Flirc Forums

Remote control mode question - Samsung TV (HL-S4266W)

NickSoapdish

I'm noticing that when I'm in DVD (or VCR,Cable, or STB) mode for the remote for my old Samsung TV (HL-S4266W), not all the buttons are able to be mapped via flirc. Buttons like the four solid color buttons and buttons that pertain to TV functionality (like Antenna CH MGR, Fav. CH, etc) are non-responsive in any mode outside of TV mode by default.

My question - if I try to customize the remote control to work with a different device as it is laid out in the manual (press the DVD button, then press the set button and enter in the 3 digit code), would more of these buttons magically become available since the remote would then be trying to replicate the functionality of a different remote control? Or will I be out of luck, meaning a remote packaged with a TV will always have some extra but way too limited functionality as a universal remote.

Does anyone have a good Manufacturer I could try that would open up a lot of extra buttons on the remote that I can then map into XBMC? Any device in the DVD, VCR, Cable, or STB categories would seem to work.

Thanks!

Buttons like the four solid color buttons and buttons that pertain to TV functionality (like Antenna CH MGR, Fav. CH, etc) are non-responsive in any mode outside of TV mode by default.

I assume because the manufacturer though when in DVD mode (etc) you wouldn't need your favourite channels. Perhaps the remote doesn't send anything when in a different mode.

My question - if I try to customize the remote control to work with a different device as it is laid out in the manual (press the DVD button, then press the set button and enter in the 3 digit code), would more of these buttons magically become available since the remote would then be trying to replicate the functionality of a different remote control?

Possibly. There is only one way to find out though...

Does anyone have a good Manufacturer I could try that would open up a lot of extra buttons on the remote that I can then map into XBMC? Any device in the DVD, VCR, Cable, or STB categories would seem to work.

Can you map a tv device to the dvd category?

Try a tv that is different to the model of tv that you have (i.e. if you have a samsung tv, choose a panasonic for the dvd setting to control flirc). That seems like a good bet to get more buttons working.

pleasant regards

Chris!

Hmm, there are no codes for TVs listed in the manual. I think my best chance of getting more available buttons to map in flirc may be using the Cable button in the hopes that some of the channel themed buttons will send a signal. Too bad this particular remote doesn't have an AUX option. I'll do some trials and post back with what I find.

Thanks for the information Chris!

If this is a remote made specifically for a certain TV, it seems logical to me that they wouldn't provide codes for other TVs.

I would consider getting a different remote. Yours is probably designed to preserve any buttons that don't need remapping when in a different device mode, like the volume, so that you can switch to a different device and still use those functions. Incidentally, a more recent TV's remote probably would provide codes for the colored buttons in a BD player mode, as that format uses them for various functions (anything the disc author wants them to do, but bookmarking is the most common use).

If you get a Harmony remote, you'll be able to customize buttons to a great degree. If you don't want to spend much, there are some models without screens that are inexpensive.

I hate to recommend additional hardware too, as part of the Flirc allure is that it works with any remote that sends a standard IR signal, and any computer that works with standard USB keyboards, but in this case I have to agree with SirDrexl. I have a Samsung TV and remote, but the remote is far too limiting to suit me as I need a lot more control than the remote itself allows. If you do decide to replace it, I've seen decent multi-unit universal remotes starting below $20. I think I spent about $45 on mine (URC-RF20). One feature I like most is that it gives me an indicator on its lcd screen when it's sending IR signal, so when I choose a hardware profile that has inactive buttons, it's obvious the second I press one of them. Something like that or a Logitech Harmony are ideal for multi-device control, and they can be programmed as generically as the Flirc can, so you can wind up with complete control and flexibility for a relatively small additional investment.

Posting back with my findings... and the results aren't good.

Most of the TV centric buttons aren't mapping using another device setting for the remote. I can probably map enough to get by, as this remote will only get occasional use. It is on a TV in the basement that doesn't get used a whole lot, so for basic XBMC playback it should suffice.

I do have a Harmony remote that I use on a different TV/PC and I am going to pair up with another flirc device soon, so I'm looking forward to that match up!

Oh no! That's not too good.

Not that I want to recommend you buy more stuff just for Flirc but in case you wanted a cheap remote for your basement tv:

I use a harmony 300 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-Harmony-300-Remote-Universal/dp/B003BJTPBW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335294579&sr=8-1) - it's not as flashy as the other harmony remotes but is damn good (I prefer it to the remote my samsung tv came with) and it's only £17.

Thanks for reporting back - valuable information for everyone.