in profile and record different key combination for it. User programmed mapping takes precedence. After that, if you want to restore original function from the built-in profile you need to erase that key.

Sorry for the questions. Some of these are out of curiosity, some are because I'm surprised you had preset IR codes already in the Flirc\Flirc GUI (if that's indeed true) and some are because I want to clarify things before having to add the extra Kodi functions to the remote. As I said, it's shame these haven't been added yet. Maybe a feature request? ;)

You can always make feature requests :). Unfortunately Flirc is being developed by a single person and adding something that can be added by a user himself won't have high priority.

• Like 1